Women Walks into Logan Airport with Fake Bomb, What would you do??

This is a discussion on Women Walks into Logan Airport with Fake Bomb, What would you do?? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From the news : http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,297593,00.html BOSTON An MIT student wearing what turned out to be a fake bomb was arrested at gunpoint Friday at ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Women Walks into Logan Airport with Fake Bomb, What would you do??

Women Walks into Logan Airport with Fake Bomb, What would you do??

From the news : http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,297593,00.html

BOSTON An MIT student wearing what turned out to be a fake bomb was arrested at gunpoint Friday at Logan International Airport and later claimed it was artwork, officials said.

Star Simpson, 19, had a computer circuit board and wiring in plain view over a black hooded sweatshirt she was wearing, said State Police Maj. Scott Pare, the commanding officer at the airport.

"She said that it was a piece of art and she wanted to stand out on career day," Pare said at a news conference. "She claims that it was just art, and that she was proud of the art and she wanted to display it."

Click here for photos.

Simpson was charged with disturbing the peace and possessing a hoax device. A not guilty plea was entered for her and she was released on $750 bail.

During the hearing, Simpson smiled as she entered wearing a T-shirt and sandals. After she posted bail, she left in a taxi with a man who identified himself as her boyfriend, but neither would answer more questions from reporters.

Prosecutor Wayne Margolis had requested $5,000 bail, saying Simpson showed a total disregard for the situation she was in an airport after the 2001 terrorist attacks.
    Related

Photo Essays
    o Woman Wears Fake Bomb to Airport

Ross Schreiber, who was appointed to represent Simpson, said she was not a risk to flee, was a good student with no prior convictions and she cooperated with authorities.

He said she had gone to the airport to meet her boyfriend. "She was there for legitimate purposes," Schreiber said.

Simpson was "extremely lucky she followed the instructions or deadly force would have been used," Pare said. "She's lucky to be in a cell as opposed to the morgue."

Simpson is a Massachusetts Institute of Technology sophomore from Hawaii, officials said.

The battery-powered rectangular device had nine flashing lights, and Simpson had Play-Doh in her hands, Pare said.

The phrases "Socket to me" and "Course VI" were written on the back of her sweatshirt, which authorities displayed to the media. Course VI appears to refer to MIT's major of electrical engineering and computer science.

Simpson was a member of MIT's swimming and diving team in 2006, according to the team's Web site, which lists her hometown as Kihei, Hawaii. MIT spokeswoman Patti Richards said aside from confirming she was a student, the school did not have any comment.

She was arrested about 8 a.m. outside Terminal C, home to United Airlines, Jet Blue and other carriers.

A Massachusetts Port Authority staffer manning an information booth in the terminal became suspicious when Simpson wearing the device approached to ask about an incoming flight, Pare said. Simpson then walked outside, and the staffer notified a nearby trooper.

The trooper, joined by others with submachine guns, confronted her at a traffic island in front of the terminal.

"She was immediately told to stop, to raise her hands and not to make any movement, so we could observe all her movements to see if she was trying to trip any type of device," Pare said. "Had she not followed the protocol, we might have used deadly force."

Pare said Simpson took a subway to the airport, but he was not sure if she had the device on at that time.

The major praised the booth attendant, but said the incident is a reminder of the terrorism threat confronting the civil aviation system. Two of the four passenger jets hijacked on Sept. 11, 2001, took off from Logan.

The city was the focus of a major security scare Jan. 31 when dozens of battery-powered devices were discovered in various locations. Bomb squads were deployed and some transportation links were closed temporarily. They turned out to be a promotion for the Cartoon Network.
    __________________________________________________ ________

So you are at the airport, standing in that notorious line for check-in with your significant other . . . when all of a sudden you turn and you see the person listed above walking toward you.

What now? You of course have your trusty firearm, you won't be walking your SO through security, so there was no need to disarm in the car.

Myself, I don't think I would draw or be thinking about taking a shot (yes, my background and bystanders would be kept in mind) unless the person was making absolute verbal threats and it was clear cut that what they had strapped to their chest was a bomb. After looking at the photos, I would be suspicious of what was attached to her shirt, but in no way would I immediately be clearing leather thinking that I had to drop some suicide bomber.

