Maybe I should carry a second mag - Page 3

Maybe I should carry a second mag

This is a discussion on Maybe I should carry a second mag within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I regularly carry a total of 37 rounds of 45ACP and 16 rounds of 380 (backup). As it was said of a departed acquaintance of ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree169Likes

Thread: Maybe I should carry a second mag

I regularly carry a total of 37 rounds of 45ACP and 16 rounds of 380 (backup).

As it was said of a departed acquaintance of mine, Texas Ranger Joaquin Jackson, by a bad guy who survived a gunfight with the old Ranger: "I was absolutely determined to never let that Ranger fight his way over to the trunk of his car."

My trunk (actually pickup lockbox) is sometimes just full of surprises - if push really comes to shove.
    AzQkr and Chaplain Scott like this.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    A second mag is just added insurance since the vast majority of failures are due to defective mags.
    This.

Extra ammo is great, though statistically unlikely. However, if your gun pukes there are higher odds that it's magazine related. Having a spare to work that problem is a great idea, along with having extra ammo if you need it. Win/win.
    Okeechobee, AzQkr and OldChap like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Okeechobee View Post
    To add one more thought to this conversation, I did read this somewhere and did not come up with it on my own. Don't know who said it, but they said they had talked to lots of people that were gunfight survivors and not one of them said they wished at the time it was over, that they had brought a smaller gun with less ammo with them that day.
    Yeah, I was trying to remember all those in gun fights who complained of having too many bullets. Danged if I can't remember them now either. I'm sure it was a huge number.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Then there is the semi double stack like the S&W 9mm Shield (8) round magazine The top (2) rounds are in single stack but the other (6) rounds are offset semi-double stack. Single stack or double I carry an extra magazine. The S&W 9mm Shield magazine and the S&W MP9c are less than a quarter inch difference in width and the Shield magazine is longer in length than the MP9c magazine. I don't disagree with two additional single stack magazines as in 1911 but I'll allow I only carry one extra.

Tom Givens in his book Fighting Smarter A practical Guide For Surviving Violent Confrontations as made observations concerning capacity. His book is worth the read.
    OD* likes this.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis40x View Post
    Then there is the semi double stack like the S&W 9mm Shield (8) round magazine The top (2) rounds are in single stack but the other (6) rounds are offset semi-double stack. Single stack or double I carry an extra magazine. The S&W 9mm Shield magazine and the S&W MP9c are less than a quarter inch difference in width and the Shield magazine is longer in length than the MP9c magazine. I don't disagree with two additional single stack magazines as in 1911 but I'll allow I only carry one extra.

Tom Givens in his book Fighting Smarter A practical Guide For Surviving Violent Confrontations as made observations concerning capacity. His book is worth the read.
    http://rangemaster.com/wp-content/up...Newsletter.pdf

"Master level competitive shooters, real champions, need somewhere between 1 and 1.5 seconds to reload a semiautomatic pistol, using competition gear. A very skillful shooter working with concealment carry gear will need more like 2 to 2.5 seconds to complete a reload. Persons with less skill and practice will require even more time."

To give one an idea of how much time that is, this is 2.24 seconds. It's an eternity when taking incoming.

Okeechobee and BBMike like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Four extra 16 round mags, a j-frame in each pocket with two speed loads each and an Walther PPK 380 on each ankle. You know, just in case. And a phone book under my t-shirt. 😀
    BkCo1 likes this.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Distinguished Member Array paulinsf's Avatar
    I always carry a spare magazine, for all the reasons listed above. I would much rather have it and not need it, instead of the other way around.
    AzQkr, Bad Bob and OldChap like this.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Doogie View Post
    People really like Miami because of the warm sunny climate and it's located so close to the United States.
    That actually made me laugh out loud.

It also exactly right. It's hard to understand how foreign it is until you spend some time here.
    AzQkr and OldChap like this.

Distinguished Member Array 1911srule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    I might be using 3-4 of those precious few rounds to suppress the BG. It will never happen to me of course,
    Suppressive fire amongst other people in a restaurant...Really? Hey just leave it home. I'd hate to be eating out near you...
    Last edited by OD*; March 21st, 2017 at 10:22 AM.
    Bad Bob and bsms2 like this.
    NOT a Kool Aid drinker. Question everything...
    Political Correctness- the tool used to disarm common sense and destroy America.

but if I'm close to the door and ducking for cover I might be using 3-4 of those precious few rounds to suppress the BG.
    In a crowded venue you cannot use suppressive fire. You must make each shot count. If shooting "at" the BG and you hit 3 innocent people while "suppressing" the bad guy, guess who is going to jail. I carry plenty of ammo because you don't know when the fight will be over.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
    Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
    Amen

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    In a crowded venue you cannot use suppressive fire. You must make each shot count. If shooting "at" the BG and you hit 3 innocent people while "suppressing" the bad guy, guess who is going to jail. I carry plenty of ammo because you don't know when the fight will be over.
    Depends on how accurate you are with suppressive fire. Here's 17 rds placed on one BG at something like 7 rds a second. Suppressive fire can be accurately delivered on threat, but I have my doubts many have that ability, so you're suggestion to make each shot count should not go unnoticed by anyone. I made each round count in the below, IMO

sqlb3rn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Depends on how accurate you are with suppressive fire. Here's 17 rds placed on one BG at something like 7 rds a second. Suppressive fire can be accurately delivered on threat, but I have my doubts many have that ability, so you're suggestion to make each shot count should not go unnoticed by anyone. I made each round count in the below, IMO
    ]
    That is not suppressive fire. You are not diving for cover, you are standing there like you have roots firing for effect.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
    Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
    Amen

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    That is not suppressive fire. You are not diving for cover, you are standing there like you have roots firing for effect.
    Machine gun nests set up for suppressive fire are usually stationary, no?
    Doogie, OD* and sqlb3rn like this.

[QUOTE=1911srule;5569626]
    I might be using 3-4 of those precious few rounds to suppress the BG. It will never happen to me of course,

Suppressive fire amongst other people in a restaurant...Really? Hey just leave it home. I'd hate to be eating out near you...
    Just get the omlet with swiss cheese.....or maybe the customer next to you becomes swiss cheese.....
    Phaedrus likes this.
    Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids! C. Eastwood

I was sitting in Denny's at 5:30 am eating breakfast...

...if I'm close to the door and ducking for cover I might be using 3-4 of those precious few rounds to suppress the BG...
    You plan on running and using suppressing fire in a restaurant?

Don't care if you carry extra magazines. I've carried a BU gun sometimes because a mousegun is like a quick reload for a J-frame. But suppressing fire while moving to take cover, in a restaurant? Firing 3-4 rounds in the general direction of the BG? Might want to rethink more than just where you sit or how many rounds you carry.
    glockman10mm likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links