Hotel Room Invasion

This is a discussion on Hotel Room Invasion within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last weekend I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. Unfortunately, I am no smarter. I was speaking with the night clerk Saturday morning and she ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hotel Room Invasion

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar

Hotel Room Invasion

Last weekend I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. Unfortunately, I am no smarter.

I was speaking with the night clerk Saturday morning and she tells me that there was a computer mix up (read: the last person screwed up) and she gave a room to a guest at 0430, which was already occupied. So, the tired guest goes to his floor, finds his room, and when he places his key into the reader, the green light comes on and he opens the door.

Thankfully, the sleeping guest had used the internal lock and the door did not fully open. The situation was quickly resolved after the guest called down to the desk. She said she was surprised he did not call the police.

Now, if the door had come open I imagine more than a few here might have put some holes in the unsuspecting morning visitor. Rule 1: ALWAYS LOCK THE DOOR FROM THE INSIDE. Rule 2: SEE RULE 1.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Why would some have put holes anywhere? What was the threat? Who's life or limb was at risk? Know your target.

Would it scared the crap out of me- probably. Very good point of using the secondary locks inside.

SleepingZ

VIP Member
    Since I spend 250+ nights a year in hotel rooms, so this has happened to me. I didn't feel the need to pop off any rounds or anything like that. The little swing arm stops them if the deadbolt doesn't. I'm usually pretty good about locking both so it has only happened to me once, but the secondary stopped the door.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

On the rare ocassion we need a hotel room (last time was on a summer trip) the internal locks are used, the dogs are at the door, and my Kimber is on the nightstand...unwanted visitors should 'HOPE' the inside locks work...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

my 1911 sleeps next to a bright flashlight....

When in a hotel room, my Insight tac light is mounted on my G-23 next to me. I also have a secondary Surefire 6P.

I would always do my absolute best to ID the target for threats with a blinding light from the pistol mounted light.

I spend a good amount of time on the road. Certainly not as much as many, but frequently enough. I always make sure all inside door locks are engaged.

I don't do that haphazardly either. I've never "forgotten" to secure my room door. I have thought about investing in one of those hanging alarms you place on your doornob or one of those "wedge" type alarms you place on the floor a few inches from the door that activates when it opens a few inches. They are pretty reasonably priced.

The reason I feel a door alarm is great, is that once activated, I really do not see any intruder continuing into the room once it goes off. He has lost all elements of surprise or stealth and his main concern is going to be fleeing. Hopefully that would eliminate any shooting incident in the first place. Anyone stupid enough to continue into your legal domicile after tripping an alarm deserves to be shot!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Use all the devices that come with the door and the door lock. It depends on the lock, but the night/privacy lever should not allow a newly issued room key, associatte key or even regular master key to work. Portable alarms are great but you can also add a layer of security by placing a chair behind the door or even your luggage. anything that will interrupt the BG's entrance and give you a chance to defend yourself.

Also, make sure the door is closed & locked! I have seen people that leave the room and not bothering to check if the door closed properly. It is not unusual for me to find 3 to 4 rooms every day where the guest left the room & the door did not close properly.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    Why would some have put holes anywhere? What was the threat? Who's life or limb was at risk? Know your target.
    sleepingZ
    Nicely put!

Threats

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post

Would it scared the crap out of me- probably. Very good point of using the secondary locks inside.

SleepingZ
    +1 Dont think I would want to be in the mess that would bring.
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

Senior Moderator
    In a hotel, one can not be too jumpy. I can't say how many times this kind of mix-up has happened to me and/or my family, or even how many times a maid has come in unaware, thinking that the room was unoccupied.

Nope.. no hole punching for me.

I'm in hotels almost constantly for work as well. I can't say I've ever had that happen to me that I'm aware of, as anytime I am in the room the deadbolt is locked and the slide thing is locked too. I did stay in a hotel one night in Iowa that had no deadbolt (!) and the slide thing was all messed up. I was mad but it was the only available room apparently. I took a chair and wedged it under the door knob plate as tightly as I could. I couldn't make the door budge so I was happy. But I have stayed in some sketchy places where I wouldn't be happy unless I could keep a SWAT team in the closet...

I too, like a previous poster spend a lot of time in hotels. I have walked in on families, singles, etc. Matter of fact, I expect to walk in on people it has happend so much. I stand at the threshold and push the door open to see what I see. Heck, I've been walked in on making a magnificent piece in the restroom (turned out to be a hotel audit). NK.

I had this happen to me once. I was give an occupied room and had my arms full, kicked in the door, lucky that the swing arm stopped it. The occupant came screaming through the opening. By the time I got down the the front desk the clerk already had an ear full.
    Semper Fi!

Engineers Up!

Buy a little rubber doorstop and carry in your luggage. Great piece of security equipment when some locks may not work. Just wedge it under the door when closed.

Be sure of the target.

I would hope that none on this forum would respond to this by popping off any rounds through the door or into the person had the little arm lock not been engaged.

I would not want to be on the other side of the table when the officer was asking what I was thinking by blasting the housekeeping staff or the guest that was given the wrong card.

Even though there is no room to retreat in a motel room, those loud verbal commands would definately be in order before a trigger pull should the person continue to enter the room after they realized it was occupied or after you think they should have realized it was occupied.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links