Maybe I should carry a second mag

This is a discussion on Maybe I should carry a second mag within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was sitting in Denny's at 5:30 am eating breakfast. I wasn't in a bid neighborhood and no sketchy characters in sight. I'm carrying my ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree169Likes

Thread: Maybe I should carry a second mag

I was sitting in Denny's at 5:30 am eating breakfast. I wasn't in a bid neighborhood and no sketchy characters in sight. I'm carrying my HK P2000 loaded with the legal maximum 10 rounds. I wasn't feeling any "color", not red, not orange, not purple. But if someone strode into the restaurant and started shooting I might well be wishing that I had an extra mag. I think I'm going to start carrying one.

Yes, I'm effective running my carry gun at speed, but if I'm close to the door and ducking for cover I might be using 3-4 of those precious few rounds to suppress the BG. It will never happen to me of course, but given I'm committed to carrying the darn thing every waking hour, why not carry the extra mag? It also occurred to me that sitting in a booth with the gun to the inside might not be the best from an SD standpoint; I'm going to rethink my seating philosophy.
    Phaedrus, maxwell97 and Militant like this.

Senior Member Array 2ndunamended's Avatar
    Always a good idea to carry an extra mag. You'll never regret it.
    If you're offended by anything I say, I'm offended that you are such a sissy.

NRA Life Member
    Gun Owners of America Member
    NRA certified Range Safety Officer

Call me paranoid (I don't mind) but I carry two extra mags for my M&P 9C for a total of 37 rounds

And I carry a Kel Tec .380 in my pocket.... with an extra mag.
    drmordo, OldChap, Bad Bob and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Dave909's Avatar
    Never say never, because that's usually when Mr. Murphy decides he missed you and comes for an unannounced visit. If you're going to carry any gun, it's wise to carry along extra. You may not need more rounds, but the mag might decide now is the time to screw up and with a revolver an extra 5 or 6 rounds just makes sense to me. As for how you sit in a booth, I like having my gun facing inward. It's just less chance of the BG immediately seeing your gun and singling you out if he/she decides to go through with it. Of course this only matters if you're in a closed end booth or next to a wall.

A second mag is just added insurance since the vast majority of failures are due to defective mags.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    Hóka-héy! Crazy Horse

I always carry extra ammo no matter what gun I am carrying. I usually also carry a second gun that also has a reload.

That said, I live and work in a city with some pretty serious crime, and I'm often wearing a uniform that makes me a bit of a target.

It's so simple and easy to carry another mag I don't see a reason for not carrying one.
    A fanatic is one who won't change his mind and won't change the subject - WSC

NRA Life Member

Some may laugh or smerk about carrying a reload----NOT me !!! it's a must have for pistol carry for me--takes no effort really.
    Glock 19
    Glock 26
    M&P PC Shield

Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    I was sitting in Denny's at 5:30 am eating breakfast. I wasn't in a bid neighborhood and no sketchy characters in sight. I'm carrying loaded with the legal maximum 10 rounds. I wasn't feeling any "color", not red, not orange, not purple. But if someone strode into the restaurant and started shooting I might well be wishing that I had an extra mag. I think I'm going to start carrying one.

Yes, I'm effective running my carry gun at speed, but if I'm close to the door and ducking for cover I might be using 3-4 of those precious few rounds to suppress the BG. It will never happen to me of course, but given I'm committed to carrying the darn thing every waking hour, why not carry the extra mag? It also occurred to me that sitting in a booth with the gun to the inside might not be the best from an SD standpoint; I'm going to rethink my seating philosophy.

You won't get any argument out of me. I carry at least one extra mag at all times, however more often than not I carry two. The problem with suppressive fire in an area as you have described is that it is more likely to draw fire as well as strike innocents. I learned situational awareness using the white, yellow and red categories. When carrying I always prefer to stay in the yellow zone of awareness and play the "what if" game. In this day and age it's also a good idea to expect a second BG particularly if it is a takeover robbery. Just my thoughts, for what it is worth.
    mrtimm likes this.
    “I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted, and I won’t be laid a hand on. I don’t do these things to other people and I require the same from them.” John Wayne - The Shootist

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    A second mag is just added insurance since the vast majority of failures are due to defective mags.
    Quoted for the truth.
    I always carry at least 1 extra mag no mater which pistol I carry or how I'm dressed.
    Only a warrior chooses pacifism; all others are condemned to it.

Pax Armis Acquiritur

G-43
    G-19 gen 4

Yes I've always carried reload (s) from day one, especially with the J frame. Now that I'm carrying a compact 9mm more often, I have a nice little matching leather (double stack) mag pouch attached to my belt, primarily in case of malfunction, but you never can tell. As far as the dining booth, I've always sat with the gun to the inside for additional concealment.

Since you're stuck in a state with mag capacity limits, a second mag sounds like a good idea. I carry two spares and think that it's just as easy to conceal two as one.
    sqlb3rn likes this.
    When seconds count, help is minutes away!

Unless it's life or death related, it's all B.S.!

When i got my shoulder rig there were two magazine pouches so i filled them up, i think it has something to do with the correct balance?
    Goldy49 and sqlb3rn like this.
    “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.”

― Jim Elliot

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    And no one needs give another reason after the above has been stated, it's reason enough. Erring on the side of caution is just plain smart.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Sponsor
    When carrying single stacks, two extra mags. When carrying double stacks, one extra mag. Either usually is supplemented with a j frame BUG in the back pocket.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links