Walking or hitch-hiking???

This is a discussion on Walking or hitch-hiking??? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Scenario: You are coming home from an all day late summer fishing trip. The lake is 25 miles from any civilization and has little traffic ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking or hitch-hiking???

Distinguished Member

Walking or hitch-hiking???

Scenario:

You are coming home from an all day late summer fishing trip. The lake is 25 miles from any civilization and has little traffic on the road. You left at 4:00 AM and its now approaching 8:00 PM, so you are tired and your phone batteries are low. After traveling 8 miles towards home your pick-up dies. You attempt to make several calls- but only get busy signals and by the third call your phone is now dead.

It is almost dusk, and you decide to start walking towards home. You check your CCW weapon, its loaded, on your side, and covered. You grab your Mag-lite, a light jacket, bottle of water, lock-up your pick-up and head down the road.

After covering 3 miles you hear a car coming up from behind you. The car sees you in their head-lights, and pulls up to you. The car is a 2-door with 3 shady looking males in it. 2 in the front seat, and one in the backseat on the passengers side. Your right side is your strong side and you carry on the right side.

They roll the window down and ask if you would like a lift? It is starting to cool off, and you have a 14 mile walk ahead of you-- What is your next move?

Does carrying give you the confidence and courage to "get in" or would this be breaking the rule of "avoidance" if something were to happen.?

SleepingZ

2. Remove Ads

under no circumstance would i get in that car. carrying only means you should be even more cautious and wary of situations like this. tired beats dead, hands down.

Lead Moderator
    Walk, I can always sleep in the woods / grass whatever if need be, or walk all night. I cannot if I am not alive.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I would opt not to get in the car. Once in the car, you've severely handicapped your ability to draw the weapon, and if you did, you run the risk of having it taken from you.

If the "shady" individuals continued down the road, I would surely be wary as I continued down the road.

Senior Moderator
    "No, thank you. I'm just around the corner. Thanks anyway."

Then, I'd put the phone to my head and pretend I'm talking to my husband even though it's dead while keeping my eye on them.

If you get in you are jumping from the frying pan to the fire. You do not know these guys and could put your self in great jepardy. I yhink I would walk the rest of the way and I would tell the people,in the car that someone was on the way to get me. If some thing were to happen you would have a better advantage in the open.

No thanks! Someone is already on the way...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    No thanks! Someone is already on the way...
    +1 on ret...

+1 Lima on the fake out with the cell phone...

Stay safe... Stay in the open and mobile
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I would keep walking as well.

Administrator
    Use your gun to car-jack them - make them all get out and commandeer their vehicle.

Leave them with some fresh fish to eat.
    OK OK Just kidding!

Seriously...14 miles - I'd hike it and would not get in that vehicle.
    Now if I was injured or in dire straights (of course) I might not have much choice but to accept a ride from them.
    In that case I would prefer being in the back seat and would be in a high condition of alert and giving them my full and undivided attention and quietly staying weapon ready.

If there was some reason I absolutely had to be back that night, walk. My prefered option would have been to remain in my vehicle and walk out in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    If there was some reason I absolutely had to be back that night, walk. My prefered option would have been to remain in my vehicle and walk out in the morning.
    Ditto that, at least if there will be sources of water along the way. Maybe a good place for one of those "HELP" banners that I don't carry.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    It is almost dusk, and you decide to start walking towards home. After covering 3 miles you hear a car coming up from behind you. The car is a 2-door with 3 shady looking males in it.

What is your next move? Does carrying give you the confidence and courage to "get in" ...
    Accept a ride from "3 shady looking males" vs something else? I'll take something else, armed or not. It's simply too risky, from my perspective. Pass. Almost anything else makes sense, by comparison.

Given that I keep the range bag (minus firearms and ammo) in the trunk of the car, I'd probably make a sign prior to heading out. Good supply of paper, fat Sharpie markers, tape. I would request that someone call AAA or the police, for assistance. I would hope to remember to include my cell phone nbr, in the event they could "ping" me or call me, to guard against getting stuck where I needed help.

There are two choices, after making the sign, of course: start walking, or head to nearby cover to await the inbound AAA/police. If well-stocked, I'd probably await contact from AAA or police, assuming multiple cars had been going by. Though, if I had less than a quart of water, I believe I'd start walking. 14mi isn't that far, and it wouldn't be blazing hot at 8pm.

Of course, this is a decision being made from the relaxing position of my chair and ottoman. Being caught "out there" can be a bit different. Still, I've traveled enough off the beaten path to be reasonably well-stocked, reasonably prepared and reasonably sure about what I'm able to undertake (such as a 14mi walk in the evening).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Accept a ride from "3 shady looking males" vs something else? I'll take something else, armed or not.
    Yes, specifically 3 shady looking males. If it were 3 shady looking females, I might jump in the car.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    seems that we're all in agreement. I have no qualms about pushing my truck off the road, locking up, and taking a nap in the back of the cab. If I'm going to be doing any walking, I want it to be during daylight unless I have no choice.

Walking is clearly the better option vs getting into a car with 3 guys in the middle of the night. They may have good intentions, or they may want you to lead them back to your house so they can torture/rape/kill everyone in it. That's a little extreme, I know, but there's no way to tell.

The fake cell phone and "I have someone on the way" are great ways to end the encounter. I might also (assuming light traffic) jog across the road and walk along the other side, just in case they decided to pull over and wait for me.

Now, if a uniformed LEO in a marked car pulled up next to me, heard my sad tale of woe, and offered me a ride home after checking out my truck, that might be different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links