Sleeping in the car.

Sleeping in the car.

This is a discussion on Sleeping in the car. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just returned from Texas, drove from KY. The whole trip took 3 days. Kind of a bounce trip. So on the way down I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar

Sleeping in the car.

I just returned from Texas, drove from KY. The whole trip took 3 days. Kind of a bounce trip.

So on the way down I drove 15 hrs straight through. I arrived at 4:30am and the hotel wanted another nights rent because I was checking in before 9am. Oh, I don't think so. So I decided to go out into the parking lot and kick back for a few hours. Now, this place was lit well and was next to a restaurant. Not in a dark alley. I pulled up next to the front entrance under a light. Had my M&P9 on my hip and my .38 revo in my lap.

On the trip back I pulled into a rest area about 7am and grabbed 2 hrs sleep. I decided to pull up by 2 rigs. Thought about safety in numbers. Same setup with my firearms.

Ok, I know these are not ideal situations, but these are the decisions I made. Tried to be as safe as possible, but there are always things that can go wrong.

Thoughts, feelings, ideas?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    IF I were to sleep in my vehicle I think I would want a couple of those sunshields to put in the windshields and those car window shades so as to block prying eyes as much as possible. Parking around semis might be a wise idea but it also blocks the view of a sheepdog in case a wolf appears. It is better than a deserted parking lot.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Sounds pretty good. Whenever I park somehwere for ANY length of time I look for cameras on buildings and tall light structures. Good CYA if someone were to approach. If I were trying to sleep and no camera was accessible, obviously firearm and extra mags would be on me belt :) Think you positioned for prevention just fine.
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

I know many folks that have skipped the convenience of a highway rest stop for a Walmart parking lot. Many are open 24/7, have parking lot security patrols, exterior security cameras and cleaner restrooms than some rest stops. They also have a better selection of road trip food. At my local Walmart on a good night there can be 7 to 10 class A motor homes, pickup campers, and cars with towels in the windows for privacy at the edge of the parking lot.

Consider a car holster for your revolver. Personally, I move around a lot in my sleep. Keeping a revolver on my lap during a nap, I would be concerned about it not being in the right spot when I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by glembe View Post
    Consider a car holster for your revolver. Personally, I move around a lot in my sleep. Keeping a revolver on my lap during a nap, I would be concerned about it not being in the right spot when I need it.
    Yeah, like on the floor under the brake pedal!

I have a kydex holster for my XD9sc attached to a piece of 2" wide x 12" long x 1/8" thick steel strap (bar stock) bolted to the floor board (center hump). It extends at about a 45 degree angle right next to the center console. It's below the dash and places the gun next to my right knee. It doesn't interfere with gas pedal operation or braking and places the guns grip in a natural but verticle position so grabbing it is just like reaching down to shake hands.

It's a rock solid mount that's bolted to the floor, so unlike mounting a holster to the thin plastic dash itself, there's no risk of pulling the dash apart when drawing the gun in a hurry. Also I don't have to turn my hand 90 degrees to draw the gun like I would if it was mounted to the underside of the dash by the steering wheel.

I coated the steel strapping stippled with epoxy and then painted it to match the dash color and prevent rust.

It took about 1/2 a day to design, work out the position and fabricate the mount. For the floor mount we drilled and bolted one end of the steel strapping to one side of a steel hinge. We used a hinge so we could adjust the strapping to keep the holster a few inches away from the center console to allow for a good and unimpeded grip and draw of the gun from the kydex holster which is mounted at the top end of the strap. Then we spot welded the hinge so it is frozen in place and won't move and then bolted the other side of the hinge to the floor. We also used large flat washers on the underside of the car with RTV silicone as a gasket to seal the holes we drilled in the floor where the bolt passes to waterproof the whole mount.

Again, it is a rock solid mount and the gun doesn't vibrate going down the road. It isn't going anywhere. We definitely put a lot of thought into the design to ensure it is something I feel comfortable staking my life on. I know in a high stress situation, when I go for the gun, only the gun is coming out and I'm not going to end up with the holster and a chunk of dash still attached to my gun as I felt might happen had I mounted the holster directly to the dashboard.

Several of the undercover drug task force officers were really drooling over it thought it was a sweet set up. Very discreet and not visible when standing at the drivers window from the outside because the steering wheel blocks all view. Great anti-car jacking set up.
    Last edited by Bark'n; September 13th, 2007 at 05:57 AM.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I'll admit I've done this myself. My only recommendations would be to use the windshield sun shield thingies to block the front and back windows, it helps keep people from looking in on you. And be sure to crack the driver's side window a little so that you get some air.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

When you say you put your 38 in your lap, is that just layed in your lap or was it covered with something? I don't know what kind of vehicle you drive but in most vehicles if someone was to approach and take a peek in while your sleeping your lap is definately visible to them. If they were really intent on starting some trouble that may be a good incentive to proceed with bad intentions.

