Thought I'd have to draw tonight

This is a discussion on Thought I'd have to draw tonight within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in a low crime portion of south western Cincinnati, and I like living here. I was working on my speech for next weekend, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thought I'd have to draw tonight

Thought I'd have to draw tonight

I live in a low crime portion of south western Cincinnati, and I like living here.

I was working on my speech for next weekend, and decided to take a well deserved break and take a walk around the neighborhood. Yes, it was late at night, but I had done it many times before without thinking or conflict about it.

Tonight I was glad I was prepared. I was about 1/3 of the way though and got thirsty, and stopped in to SpeedWay to get a bottle of water. On the way out and about 1/2 a block away is a bus stop, and a guy sitting there waiting and on his phone.

This is unusual for 2 reasons: No bus goes on that route at night. He has 3 bags with him, and looks to be in his early 20's and out of school, and did NOT look like the kind pursuing a future outside of the streets.

Walking on the other side wasn't much of an option, I didn't see him until I was within 10' of him due to the landscaping in the grass where he was waiting. As soon as I passed, he asked to "holla at me quick". I don't know what that means, but I simply said "no sir." He stood up and started following me asking me what my problem was and if I was "goin to a patay o sumfin".

By this point I had been able to keep 15 feet easily from him, and he started to pick up the pace towards me after I had told him to back off and walk away multiple times. I don't remember exactly what he said, but he wasn't happy and started walking extremely fast and put his hand in his pocket.

This is the first time since carrying (or before, actually) that I've had anything like this happen. I put my hand on my grip and told him to walk away unless he wants to discover I don't play games. He turned and ran, way way past the bags where he was sitting before.

Thankfully I didn't have to shoot anybody, or even draw. But damn was I glad to have a gun on me tonight.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

2. Remove Ads

Good deal...who knows what that guy had planned. It's a gray area...but obviously you felt threatened and did what you feel you had to do.

You handled that perfectly in my book. Great job!

excellent work,,,glad every thing went ok ,,,

I think that is Ebonics for lets talk. I'll bet he planned on more than shootin the breeze.
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

You felt threatened. He ignored requests to leave you alone, persisting to accost you. He followed quickly and was not keeping his hands where you could see them. Either you were being herded to the waiting hordes, or he was planning to do something himself, or it was benign. At minimum, your "radar" was being distracted for his own purposes, and that very likely would not have been in your best interests. Best to do exactly what you did, IMO. Kudos!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    I'm not sure exactly what part of town you are in, but the crime seems to be spreading rapidly into the once nice neighborhoods of the west side. Price Hill and NCH or good examples.
    Its a shame really. Anyway, sounds like you did well and stood your ground.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member
    Funy thing, it does not matter if the BG speaks in Ebonics, Spanish, English, or some other language, the CCW gun seems to be the MOST effective "translator" out there!!!!

I am glad all turned out fine for you. I was taught in class, and have read on this form that most people believe you should not show or pull until you are ready to fire, but the more I think and read, I believe quite often the situation does indeed get de-escalated by just letting BG see what will be coming if things don't change in VERY short order.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Good job. Did you make a report (just to prevent him flagging down a passing LEO about "some guy trying to shoot me")?

You kept your radar up and let him know you weren't going to be an easy target. Sounds like a win to me.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

SixTwo: Delhi, crime's still relatively low, but the heroin from Price Hill is changing that.

Bob: No, I didn't but I should have. I was shaking too much from the adrenaline afterwards to think clearly and just wanted to get home.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Bob: No, I didn't but I should have. I was shaking too much from the adrenaline afterwards to think clearly and just wanted to get home.
    I'm sure you were, after that, and rightly so. Your first priority was to get your butt out of the situation, and hanging around waiting for an officer to show up would not have accomplished that, especially after an adrenalin rush. I would still have recommended calling the non-emergency number when you got home, though.

But that's small potatoes next to getting home safe.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

All good

All looks good to me. Ignore dcommands to back off. You attempted to disengage. he approached fast. Hand went in to pocket.

You just matched the threat. No escalation there.

Congrats, you just became on the 2.5 million times a year when the mere presence of a gun stopped a crime in progress.

You are to be commended for being prepared Sir.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Ok, first you said that it's not uncommon to go for a late night walk and that you haven't thought twice about it!

Absolutely nothing wrong with that! This is the USA and people should feel free to move about how they see fit.

But, this just goes to show... These days, being armed is the smart thing to be!

Excellent Job! It just really doesn't matter what his intentions were... good, bad or otherwise. Bottom line is, You don't want to be caught unprepared!

Having the gun with you, kept things from going bad should the strangers intentions been anything other than innocent.

Job Well Done... Drive On!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Very Important Statement Here!

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post

This statement vividly illustrates the reason we do not want to make a lot of statements to police until you've spoken with your attorney and had a period of time to decompress and gain your composure!

Most police investigators worth their salt knows full well that your statements in the immediate aftermath of a shooting is NOT going to be an accurate reflection of what just happened. Time frames, distance, and any number of other facts are going to be distorted and inaccurate immediately following a deadly force encounter.

Still, they want to press you for answers and get you locked into a statement whether it is accurate or not.

Don't let them brow beat you into making statements without consulting with an attorney.

It's ok to point out potential witnesses, any evidence that may help your case before it disappears (any empty shell casings the wind may blow away causing it to be lost) and that you were "in fear of your life" or "he forced you to defend yourself"... but other than that, Shut Up!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links