Maybe I should carry a second mag - Page 2

Maybe I should carry a second mag

This is a discussion on Maybe I should carry a second mag within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There's nothing wrong with your reasoning. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. My main carry is a 10 shot....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree169Likes

Thread: Maybe I should carry a second mag

There's nothing wrong with your reasoning.

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. My main carry is a 10 shot.
    Remy likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

Senior Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    I usually carry at least 1 extra mag or speedloader/strip.
    As for seating. I try to sir facing the door and/or register. When with Wife we sit across from each other unless we're against a wall.
    Wife carries too.
    I prefer having my strong side on the inside. If need be, the gun can be out and staged yet unseen.
    Strong side to isle there's increased possibility of printing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    I was sitting in Denny's at 5:30 am eating breakfast. I wasn't in a bid neighborhood and no sketchy characters in sight. I'm carrying my HK P2000 loaded with the legal maximum 10 rounds. I wasn't feeling any "color", not red, not orange, not purple. But if someone strode into the restaurant and started shooting I might well be wishing that I had an extra mag. I think I'm going to start carrying one.

Yes, I'm effective running my carry gun at speed, but if I'm close to the door and ducking for cover I might be using 3-4 of those precious few rounds to suppress the BG. It will never happen to me of course, but given I'm committed to carrying the darn thing every waking hour, why not carry the extra mag? It also occurred to me that sitting in a booth with the gun to the inside might not be the best from an SD standpoint; I'm going to rethink my seating philosophy.
    NO NO NO, the real question is, what did you have for breakfast?
    salagubang96 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I was carry 2 extra mags, either 13 or 16 rounders. Once getting shot at out in the country, and one extra mag, was not enough..... finding youself low on ammo, is a bad bad feeling. A small gun fight where the guy was never more then 15 ft or so away from 2 officers, and the two officers shot 68 rounds.... bad guy was only hit in the leg once. He surrendered because he ran out of ammo.

For all the situations that can occur, I am not going to have only 10 rds on me.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Thought it's good to have an extra magazine for several reasons, the two things you might want to rethink is eating at Denny's, and 'suppressive fire'.

I get the feeling that some think it's OK to throw down a 'hail 'o bullets' as they make a get-away going to their car. This seems like a bad idea.
    That is My Tactical Girl Friend!

VIP Member
    I was sitting in Denny's at 5:30 am eating breakfast. I wasn't in a bid neighborhood and no sketchy characters in sight. I'm carrying my HK P2000 loaded with the legal maximum 10 rounds. I wasn't feeling any "color", not red, not orange, not purple. But if someone strode into the restaurant and started shooting I might well be wishing that I had an extra mag. I think I'm going to start carrying one.

Yes, I'm effective running my carry gun at speed, but if I'm close to the door and ducking for cover I might be using 3-4 of those precious few rounds to suppress the BG. It will never happen to me of course, but given I'm committed to carrying the darn thing every waking hour, why not carry the extra mag? It also occurred to me that sitting in a booth with the gun to the inside might not be the best from an SD standpoint; I'm going to rethink my seating philosophy.
    To have and not need is much better to need and not have.

One's options while seated in a booth are generally more limited than when sitting on a chair.
    "I'm set up to play a game right now. However, I doubt most people would want to get into a gun fight with me."

Rob Leatham

Two guns. Two reloads. Every day. All day.
    Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

I've occasionally seen people say that based on statistics, etc. you should never need more than what's in your gun and if you do, you shouldn't have been there, that sort of thing. I've always looked at it as carrying the firearm itself is an emergency backup plan; a tool for dealing with the unexpected and thankfully unlikely circumstance that could befall you and have you fighting for your life. Given the chances of needing to shoot the gun in the first place, it makes a whole lot of sense to me that you're also prepared for the equally unlikely circumstance of having to shoot it a whole bunch of times.

One thing that's stuck with me, and WOW this was 20 years ago, but there was an off-duty Barstow police officer who strolled into a McDonald's somewhere in San Bernardino County back in 97 to find the place being robbed. He provided an after-action type report that was published publicly. The suspect was in the back of the store and he tried to get people to evacuate the front, mostly unsuccessfully. The suspect returned to the front, there was a gunfight and the officer recounted how quickly he seemed to burn through the 10 or 11 rounds he had in his Glock 26 and how grateful he was to have the full-size mag he used to reload. As it turned out he had hit the suspect with all or nearly all of the rounds in that first mag and the suspect had shuffled off some place to die but he didn't know that at the time.

