Incident while camping last weekend

This is a discussion on Incident while camping last weekend within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm just now getting around to posting this, but here we go. Labor Day weekend my in-laws, wife, son, and I went camping in an ...

Thread: Incident while camping last weekend

VIP Member

Incident while camping last weekend

I'm just now getting around to posting this, but here we go.
    Labor Day weekend my in-laws, wife, son, and I went camping in an out of the way county park in central Texas. Its a place I've been fishing all my life and never had any negative encounters...until now.

Saturday night there around 7 groups of people spread throughout the park, some families, some just groups of young folks. Several of the groups are playing their particular music pretty loud, all but one of them courteously stop at 10PM. The odd one out played the music on and off for a couple of hours and one pickup load left around 1AM (ahhh, sleep).

Then we are abruptly blasted out of our sleep by some vulgar loud rock music. My wife looks at her watch...its 4:30AM!!! At this point I'm really ticked off. My mother-in-law gets up about 20 minutes later since she couldn't sleep and stokes the coals/adds wood and charcoal to get our campfire going again.
    The wife and I leave the tent for nature's calling and I say I'm going to call the Sheriff's department since they looked young and I could see they were drinkiing (about 50 yards from our campsite heard them talking about their beer). I call, give description of whats happening, then decide to go back to the tent to get fully dressed in case the officers need to talk to me (and to get my glock and accessories on me that were in the tent).

I hear the guys scream at each other and thought the deputies were already there so I look out the tent. They had cut off the music, noticed the ladies hanging around the now blazing fire, and the 3 of them came walking around our truck to the ladies with their beer cans in hand. I'm now in my underwear looking out the tent door with my glock in hand about 15 yards away, 90 degress to their right. They say, "hey, whats up?" to the ladies and come within about 10-12 yds of them. My wife shines my maglite in their faces (I'm so glad I taught her that and she did it perfectly) they all 3 squinted and covered their eyes, and my mom-in-law turns around and tells them, "no, y'all don't come over here after waking up the whole d*** campground, y'all just get the h*** out of here!"

During this I was pulling up my shorts with one hand while holding the 45 at low ready in the other LOL. The young males slowly turned around and went back to their truck (by this point I'm coming out of the tent gun in hand in the dark, no way they see me yet). Then they cranked up the music and left us with some parting vulgar insults to which I just stared at them sternly (reholstered by this point).

If they had done anything differently or wouldn't have complied with my mom-in-laws request, I would have made myself known and told them some more harsh demands . I'm thankful the situation wasn't escalated.

My thoughts/lessons:
    1) I should have called the sheriff's dept sooner, like as soon as it started
    2) When I left the tent for nature's calling, I should have already had my glock on me (its that way at home, I should have done it even if I was just outside my tent)
    3) I'm glad I was prepared with my "tools", glad the wife had the flashlight and reacted appropriately
    4) my wife REALLY need to get a paddle holster for her G26 so she could have had it on her instead of in the tent
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

2. Remove Ads

Glad it all worked out for you, did the cops ever show up? What are the laws where you regarding being armed in a State Park, becareful and stay safe.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Yes, I would have called the sheriff sooner...protection the family IS important!
    Wasn't there a park ranger around?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I think you handled it perfectly. Yeah, they were inconsiderate for being noisy into the wee hours, but I tend to be pretty tolerant of that kind of thing so long as they keep to themselves.

The only observations I have are the ones you already noted. Arm yourself, arm your wife, arm your MiL if possible, and especially if you're not at home, always have your gun within arms reach.

One more thing -> invest in some boxers so you won't have to fidget with getting your pants on while your wife is being accosted.

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    (its that way at home, I should have done it even if I was just outside my tent)
    Did I read that right...you carry your gun to the bathroom...at home???

Don't get me wrong...I have carried mine with me....if I already had it...and besides...I have a 12g stashed near the door of the bathroom in the master bedroom (which is the only bathroom I tend to use at my house)...but explain...I am mainly curious.

If you get out of bed at 2 am to go pee...you take your gun to the bathroom with you? Or am I misunderstanding?

I guess I am not that much of a stalwart about carrying inside my home. I always have one near me...mostly unless I am in the bathroom...unless I am home alone...since my entire family knows where the loaded guns are...and how to use them...plus we have 6 mostly large and medium breed dogs around and inside the house.

I was witness to a similar situation to yours when I was a teen. We were bowhunting in the Mogollon Rim area of Arizona...and had a similar occurance. The only adult male in our group (apparently) waited for the loud drunks to finally pass out around 3:30AM and then strangely enough when I awoke at 5:30 the groups tent was collapsed on top of them...and was wet with dew (or at least I think it was dew....ewwww......)

They left that day...I don't really know why....
    NRA Certified Basic Pistol and Basic Rifle Instructor
    Coming soon- Range Safety Officer and Metallic Cartridge Instructor Certification

US Concealed Carry Magazine

You covered the things you needed to improve upon as far as I can see. I hate it when people are so inconsiderate of those around them. We are becoming a society that could care less about anyone else and it is sad. Our county parks have park police that tour through periodically, especially when ten o'clock quiet hour arrives. I am glad for that.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Glad everything worked out. You handled it fine.

