Shady

Shady

This is a discussion on Shady within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, the Walking or Hitch Hiking thread got me to thinking, not just this one, but other also, about this "shady" character was walking across ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shady

Shady

Ok, the Walking or Hitch Hiking thread got me to thinking, not just this one, but other also, about this "shady" character was walking across the parking lot, or whatever.

What exactly is "shady"?

How do we each define "shady" when it comes to putting ourselves into a more hightened state of alertness?

Is it gender, color, manner of dress, type of vehicle, the way they walk, the way they talk, thier nervous tick, tattoo's, long hair?

I am not going to answer this just yet, but will wait for some responses before giving my indication as to what "shady" is to me.

Maybe some of us fall under the "shady" character heading of others. Should be interesting.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Assistant Administrator
    Without profiling by intent (and sometimes we profile subconsciously of course, like it or not) - it is for me the ''Spidey Sense" element.

Probably a collection of factors contribute .. and while I am sure folks spot me as maybe looking around a lot and perhaps suspicious, I probably have more of an air of confidence than one of subversiveness!

It's hard to pin down specifics because often I think it is the whole picture we see that suggests ''shady'' - but sometimes too an initial assessment is quickly changed after further observation.

All I'd say is - never disregard instincts - they can be wrong easily but do not dismiss them casually.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    I'm with Chris. For me, shady is another word for "instincts."

There are some poorly dressed, poorly mannered people that haven't put me on any more alert than a pack of peanuts.

However, there are some well dressed, well mannered people that have made my skin crawl, and after polling other people in the area, I wasn't the only person who felt something wasn't right with that individual.

Consequently, they come in all shapes and sizes, genders, colors, hair and eye colors. Their clothes vary and so does their speech and their demeanor.

God gave us instinct for a reason. Instincts designed to keep us alive and well.

When I say I saw a shady looking person it just means for some reason or another they made the hairs on the back of my arms stand up and my mind go through a mental check list of the available options should the SHTF.

Heh. No doubt some would consider me "shady" at first glance. I ride a Harley, often wear a black leather jacket, jeans and boots and have long hair. If, by "shady" you mean someone that puts me in condition yellow on sight, it would depend on many factors. Tattoo's on the neck, shifty eyes, bad teeth are early visual clues that would likely get my attention. I won't ignore the guy with a suit and tie either though.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Without profiling by intent (and sometimes we profile subconsciously of course, like it or not) - it is for me the ''Spidey Sense" element.
    Agreed ^^

In my own life experience my 'spidey sense' will tingle regardless of ones clothing, location, physical actions, other more obvious situational cues or often times referred to as "profile" which more so are 'horse sense' than anything.

Often times a person will just to me seem off or sketchy which I see as being a pseudonym to shady. They might even otherwise come off to me or others as being friendly or helpful in outward intent to myself and/or others.
    If my gut or so called spidey sense begins to tingle though toward them or the situation and tells me to build distance then that is exactly what I'll do.
    In the past almost every time I go against my gut I've found myself holding a bag.

I've learned to trust my gut/instincts/spidey sense and that holding the bag more often than not has the suck.

- Janq recycles his bags paper and plastic
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

A tall bearded man wearing a turban and carrying a Kalashnikov would seem a bit shady to me.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Is it gender, color, manner of dress, type of vehicle, the way they walk, the way they talk, thier nervous tick, tattoo's, long hair?
    Every one of those and maybe a few more. I am, by default, pretty much initially suspicious of everyone. That doesn't mean I'm paranoid or jumpy, it means I just consider everyone. "Shady" characters get more attention, other people get much less. I am a very observant and can "process" my suspicions pretty quickly, either dismissing or assessing someone almost instantly.

.. and while I am sure folks spot me as maybe looking around a lot and perhaps suspicious, I probably have more of an air of confidence than one of subversiveness!
    Same here, some people probably consider me to be suspicious because of my "looking around" (I'm okay with that) but I think most people today are minimally observant.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Lead Moderator
    Lots of stuff. all mentioned, but I mostly key in on demeanor.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

EW3
    Maybe a visual representation is in order? This guy gives me the creeps.

"Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Shady is a politically correct way of avoiding racially profiling a BG. And we all know racial profiling is WRONG.

All I'd say is - never disregard instincts - they can be wrong easily but do not dismiss them casually.
    Agreed. I am reminded of the story about the American FBI agent that was assigned to work with the security contingent of El Al, the Israeli airline, in order to devise a more effective way of preventing hijackings and other crimes involving America's airlines.

When the FBI agent asked the chief security officer of El Al his opinion of why the U.S. had such a poor record of stopping would be hijackers and bombers compared to Israel, the officer replied that Americans look for weapons at airports, but Israelis look for terrorists. In other words, they profile people. Something that is extremely politically incorrect, if not abhorrent to many civil rights groups in America. But the bottom line is IT WORKS.

So regardless of what euphemism we prefer to use instead of profiling, be it "Spidey Sense", gut feeling, or instinct, it is based upon a common core of experience that has proved to be right more often than not.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Lots of stuff. all mentioned, but I mostly key in on demeanor.
    Yep, a persons relative and situational relevant demeanor is a way big tell.
    Even that though isn't infallible along with as noted by others race, clothing, lack of tats, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Bundy

- Theodore Robert 'Ted' Bundy
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Don't ignore your "something's WRONG!" instincts. I can prove we've all been genetically selected as survivors over thousands of generations. If you're reading this...the genes that combine to create your unique DNA have SURVIVED! I'm not a "Branch Darwinian" (Secular Evolutionist) but it only makes sense that we, as surviving members of our species, are possibly more "sensitive" to danger than are DNA combos not here anymore to enjoy this conversation.

Anyone who's never had their bacon saved by a SCREAMING, FLASHING, NECK-HAIR RAISING, bolt from the blue that said "PAY ATTENTION RIGHT NOW" simply needs to get out more. Attention and Situational Awareness are wonderful skills & life-saving habits. But never disregard that sudden Cold Chill, because it usually means more than you realize.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Rule 18 Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them).

Rule 21 Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    Rule 18 Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them).

Rule 21 Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
    You've got this right...

I trust few people, I have few friends (many associates)...I have become very cognizant of my surroundings. I'm a people watcher...and I become suspicious of OTHER people watchers (heck, I was looking in the mirror and became suspicious of myself ).

Dress and race have become 'less suspect' for me...
    I tend to ignore those who appear to operate in a BRIGHT WHITE LIGHT...

People watchers fall into two types...the prepared GG's, and the prepared BG's...one needs to, somehow, guess (an educated/experienced guess) the difference!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links