Tactical teaser. - Page 2

Tactical teaser.

This is a discussion on Tactical teaser. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Steve - I did mention - the clerk is a friend Chris you are correct, I missed it. Still I would prefer distance and being ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    sm
    Steve - I did mention - the clerk is a friend
    Chris you are correct, I missed it.

Still I would prefer distance and being mobile.

The less attention I attract to myself [ exiting my vehicle] the more flexible I am in observing, seeking cover, calling the Police [to see if the Police were called / report suspicious activity request officers respond...] the better I can do most anything.

I too have been on both sides of this "fence". I have called and had folks observe and call the police.

Example : I hate cats. If I told a customer I took my cat to the vet - red flag. If a customer suspected something and asked me "how is the new kitten?" - "Fine = eveything okay" , " Had to take to vet" = trouble/ seek help.

I am a bit cautious about 911 and prefer to NOT use 911. Somebody driving by once noticed a safe door being loaded onto a wrecker. We had the Police in plain clothes ( off duty) to assist us with gettng this safe door repaired and help me baby sit the store while the door was fixed.

Marked cars arrived, gun drawn on me and the officers ' Ya'll being robbed or what?"

County got the 911 call and responded. Sad part is the city and state LEO assisting had called 911 and informed them and the alarm company. 911 never even made a note of this.

Distance , mobile and call the LEO direct. I don't do 911.
    Use Enough Gun

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    To preface my statement here, I am not trying to say I am extraordinarily skilled or alert. I will say however due to some previous experiences I am a bit more anal retentive about a few things that could make a life or death difference in a case like this.

As I have said on more than one occasion, I drive cheap, large sturdy vehicles for a reason. Since the BG's are most likely not after my car, and are acting in a decidedly non LEO fashion I will have to assume I am in danger, whether I am the direct target or just an unwanted witness to what they are about to do makes no difference. Anyone who purposely cuts of my escape and has a gun is a BG until proven otherwise.

Now the anal retentive part.

Since I always lock my vehicles on exit my keys are in my hands when from unlocking it when I enter it. I developed the habit a long time ago of using the key to unlock the door, opening it, then locking it (one handed)with the key before pulling it out. (side note, this annoys the heck out of my wife. If I get out of the car you can bet it is locked, if I walk in the house for 3 seconds to grab something I forgot, the door is locked behind me both in and out. It has become completely unconscious. She can be 10ft behind me coming in the house, and find the door locked. LOL If you develop this habit I would recommend carrying an extra house and car key in your wallet, and keep the local florist on speed dial. LOL) I almost always secure any cargo bigger than a 1liter coke bottle in the rear floorboard or cargo area (had a bad experience with flying debris in a wreck one time) my hands are most likely free. This means that the door is locked before it is closed and the truck is running within seconds. So I either started it before the BG's arrived, or before they managed to reach the side windows. Ramming is an option. However depending on their vehicle this may or may not be a very good one. Old Suburban with 6ft start, VS Honda civic= favorable odds, Suburban with 6ft start VS front half of a 74 Coupe Deville = less than certain outcome Due to my choice of vehicles my turning radius is not very tight which is also a consideration. Ideally if you are going to ram something, try to hit it in the rear, as that is the usually the lightest part, and most easily shoved out of the way. If you can knock down or run over a BG in the process, so much the better. If all else fails, I might try reclining the seat all the way and try firing from behind the window tint.(hearing loss is better than death) It isn't much but you might get one of them by surprise. Unless they are specifically gunning for you, they probably won't expect you to be armed, secondly they most likely won't expect you to fire from low in the rear window. If you are very lucky, they could even end up shooting at each other through the truck in the confusion.

Needless to say this would be an even scarier scenario than what is usually posted on here.

Assistant Administrator
    Some good thoughts GS - I wonder - were you ever a jailer!? LOL.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    LOL, Nope!
    My wife read my post, and said that I understated how bad I really am. I am really not even conscious of it anymore until she tries to bring in a bag of groceries behind me and starts fussing because the door is locked. LOL

Given your restrictions:

And assume BG1 and BG2 are equally

1. Draw. Honk horn at same time if I can
    2. If they are still advancing, put rounds on BG1 (drver side) thru windshield
    This wil:
    a) hopefully make them seek cover or at the least mess up there OODA loop
    b) frost the glass of the windshield, making me harder to see
    c) if i'm lukcy stop BG1
    3. Exit driver side, keeping foot on door while I bail. Engage BG1 again if needed.
    4.Try to put engine block between me and BG2.
    5.Engage BG as needed.
    6. Comms drill
    /***********
    Phill
    ************/

"Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate"
    William of Ockham (ca. 1285-1349)

Assistant Administrator
    Not a bad plan TR, tho stage #2 is not one I'd relish - but then in extremis we do what has to be done. If survived then I guess tinnitus is gonna be least of our problems!
    Chris - P95

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    It's late evening - your wife asks you to drop down to the ''8 till late'' half a mile away, to pick up a jug of milk and a loaf of bread.
    Me: "No."

End of problem.

I don't mind sleeping on the couch. Really, I don't...

SSKC

SSKC - Good idea

Re: windshields, the instructor at the Advanced Defensive Pistol class this weekend mentioned that bullets are deflected less going from inside to outside thru the glass than from out to in. We also watched a video made the LA PD on various rounds from rifles and pistols going through everyday objects. The splatter of glass from a round going into the windshield was very nasty looking. Good idea to wear glasses all the time

I wonder if, once a round has gone in to out, if a round comes from out to in if the spalling would be reduced. (Hope that makes sense, its been a long day :1saufen: )
    /***********
    Phill
    ************/

Assistant Administrator
    bullets are deflected less going from inside to outside thru the glass than from out to in
    I guess that's a ''curvature thing'' - seems likely.

Spalling? Hmmm - I reckon spalling would be as bad on an out to in shot probably - tho much depends maybe on the type of lamination - and how well bonded the glass is to the polymer sandwich.

I'll take a rain check on the testing LOL!
    Chris - P95

Speaking of deflection, I really should experiment with the laser on my 1911 and see how much the windshield deflects it. I would think that if the BG suddenly got a red on his chest as he advanced toward the car he might back off or duck...

I'll take a rain check on the testing LOL!
    Oh, come on! Where's that old British spirit of daring-do... Hey do you remember Eddy the Eagle? :chairshot
    /***********
    Phill
    ************/

Assistant Administrator
    TR - I might also try with CT's thru windshield tho I daresay if approx normal to surface then refraction will be minor and so deflection minimal. The BG would see not so much a red dot on his chest but a sinister red glow - in my case just to right of bore axis!!!! Probably if dirt on windshield then a red dot may show there too.

As for ''Eddie the Eagle Edwards'' well - what can I say - there were some bred who just were not gonna make it big (other than ''celebrity'' status!!)
    Chris - P95

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links