In this situation I would have chosen to make myself known. Not only that, I would have really pumped up and made a show of letting them know that they are not welcome. Loud gruff voice and all.

They left thinking that there were only two ladies there at the campsite. I want them to know that there are two ladies and a big bad male that isn't afraid to defend the area if need be. They need to leave thinking "what the hell that guy is crazy".

I don't want them getting any ideas later on while I am sleeping. They have already proven that they are willing to approach your area at a time when they know they are not welcome. A few more beers and who knows what else they will think of.

IMHO.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaShooter View Post
    Did I read that right...you carry your gun to the bathroom...at home???
    doesn't everyone?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    doesn't everyone?
    Yeah, who doesn't?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    i'll answer all the questions.....

NCHornet: did the cops ever show up?
    no, I left out that part....I called them back when the idiots left giving a description of the pickup and direction heading, there was no sense in them coming back at that point
    What are the laws where you regarding being armed in a State Park first, it wasn't a state park it was officially a county park, either way CHLs cannot be prevented from carrying in/on state/county/city-owned property (including parks), except for the places listed in the law (court-house, secured area of airport, inside a school, etc etc etc)

retsupt99: Wasn't there a park ranger around? no, they don't have any, just the occassional sheriff deputy or game warden coming through

Bob The Great: arm your MiL if possible I've been working on them for a few years now LOL, I talk about incidents and SD situations all the time, they aren't anti, they just don't feel compelled to have any firearms at the moment or get their CHL (F-inlaw used to hunt, m-inlaw used to have a pistol she kept in her nightstand when the dad was working nights but they got rid of their few guns years ago) invest in some boxers so you won't have to fidget with getting your pants on while your wife is being accosted for the record....they're boxer-briefs LOL, I guess I didn't state the facts in the best way, when the scumbags got into our camp I was pulling up my shorts and heading our the door of the tent, I was walking towards them and they never noticed me due to being blinded and drunk, I was about 10yds away from them 90deg to their right when I stopped and they turned away and left

FloridaShooter: Did I read that right...you carry your gun to the bathroom...at home???
    If you get out of bed at 2 am to go pee...you take your gun to the bathroom with you?
    I carry a pistol on my when I'm at home, not just when I go to the bathroom, and no I don't get the pistol from the holster if I go to the bathroom at night. I should have said, I have my pistol on me when I leave my house, I should have had it on me when I left my tent for the nature call.

BIG E: They left thinking that there were only two ladies there at the campsite. I want them to know that there are two ladies and a big bad male that isn't afraid to defend the area if need be. They need to leave thinking "what the hell that guy is crazy". They did know I was there, when they got in the truck, turned the lights on, and circled around the campsites they could clearly see me at that point (standing where I had been the whole time) by the light of the fire and the lanterns we had on. I think the reason for the departing expletives was because I was staring them down pretty good and had my palm touching the grip of the glock
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    i'll answer all the questions.....

BIG E: They left thinking that there were only two ladies there at the campsite. I want them to know that there are two ladies and a big bad male that isn't afraid to defend the area if need be. They need to leave thinking "what the hell that guy is crazy". They did know I was there, when they got in the truck, turned the lights on, and circled around the campsites they could clearly see me at that point (standing where I had been the whole time) by the light of the fire and the lanterns we had on. I think the reason for the departing expletives was because I was staring them down pretty good and had my palm touching the grip of the glock
    Good man!
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Zebra Dude...

Most excellent post! Very good read! I think you have all lessons learned covered and nothing to add!

Oh, by the way.... that MIL is a "fiesty" one isn't she? Good for her! and excellent tactics by the wife, ruining their night vision!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    doesn't everyone?
    Uh yeah...Who doesn't? Mine is ALWAYS on me or within reach (including bathroom and shower times - God Bless Tupperware). This is especially the case while out in the bush.

edit:
    Oh btw: If you ever venture out of your tent at 2am to pee and realize you're peeing in front of a 400lb bear...you'll tend to want to remember that gun next time. Been there. Done that.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Zebra Dude...

Most excellent post! Very good read! I think you have all lessons learned covered and nothing to add!

Oh, by the way.... that MIL is a "fiesty" one isn't she? Good for her! and excellent tactics by the wife, ruining their night vision!
    no comment on the MIL, she probably monitors me on here and will call my cell within 2 minutes of posting something LOL
    and yes the wife did well, I taught her that a couple of years ago
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Uh yeah...Who doesn't? Mine is ALWAYS on me or within reach (including bathroom and shower times - God Bless Tupperware). This is especially the case while out in the bush.

edit:
    Oh btw: If you ever venture out of your tent at 2am to pee and realize you're peeing in front of a 400lb bear...you'll tend to want to remember that gun next time. Been there. Done that.
    yes, God bless tupperware, it rained on us a few times and I was glad I was carrying the Glock

.....and if a 400lb bear was encountered where we were in central Texas then something ain't right, he's a little far from home lol
    (the AK was in the tent btw ), only critters where we were is armadillos, racoons, snakes, squirrels, deer, turkey, and the 2 legged variety of varmits
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Links