I would be on the phone or contacting airport security ASAP and getting me and mine to as safe a distance as possible.
    Glock 26 w/ CTAC IWB

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far" - Theodore Roosevelt

2. Remove Ads

The S.A.T. doesn't have a "common sense" section. If it did, she wouldn't have been attending MIT. She obviously isn't an art major (unless she's failing).

You may not be able to "fix stupid", but some time in jail and a stiff fine might help a little.

What would I do? In this case, point and laugh. A breadboard and a battery just aren't that threatening, even with silly putty attached.

VIP Member
    I think she actually did nothing at all wrong.

There is a fair chance that this young lady genuinely considered what she wore to be a piece of art, and that she had no intention of causing anyone any alarm. She was not attempting to take a device past security nor was she attempting to take a fake bomb past security, nor did she issue threats while pointing to a fake bomb to enforce threats.

The characterization of the item as a fake bomb is very disturbing. It is jumping to a possibly unjustifiable conclusion. It is the police's characterization, and perhaps they had a fertile imagination. Too edgy.

It might have been a transistor radio sans case that got better reception without the case; happens. But her claim that it was art isn't to be casually dismissed.

The officers who have spoken on TV and stated that she is lucky they didn't shoot her need to relearn something about justification for the use of deadly force. The didn't have a reasonable fear to justify shooting or threatening to shoot anyone. What they had was "raw fear." Emotions. Using deadly force because of raw fear isn't legal.

All of that said, you gotta wonder about her.

Lead Moderator
    Sounds like another idiot looking to stir trouble. common sense says don't wear something that appears (atleast in movies ) to be a bomb. I believe she was looking to stir up trouble by wearing this type of "art". About a smart a carrying a airsoft pistol in plain view into an airport , close to yelling "bomb" or "fire".
    She could very well have gotten shot for such a foolhardy move. Terror threats are very real in this day and age. Too bad common sense cannot be taught.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by nova83tx View Post
    Perhaps that wasn't the full extent of the device, but that sure doesn't say 'bomb' to me.

-john

VIP Member

Not illegal

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Sounds like another idiot looking to stir trouble. common sense says don't wear something that appears (atleast in movies ) to be a bomb. I believe she was looking to stir up trouble by wearing this type of "art". About a smart a carrying a airsoft pistol in plain view into an airport , close to yelling "bomb" or "fire".
    She could very well have gotten shot for such a foolhardy move. Terror threats are very real in this day and age. Too bad common sense cannot be taught.
    It looked like a circuit board to me. That doesn't a bomb make. And the police' story changed. At first the news claimed there was silly putty attached to the device to make it look like a bomb. Later news stated she had silly putty in her hand--and my gosh, an officer stated on TV that she didn't have an explanation for why she had silly putty when she was questioned. Duh, because she was doing art. It is sort of obvious. Or maybe she just likes to play with the stuff. Do we need explanations for holding silly putty in our hands? How about a parent with kid in tow and the kid playing with modeling clay? Will security freak at that?

Now a little common sense would indicate that someone intent on doing harm would not be wearing the dang thing openly, attached to their shirt.

She wasn't past security; she wasn't trying to get past security. She made no threatening gestures or statements. She was at a point in the airport where in some states (I think) open carry would be O.K. Yeah this was Logan. Would open carry you get taken out with machine guns in Phoenix before security? (I don't know if open carry is allowed in the airport as it is elsewhere in AZ and New Mexico.)

At least no one was killed, but common sense didn't prevail on either side. It wasn't shown by the young lady, and it does not appear to have been shown by airport security or the folks representing them on T.V. A good case can be made that she was the victim of an unprovoked armed assault and false arrest.

Yeah...I wouldn't be worried about it. It just looks like a breadboard with a few green LED's. The writing on the shirt kinda helps too. Some folks are genius, but just have no common sense. I really don't think she intended any harm with it.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

"Art is anything you can get away with!"

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    It looked like a circuit board to me. That doesn't a bomb make. And the police' story changed. At first the news claimed there was silly putty attached to the device to make it look like a bomb. Later news stated she had silly putty in her hand--and my gosh, an officer stated on TV that she didn't have an explanation for why she had silly putty when she was questioned.
    It is good to know that it is simple to identify what is a bomb and what is not. It didn't look like a TV bomb so it must be art. Did the police story change or was it the news stories reported differently as the situation played out?

