Beach couple attacked in home invasion.

This is a discussion on Beach couple attacked in home invasion. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.wvec.com/news/topstories/...10b2ebc60.html Beach couple attacked in home invasion Tuesday, September 25, 2007 An elderly couple was beaten during a home invasion Tuesday, Virginia Beach Police said. ...

http://www.wvec.com/news/topstories/...10b2ebc60.html

Beach couple attacked in home invasion
    Tuesday, September 25, 2007

An elderly couple was beaten during a home invasion Tuesday, Virginia Beach Police said.

It happened around 7:30 a.m. in the 500 block of Lola Circle in the Brigadoon neighborhood.

Police say the suspect knocked on the door and when the couple answered, he got in and began yelling for money.

The family showed 13News the broken glass all over their kitchen where they tried to fight their attacker off.

"The victims kept a distance from each other,” said Virginia Beach Police spokeswoman Rene Ball. “He couldn't control them at the same time, which was smart thinking, actually."

He left the home and drove off in a boxy, black older model sedan. He was playing loud music as he left the area.

According to police, the suspect entered the home through an unlocked garage door. Police aren't sure right now whether he actually took anything or got cash.

"I had a concealed weapons permit, but that's ok a shotgun doesn't require a permit and that works pretty good, believe me,” said neighbor John Graf. “I gotta it out the gun case when I heard this."

Graf has lived in the area since the 80's, and says crime in their neighborhood is not known to happen. He may not have the cuts and bruises, but feels the pain of his neighbors tonight.

"It's shocking it would happen,” said Graf. “Good neighbors like that would be put through this."

The suspect is a black man in his mid 20's. He is around 5'9" tall and weighs approximately 150 pounds. He was wearing a dark hooded jacket or sweatshift and long pants.

Police also say a black female was in the vehicle with the suspect at the time of his escape, but have no further details on her at this time.
    The elderly couple was reported to have suffered many cuts and bruises on this evening's news. This incident was preceded the day before by a set of "Knock and Punch" assaults. A man is reportedly ringing door bells and sucker punching the homeowner who answers the door.

Perhaps related, perhaps not...but illustrates the point even further:
    Everyone should be aware of their surroundings...even while at home. Do you pay attention to any stranger who is out on the street...or think nothing about them? Perhaps "smart thinking" would have been to keep a loaded gun readily available at all times?

Senior Moderator
    Keep your doors locked and be prepared for anything
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    "I had a concealed weapons permit, but that's ok a shotgun doesn't require a permit and that works pretty good, believe me,” said neighbor John Graf. “I gotta it out the gun case when I heard this."
    That about sums it up. Keep a gun of some variety readily accessible and loaded. Worst case, the BG probably won't get both of his victims before one gets to the gun.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

What comes to mind is never open your door to a stranger. The time has past that you can open your door to anyone, and think you are being a good neighbor. The couple did a good thing by staying apart. I hope now they will come up with more options for protection.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting..."have a gun""

Sucker puncher at my door=could be a dead sucker!OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I hope they will keep their doors locked and check before they open them next time, or take some other security measures to help themselves out.

Yea, sucker punch attempt would not result in a good response at this location.

This is what I don't understand.

He had a permit, does that mean he didn't renew it? If so, why bother to say you "had" one. So now after his elderly neighbors have been attacked he is going to keep his shotgun handy, well isn't that special. It will probably last a couple of weeks then it will be back to the same old thing.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Holy Smokes, that's close to home - literally! I lived about a block from there for 7 years while in the Navy!!!
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Why I own rottweilers. They will give me the much neeed time to get to my defense weapon

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Why I own rottweilers. They will give me the much neeed time to get to my defense weapon
    I agree, I would not want to knock and punch at a house w/a large dog!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Why would you opt not to go to the door with your defense weapon? Why create a scenario where you have to "get to" it at all??

Kind of related story from a few years ago:My Aunt and Uncle live in Fla 1/2 the year...they're in their late 70s.One day a couple of scumbags followed them home from shopping and rushed in the house when they opened the door to get in,attempting to rob them.My Uncle ,a WWII vet,picked up a wooden magazine rack and beat one of the guys with it,while my Aunt screamed and used her purse to beat the other guy....both intruders took off!Score one for the "refuse to be victims".
    Never give up.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Links