Incident at the 7-11

Incident at the 7-11

This is a discussion on Incident at the 7-11 within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened years ago...I have had my Florida CWP for 14 years...and this was shortly after I started carrying... My new wife (now my old ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incident at the 7-11

Incident at the 7-11

This happened years ago...I have had my Florida CWP for 14 years...and this was shortly after I started carrying...

My new wife (now my old lady ;) ) worked at a 7-11. Back in those days...the store she worked at, while being in an "industrial area" and at a major intersection...wasn't in "too bad" of a part of town...but it wasn't far from a bad section of town.
    Also back then...the local 7-11's only stayed open until midnight...but also only had one clerk on on night shifts.

As was my habit...I was waiting for her to close up...and I was standing just inside and to the left of the entry reading a magazine. Because this was my habit...I had also gotten comfortable with my surroundings (and it helped too that I worked only a couple blocks from there myself during the day) and as such...made the near fatal mistake of leaving my old S&W645 in my van...

Since I was at the store for an hour or more each night, I usually parked a little off to one of the side spaces in the front of the store...but not directly in front of the store. This facilitated a couple of things...one...it encouraged customers to park right out front where I could see them....and allowed me to keep 'peeps' on my van.

At about 11:45...this car pulls slowly through the parking lot with 4 black gents in it...and then proceeds to "back" into a space over next to my van...in the next space closer to the door from it. This piqued my interest...so I was keeping a close watch on them. Where they were parked would make it impossible to ID the car well... or see the tag at all...from the clerks spot by the register.

Three of the men from the car filed into the store...leaving the driver sitting with the engine running...I could see the exhaust as it was rather cool outside. OH CRAP! (remember...my 645 was in the van) As the three filed in...they split up and wandered the aisles of the store looking rather interested in me...and it appeared that they were being awfully particular since they "cleared" every aisle in the place.

I told my wife that I would be right back...and made a big production of leaving the magazine open to indicate that I was coming right back. I went to my van...observing the driver (these guys were now BG's in my mind) without making eye contact. I retrieved my .45 and slid it into the waistband at the small of my back and then put my jacket on to help conceal it. Fortunately since they had backed in...the BG in the car could not see what all I was doing on the other side of my van.

I re-entered the store and resumed my position by the magazine rack...but I did not resume reading. I placed myself in a position to be able to observe the 3 BG's in the store...and the BG in the car. I kept my dominant hand hidden by the wall...and had it resting on the butt of the Smith....

Between the three of them...they bought one Slurpee...after spending nearly ten minutes in the store. I caught one of them kind of staring at me...but I disregarded him and made it a point not to stare back.

They seemed upset that I had come back in...and no wonder...my 4'9" wife would have been no contest for those three...and who knows how that might have turned out.

They returned to the car...and there seemed to be some sort of lively discussion going on...I told my wife to get the phone in her hand and be prepared to dial 911 if they made the slightest move...then just as slowly as they pulled in...they drove out.

Then the adrenaline hit...and I was shaking like a leaf. There is no doubt in my mind that they were BG's preparing to rob and do who knows what else to my wife...and it was still a close call...because I allowed myself to be comfortable enough to leave my gun in my van.

That was a valuable lesson learned early on in my carry "career".

Thoughts?

EDIT-In retrospect...I see that I placed this in the wrong forum...my apologies to the PTB on the board.
    Last edited by FloridaShooter; September 11th, 2007 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Posted in incorrect board.
    NRA Certified Basic Pistol and Basic Rifle Instructor
    Coming soon- Range Safety Officer and Metallic Cartridge Instructor Certification

US Concealed Carry Magazine

1943 - 2009
    EDIT-In retrospect...I see that I placed this in the wrong forum...my apologies to the PTB on the board.
    No problem. I'll move it to CCW Tactical Scenarios.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    No problem. I'll move it to CCW Tactical Scenarios.
    Thanks CC!
    Coming soon- Range Safety Officer and Metallic Cartridge Instructor Certification

Sounds like they really had bad intentions. Glad it turned out ok. You never know when trouble will come find you. This is why I carry whenever/wherever I legally can.

There's another thread going about "shady" characters, where many folks listen to the "spidey sense" (intuitions and instinct) when it comes to a situation just not feeling right. Sounds like you saw all the right signals and took appropriate precautions.