The fact is that she should be severely prosecuted for her stunt. Simply making a joke about a bomb will cause you to be detained and arrested.

Duh, because she was doing art. It is sort of obvious. Or maybe she just likes to play with the stuff. Do we need explanations for holding silly putty in our hands? How about a parent with kid in tow and the kid playing with modeling clay? Will security freak at that?
    Doing art? That is ridiculous. Art is a painting, a sculpture, a photograph, music. Parading around with a hoax bomb is not art. She was trying to make a scene. She disrupted and potentially endangered the public and she did it intentionally.

She wasn't past security; she wasn't trying to get past security. She made no threatening gestures or statements. She was at a point in the airport where in some states (I think) open carry would be O.K. Yeah this was Logan. Would open carry you get taken out with machine guns in Phoenix before security? (I don't know if open carry is allowed in the airport as it is elsewhere in AZ and New Mexico.)
    Try open carrying a bomb at an airport. In Tel Aviv, she might have been rightly shot dead. In this post 9/11 world there is no place for this irresponsible behavior. And yes, there is a law against it.

A good case can be made that she was the victim of an unprovoked armed assault and false arrest.
    Hardly.

The battery was the ticker.

If there had been no visible power cell then she'd have had no problems and would have appeared to be just a weirdo with bad hair.
    To be an MIT student I'd have expected use of a solar cell and a pair of capacitors.

Anyway to answer the question if I;d have seen her in the airport dressed as she was I would have likely given her a long inspection from a far and possibly contacted an airport security to check her deal. In the mean time I'd put distance between me and her forthwith. She can go to a questioning room and me, I'm going home.

- Janq
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; September 22nd, 2007 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Edit Language
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I think she used poor judgement...but we know poor judgement is not a crime. I also think if you had drawn...you would of been in bad doodoo. A CCW license is not a license to protect the world. I would of protected my SO by seeking some shelter if I really perceived a threat.

Rick

Distinguished Member
    IF that is art, well I can see that at my age I can have a career change and do quite well because I could make crap like that on my worst day.

If she had pulled this stunt in a London Subway she might have been shot in the head. It was a stupid stunt and the fact that her "art" was so poor may have saved her from getting hurt. If she was a better "artist" and actually made a device that really looked like a bomb she could well have been shot.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

The fact that most of us would not be able to CCW in that state makes this decision an easy one, "walk away as fast as possible and call LE".
    "Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced."

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Do we need explanations for holding silly putty in our hands?
    "You don't need to kill deer with silly putty! Couldn't you just use plain old clay instead of that semi-automatic silly putty that has no metal parts and can pass undetected through metal detectors?!"

Will security freak at that?
    Intelligent people realize that we are living in a new era in terms of airport security, and a little common sense goes a long way. You just don't go wearing stuff that will arouse suspicion or fear, even though you're "proud" of your *ahem* "artwork."

Now a little common sense would indicate that someone intent on doing harm would not be wearing the dang thing openly, attached to their shirt.
    That same common sense could tell you that maybe if she was part of a terror cell, she might have been a DECOY sent to distract the bulk of the security/police forces at the airport while someone else with a real bomb detonated it in the crowd that gets forced to evacuate the building!

She wasn't past security; she wasn't trying to get past security. She made no threatening gestures or statements.
    So what? Who says that a person who is strapped with a bomb has to be intent on getting it aboard a plane before she blows it up? There are dozens, maybe hundreds of people in some parts of an airport. What if she was simply standing near a baggage carousel with 160 people who just got off a flight? Just because they're not ON an airplane, or PAST security, is it OK if they get blown up?

Just how many suicide bombers make "threatening gestures or statements" before they blow up themselves and however many dozens or hundreds of people are near them? You state these things as though they are some sort of proof that she couldn't possibly have been a danger; they are NOT.

A good case can be made that she was the victim of an unprovoked armed assault and false arrest.
    You'd have an easier time making a case that she is smart enough to be going to MIT. I think this girl is a moron (and a freakish-lookin' one, at that).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links