Depending on your daily activities that day, I might have waited out the first couple of hours the first morning in the restaruant, got something to eat and chilled a bit until 9 when the room was available. That is assuming you were staying there for that next night. I don't know if I prefer between to big rigs or up front close to the building under some lights at a rest area, I gues it would depend on the the layout of the place.

Shades in the window are good idea, but I don't carry them so not an option for me. When I was very young in the miltary I would often stop at a roadside historical marker or some similar place on the way to or from Colorado and catch a few hours sleep. Not the smartest thing but hey I was really young and invincible at that time.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Moderator
    +1 a Wal Mart if you can find one.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    only thing I can think of is the revolver in the lap needs to be secured (maybe you had it in a holster)
    shades and cracking the window a bit for fresh air but also to hear anyone scrounging around too!
    sounds to me like a good choice on the parking lot
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member
    I would also vote for the Wal-mart lot.

SleepingZ

Bark'n....got pics of your setup?

Years ago, while single and PCSing, I've spent many an hour in a rest stop with my P226/9mm with me, under my blanket. In the thousands of miles driven, I had one State Trooper scare the crap out of me and knock on the window. He was seeing if I was OK--I told him yes, that I was tired and was taking a nap. Fortunately, he didn't ask for ID or anything else. He cautioned me about crimes in rest stops...I told him I would be careful. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep after that encounter.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I'm no holster maker, but for those that are...try to follow me here:
    IF you're parked on the side of the road or walmart or wherever and you're sleeping in the front seat, most likely you aren't wearing your seatbelt right? That being the case, has anyone thought of maybe mounting the male half of a seat belt clip to a holster...so it effectively snaps into the female half of the seatbelt clasp? That would put it within easy reach for a right-handers draw, no? Granted this would only work if the vehicle was NOT moving and you're parked for a while (since you obviously need the use of your seatbelt while in motion).

-just a thought for you ingenuitive fabricators out there.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Well I was in a rental (by the way... the 2007 Nissan Altima drives and sleeps like a dream) and mounting stuff was not an option. The sun blockers are a great idea... didn't have any.

I actually was parked in front of the building at the rest stop. The truckers start pulling onto off ramps and into anywhere they can. The whole rest stop was plum full up. I just slid in a grabbed a spot between them.

As for the .38 snub in my lap. I guess I should clarify. It was in my Mika's pocket holster and tucked under my right hand. It was out of sight and I don't move around so that was not an issue.

Wish I could have gotten to a Wally World. Interstate 40E in the middle of Arkansas... no Wally World, no nothin.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

In my youth I'd pull off the road when I got sleepy. First I'd find a side road then another side road just far enough to be out of sight from the main road. Pull the car (or the motorcycle as it happened) into a treeline and walk back out to the road to make sure I couldn't be seen directly or that there was no reflection if a set of headlights swept my position. If necessary I'd toss a poncho liner over the front of the car or bike. I always carried a sleeping bag and sleeping pad and usually a small tent. That was then. Back then, I didn't mind waking up on the cold hard ground and things didn't creak when I rolled over. But it was the infantryman in me to look for the woods as protection. If I was a little nervy, I might take some cans from my back seat and put a few pebbles inside them and toss them along likely avenues of approach. If I ever decide to do that again, it's going to be in one of these: http://www.sportsmobile.com/ultimate.html
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    In my youth I'd pull off the road when I got sleepy. First I'd find a side road then another side road just far enough to be out of sight from the main road. Pull the car (or the motorcycle as it happened) into a treeline and walk back out to the road to make sure I couldn't be seen directly or that there was no reflection if a set of headlights swept my position. If necessary I'd toss a poncho liner over the front of the car or bike. I always carried a sleeping bag and sleeping pad and usually a small tent. That was then. Back then, I didn't mind waking up on the cold hard ground and things didn't creak when I rolled over. But it was the infantryman in me to look for the woods as protection. If I was a little nervy, I might take some cans from my back seat and put a few pebbles inside them and toss them along likely avenues of approach. If I ever decide to do that again, it's going to be in one of these: http://www.sportsmobile.com/ultimate.html
    Now that's a slick vehicle...have you seen one in person?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links