Would you leave the scene?

This is a discussion on Would you leave the scene? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure if this has been posted before, but if you were in a situation where you had to use lethal force to defend yourself, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you leave the scene?

Would you leave the scene?

Not sure if this has been posted before, but if you were in a situation where you had to use lethal force to defend yourself, and still felt very threatened afterwards, would you leave the area and wait somewhere else for the police?

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    If there was residual threat then quite possibly move away from area but still - be in contact with LE post haste - and give description of events and their location - plus current location.

Could well be cases where hangin' around to wait for cops would be less than wise. I imagine something ''gang'' oriented, where other BG's could well be soon on the scene.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    If staying there was as dangerous as the immediate threat, I would leave in a heartbeat. It would seem like the smart thing to do.

I posted a thread awhile back about a friend of mine that did just that. He told the Prosecutor that the crowd of "hostiles" gathering made verbal threats after he shot someone. The Prosecutor apparently thought so too and it was ruled a justifiable shoot.

He only mistake was that he went home...and the police stopped him before he got there,pulling him out at gunpoint...so there is a right way and a wrong way to do it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    With no problem at all. I'm going to a place where I feel safe no matter how far it is so that I can call the LEO's without looking over my shoulder to do so.

If there was residual threat then quite possibly move away from area but still - be in contact with LE post haste - and give description of events and their location - plus current location.
    As my old DO used to say, "The first phone call wins."

I would leave the scene and immediately call the police to arrange a meeting place. If it was not too far I would even drive to their station. Kind of hard for an "anti" prosecutor to spin that.

First one to call 911 is the complaintant.....the last one to call is the suspect
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member
    Duty to retreat----So if I have to leave in-order to prevent another shooting---absolutely! Call to LEO while leaving, call to attorney after LEO call, watch to make sure you are not being followed. Sure hate to leave, don't know if any of the evidence gets tampered with then.

Z

Quote Originally Posted by fairway1 View Post
    .. if you were in a situation where you had to use lethal force to defend yourself, and still felt very threatened afterwards ...
    No laws are going to force me to endanger myself or my family, if I'm in a place where the threat is real and growing. Nor are they intended to do that, to flush us from behind cover and force us to stay at the exact scene come Hell or high water.

After I have gotten to a place of safety, then (and only then) will I have any thought or concern about calling in the cavalry. If that place of safety happens to be right there, given the location and/or presence of others who can assist, fine. But if I cannot ensure my continued safety until the cavalry arrive? I'm outta there. Every time.

Now, these statements about the "last" to call being the criminal ... Well, yes, some small and petty minds in law enforcement may certainly jump to that conclusion, since my not being at the scene will certainly suggest certain possibilities. I, too, would consider all options as possibilities. However, the facts remain: We were assaulted and in fear for our lives; it wasn't safe enough to stay right there at that moment; we called immediately, as soon as possible; we assisted in the clean-up to the degree we could; through our attorney, we were cooperative in all the appropriate ways. If able, I'll certainly call for the cavalry earlier rather than later, but never, EVER if that call itself is going to put me/mine in mortal danger of not making it through the situation, I don't care what it looks like.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

If there were still the potential of more bad guys trying to harm/kill me or my family then absolutely I would leave the area. I would also be on the cell with the cops as fast as possible, explaining the situation to them in the greatest of detail so that I do not become the actor in an armed assault call by the scum bags who forced me to shoot.

It is worth pointing out that whom ever calls the cops first is deemed to be the good guy in a lot of cases, at least until things get sorted out. And that can take a long time sometimes.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Common Sense...

Rule #1...move to safe area...
    Rule #1.1...call police ASAP...

OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

All good advice!

If in danger, move! Reload during any lull in hostilities and communicate as soon as possible.

If having to leave the scene to avoid continued threats, at least try not to go to another state or country! <--- Ok, that was a joke too! I'm on a roll tonight!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I too would leave if there was still the possibility of a threat. But, I would be concerned about possible friends of the bg tampering with or removing evidence. What if someone removes the bg's weapon?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fairway1 View Post
    I too would leave if there was still the possibility of a threat. But, I would be concerned about possible friends of the bg tampering with or removing evidence. What if someone removes the bg's weapon?

I was just thinking the same thing. I agree on quickly notifying the police about the incident/leaving the area due to it being unsafe. No doubt when the police arrive at this hostile are, there will be no knife or gun around whatsoever.

What do ya'll think? Leave the BG's weapon for it to disappear or given the chance take that evidence with you for safekeeping?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Assistant Administrator
    Leave the BG's weapon for it to disappear or given the chance take that evidence with you for safekeeping?
    That seems a ''catch 22'' - either lose the evidence or - tampering with evidence. Plus too - how would we prove ''the other gun'' was in fact someone else's??

Seems like a tricky dilemma.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links