You could easily have mistaken those signals for what they really were, but I'd agree that together they seem to point to a robbery in progress: driver waiting in the car; car backed into a space; car's motor running; three people splitting up to apparently "clear" the store of witnesses; the people were apparently disturbed that you returned into the store; their actions and eye contact signalled bad intentions. Altogether, those signals were screaming "robbery" in hi-fidelity. Good on ya, for catching it and protecting yourself and your loved ones.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

A very good example of being aware, though having your firearm in the wrong spot. It sounds as if your presence and awareness were the deterence that won the situation.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Lead Moderator
    Sounds like you did well. A call to 911 might have been a good idea too, if nothing came of the guys in the store no harm, but always to have extra help. 3 to 1 isn't good odds in your favor.
    I imagine you stopped em from a robbery alright.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

As the saying goes a .22 in the hand beats a .45 in the van

Good thing they did not just barge right in with the shock and awe approach. Glad it turned out well for you and your wife.
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Another scenario that shows armed citizens prevent crime.

I'm guessing this incident may have been before cell phones were so common. I'm a big fan of calling the police as early in these situations as possible.

If in a situation like this making a comment to the clerk complaining "when are the cops coming?" might have helped scare them off quicker. Other comments suggesting the arrival of others are another option.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

I think the big thing that would have put me on alert was the backing into the store parking spot. Most people when they pull into a convenient store just pull in because they are in a hurry (especially right before close). One guy staying in the car wail it was running would have also put me on very high alert.

Good Job and hopefully you wife didn't stay to long at the local "Stop and Rob." I don’t want to sound sexist, but women should not be the only ones left in a store at night. BGs think they are easier targets because they are female (don’t agree with that one all the time). Really there shouldn’t be anyone left alone to close up any store.

Store owners have to take a hit on carrying two employees during a slow time. This is costly but not as much as a life or making someone live through a bad situation.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rabywk View Post
    I think the big thing that would have put me on alert was the backing into the store parking spot. Most people when they pull into a convenient store just pull in because they are in a hurry (especially right before close).
    I've backed into convenience store spots before, but it's usually because it's the last spot left and I pulled past it.

I agree, all those factors pointed to something bad happening. Way to be alert. I'm sure you've never forgotten to stick your gun in its holster again, no matter how comfortable you are with your surroundings.

Wonder what 7-11's carry policy is for employees these days... Probably not allowed just like most convenience stores...

Quote Originally Posted by glocksandkahrs View Post
    Wonder what 7-11's carry policy is for employees these days... Probably not allowed just like most convenience stores...
    This was circa 1993...and I had just done a stint working at another 7-11 store part time. Their policy then was to "cooperate" with the BG's...and NO GUNS ALLOWED.

In fact...the trainer told us (in the clerk training class) that under no uncertain terms were we allowed to resist...
    I told her that I would carry their (7-11's) money (register and all) to their car for the BG's...but the moment that I was certain that they intended ME or another employee bodily harm...then the BG was "gonna have to earn it".
    I told her that I refuse to die like a dog groveling at the feet of a BG...she was shocked....dismayed and frustrated at my audacity...but ultimately told me to answer the quiz the way she taught it and she would forget what I'd said...

I carried an FIE .25 in an SOB holster under my "smock" the whole time I worked there...I'd rather be fired than dead...and that store was in a more affluent side of town...

Fortunately...Florida law now requires two or more clerks be on duty between certain hours...and no the wife didn't work there long...but she had been an assistant manager of a family owned chain up in Pa. and had considered going into "Stop and Rob" management down here...but I kind of discouraged that...

Quote Originally Posted by CCWINNC
    As the saying goes a .22 in the hand beats a .45 in the van
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by CCWINNC
    Good thing they did not just barge right in with the shock and awe approach. Glad it turned out well for you and your wife.
    Yeah...me too...and thanks.

Sounds like things could have been very bad...3 BG's is not a good sign...
    Even though you did not have your weapon...bad ...you fixed that situation quickly and probably learned a good lesson.

Both you and your wife are fortunate that these thugs did some 'in the car thinking'...

Glad things worked out...was long ago, but I believe your memory hasd serve you well.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Hindsight is usually far more accurate than real time.

Given that maybe some verbage from the cashier like her looking at the register and saying loudly "Damn it, this thing...alarm has gone off two times already this week."

Or when the guys come in say something like there is already an emergency and you have to close. "Sorry guys, the manager just had a seizure in the back room and I've got to take him to the ER, hit his head pretty bad, closing up now."

In reality it's really hard to think of things like that when you are under stress.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links