I know most of us, who aren't carrying a badge, aren't going to try apprehending a robber in a busy McDonalds (based on the outcome; a 9 year old girl was killed by a round fired by the robber in the gunfight, I'm sure many people questioned the officer's decision to do so in this case) but we can still think of many different scenarios where based on the bad guy's actions we may find ourselves in a gunfight.

If I carry a semiauto pistol, I carry a spare mag and I carry it where it's just as accessible and quickly drawn as the handgun is--not floating loose in a pocket. If I need it, I'm gonna need it fast and I'm gonna need it in order to survive. Seems pretty simple. I mean, I carry a battery charger in my brand new truck just to make sure I don't have to sit on the side of the road waiting for a jump!

VIP Member
    I just ordered a Ankle mag holder. Since I pocket carry during the week, I have little room in my pockets. This will hold two 10 round mags for my Sig 238. When I carry the 1911s or 9c I also try to carry one to two mags.
    Haywood likes this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

To add one more thought to this conversation, I did read this somewhere and did not come up with it on my own. Don't know who said it, but they said they had talked to lots of people that were gunfight survivors and not one of them said they wished at the time it was over, that they had brought a smaller gun with less ammo with them that day.

Sponsor

When I do Denny's late night/early am breakfast [ rarely lately ], the place is usually nearly so or empty. I take a back booth, facing the entrance and as far away as I can be from the register up front. Last thing I'm doing is sitting at a stool at the counter near the register and front door.

Not that concerned with getting out of the place, as I am concerned I make potential problems easy to spot when they enter. If there's gun play for the register money [ produced to intimidate ], I've got some distance and objects blocking my drawing my gun in the event they think they'll come down back and hit me up for some money as well.

If they just take the register money and leave, I'll be a good witness. If they decide to try to threaten me with deadly force, well, I've had time to put the gun in hand under the table where it's concealed from their view, and they are in jeopardy of becoming cold forever.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member
    I EDC a 5 shot revolver.

I always throw a speed strip in my pocket.

I figure - just like the gun itself - its better to have one and never need it than to need it and not have it.
    Haywood likes this.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    When I do Denny's late night/early am breakfast [ rarely lately ], the place is usually nearly so or empty. I take a back booth, facing the entrance and as far away as I can be from the register up front. Last thing I'm doing is sitting at a stool at the counter near the register and front door.

Not that concerned with getting out of the place, as I am concerned I make potential problems easy to spot when they enter. If there's gun play for the register money [ produced to intimidate ], I've got some distance and objects blocking my drawing my gun in the event they think they'll come down back and hit me up for some money as well.

If they just take the register money and leave, I'll be a good witness. If they decide to try to threaten me with deadly force, well, I've had time to put the gun in hand under the table where it's concealed from their view, and they are in jeopardy of becoming cold forever.
    It took quite a few F-on-F scenarios to drive that point home to me. Eventually, tho, it was driven home.
    AzQkr and Old Man like this.
    "I'm set up to play a game right now. However, I doubt most people would want to get into a gun fight with me."

Rob Leatham

I have the wife trained (although I hate that nomenclature) that when ever we dine in a restaurant that she should always let me pick where I sit before I seat her. (the Gentleman's Way!) Just yesterday I caught her scanning the Restaurant we had just entered. She was looking for the exits and cashiers desk. Then she pointed to chair closest to the wall with no windows behind it and a good vantage point of the exits, entrances and cashier.
    Then said I'll sit over here next to you. And moved to be seated next to the prime defensive position. She does have her CHL but seldom carries when she's with me. (I wish she would carry so at least I know I have a back up.

She was wanting to let me know that our safety is now part of her thought process. Call it paranoia or proper preparation for the worst case scenario.

As for me, If I'm wearing my usual Tru Spec Cargo Pants I have a handgun in the right thigh pocket, with 17 rounds, and two 16 round mags in the left thigh pocket. These pants have holster pockets inside the thigh pockets and the flaps are Velcro closed. I can draw seated or standing. And it is my habit to place my Smart Phone in my left thigh pocket so people are accustomed to seeing me reaching into my thigh pocket. So no one is alarmed that there are slight bulges in my thigh pockets.

About as concealed as I can get and still reach while seated in a booth or car seat. When I can, I will sit where my weak side is facing the cashiers desk.
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post
    I always carry extra ammo no matter what gun I am carrying. I usually also carry a second gun that also has a reload.

That said, I live and work in a city with some pretty serious crime, and I'm often wearing a uniform that makes me a bit of a target.
    People really like Miami because of the warm sunny climate and it's located so close to the United States.
    maxwell97, Gabill and drmordo like this.
    Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids! C. Eastwood

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links