Someone tried to break in last night...

This is a discussion on Someone tried to break in last night... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So my mother-in-law and mother are visiting me and my 2 month son for about a week. Last night around 12ish 1am my wife is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone tried to break in last night...

Someone tried to break in last night...

So my mother-in-law and mother are visiting me and my 2 month son for about a week. Last night around 12ish 1am my wife is in bed trying to get our son to sleep when she hears a loud crash against our house in the fenced in back yard. I had my Taurus 605 2in .357 on me as I usually do when I'm at home. I immediately grabed my XD45 out of the gun safe chambered a round handed it to my wife who was still in bed and dialing 911. As I was arming the Mrs. her mother walked into our bedroom and screamed because as she was walking in she could see someone looking in through the window outside. I got my mother into the bed room with them and secured the rest of the house staying in the hallway to make sure no one made an attempt to come that way while the mrs had the room covered.

Just as expected it took the cops 20 min to show up . Looking back on the incedent I'm wondering how I did, anybody care to comment?
    The whole time me and my wife who were armed had constant communication to avoid any ND's My wife called 911 soon as she realized everyone was inside the house and the noise wasn't one of us. Our backyard is empty so there was nothing to get knocked into the house. Also about an hour before this the mother in law heard gun shots in the neighborhood.

-Alex

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Way to go - secure everyone inside, get your gun and call the police. If he BG is still outside, let the police check it out - thats what they get paid for.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Glad you were prepared.

I see your carry gun is the XD. Do you leave the .357 home for her? Would she be willing to use it if you weren't home?

Not trying to be critical, but I would consider some type of window covering that wouldn't allow anyone to see inside. We have blinds on all the windows, and if we've done our job right and haven't gotten lazy, they are all closed at night.

I hope this reinforces to your entire family why you choose to protect yourself with a gun. Glad you are all safe.

I'd say you did a heck of a good job. Sounds like you had this planned out in your head and you followed your plan.

Good job.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member
    At first I was going to make a smart remark about why you did not give a gun to your mother-in-law, but decided that would be a bad thing.

As we are always reacting to situation, sounds like you had your bases covered for what was handed to you.

Did the police find anything or anyone?

Z

Today's peeping tom is tomorrow's rapist!

Hopefully get got a view of you arming yourself and fortifying your castle and wet himself. But I suspect as soon as he made the noise, he was long gone!

Excellent Job! No need to go outside to investigate things on your own except in extreme circumstances!

Guard against the urge to go outside! Bad things happen out there!

Sure, it would have been nice to have the cops show up in time to catch the guy, or even catch him yourself and hold him for police... But that is not your primary concern!

Your primary job is to secure the castle from intruders, protect the occupants and handle any breech that gets through!

Good Job! Handled nicely and smoothly!

Your momma is probably proud of "her boy" and you probably just went up a notch in your momma-in-law's eyes!

Maybe next time it'll be safe to give her a gun too and feel confident she won't shoot you in the back for ruining her daughters life. (just kidding on that... It's a Joke!)
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Glad you were prepared.

I see your carry gun is the XD. Do you leave the .357 home for her? Would she be willing to use it if you weren't home?

Not trying to be critical, but I would consider some type of window covering that wouldn't allow anyone to see inside. We have blinds on all the windows, and if we've done our job right and haven't gotten lazy, they are all closed at night.

I hope this reinforces to your entire family why you choose to protect yourself with a gun. Glad you are all safe.
    Actually I carry them 50/50, she is anti gun, even after the fact a gun saved our lives 2 months ago when I had a knife pulled on me in the wal mart parking lot while she was feeding our son...

We have blinds on all the windows, these just so happened to be halfway up at the time, doh!

She is still afraid of em, her mother to, but my mom has been pro gun for the longest. It just makes me mad that even after repeated incidents they still want to be sheep. I mad a point of saying that it took the cops 15min to show up, do you know what could of happened in 15min if someone wanted to come in the house and go wild?

-Alex

Quote Originally Posted by SevenSix9ine View Post
    Actually I carry them 50/50, she is anti gun, even after the fact a gun saved our lives 2 months ago when I had a knife pulled on me in the wal mart parking lot while she was feeding our son...

We have blinds on all the windows, these just so happened to be halfway up at the time, doh!

She is still afraid of em, her mother to, but my mom has been pro gun for the longest. It just makes me mad that even after repeated incidents they still want to be sheep. I mad a point of saying that it took the cops 15min to show up, do you know what could of happened in 15min if someone wanted to come in the house and go wild?

-Alex
    Well, at least she was willing to hold a gun when the time came. I doubt my wife would even do that. That's why I'm training my daughter to shoot. I plan to buy her a simple revolver that she would be willing to use... later I'll buy her an auto, or maybe give her my XD9. Then I can buy me another gun.

If you left your revolver home, would your wife be willing to get it out herself and use it?

I hope someday our wives will come around. Until that day, I hope we're around when bad things happen.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    You did exactly the right thing. Good job! Your wife and MIL will wake up one day, hopefully. Have you asked what either of them would have done if you hadn't been there?
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

VIP Member
    sounds to me like you did exactly as you should have
    and yes, its too bad the wife and m-i-l are anti; I would think after 2 incidents within 3 months that the wife's eyes would open
    20 min response time for a possible break-in with people at home.....wow

my wife and I have practiced what-if scenarios for this exact type of thing as everyone should do
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

The only thing I thought I'd mention is that you might consider killing the light or dropping the shade before displaying weapons. It is now possible that this guy knows that you have firearms in the house and where he might find them.

As Grady suggested, it would probably be good to have them closed at 1AM in the morning anyway.

Glad you are safe, but you might want to keep the radar on extra high for a while.

-john

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Great Job

I agree, the light source gave the BG valuable info..glad it worked out for you tho!! At least the COPS showed up tho..

15 minuetes and no police ????you did an excellent job,,

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    The only thing I thought I'd mention is that you might consider killing the light or dropping the shade before displaying weapons. It is now possible that this guy knows that you have firearms in the house and where he might find them.

As Grady suggested, it would probably be good to have them closed at 1AM in the morning anyway.

Glad you are safe, but you might want to keep the radar on extra high for a while.

-john
    I believe the bad guy knowing you have guns in the house is as much a deterrent you can have
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links