Who should I protect? - Page 5

Who should I protect?

This is a discussion on Who should I protect? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hmmmm, I have another question. Whats better 9mm or .45?...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Who should I protect?

Hmmmm, I have another question. Whats better 9mm or .45?

Quote Originally Posted by P991911 View Post

The 45 of course, as long as you are carrying a 1911, wearing your concealed carry badge, while open carrying in a post office with your trusty AK-47 (they are better than AR-15's) slung over your shoulder.

fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Quote Originally Posted by P991911 View Post

oh no.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    The 45 of course, as long as you are carrying a 1911, wearing your concealed carry badge, while open carrying in a post office with your trusty AK-47 (they are better than AR-15's) slung over your shoulder.

What if I want to carry a Thompson sub machine gun with a drum magazine. Would that be beter than the 1911 and a AK-47? I would only have to carry one type of ammo then. Of course the badge is a given, but I want a black shirt and hat that have the initials CCW or CHL on them in big white or yellow letters too.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    Janq: So if my house is on fire you won't bring your fire extinguisher over and help????
    Z,

I've been in this situation before, IRL.

No I would not go in to my neighbors home with hopes to fight a fire with my extinguisher. A fire extinguisher is like a seatbelt. It's design and intent is to increase your chances/odds toward escaping an incident (fire) as quickly as possible minimizing your momentary exposure to immediate skin melting danger. A residential sized extinguisher will last roughly 45 seconds on the outside 15 on the inside toward emitting fire suppression foam. Enough to buy you time toward escape.
    Me running into my neighbors home armed with an extinguisher would be foolish because his house was built the year after mine which was 150 yrs ago. His house like mine once ignited will go up like a match box. A fire extinguisher is of little real value except to make one feel like they might be doing something, aside from running head long and ignorant into their grave.
    I'd dial 911 and might maybe grab my fire blanket and if time allows run in Olympic quick with that over my head, back, and legs. It's large enough to fit two people. We have three placed in strategic areas around the house.

Guess I really don't like the house that much anyway.
    I like my life and my family likes their daddy being whole and in one piece and able to care for them, alot more than I or they like your house or that of my neighbor.
    I and we'd feel really awful for you and yours but I'm not Superman with a fireproof suit & skin. Putting my familys future on the line to save your house that is not going to happen. No house is worth my life or my familys future, not even for that matter my own which I do happen to like alot. This is one of the many reasons why retaining and keeping properly & optimally loaded casualty and fire insurance is a wise thing to do...before you actually need it.
    Also invest in an interior sprinkler system, and/or multiple fire extinguishers and fire blankets, as well as high quality linked smoke, fire, and CO detectors both hard wired with individual alkaline battery backups as I have done for me and mine. Along with that if you live in an old home as I do and everyone on my block does then it is also a wise thing to have your whole homes electrical system analyzed including the fuse box or in my case boxes (I have three across four floors). My electrician was here last week to review and discuss updates I have in play as per a room renovation I'm working on.
    I take home safety and fire very seriously, as I do my family, their welfare, and defense of them and my person on which they are wholly dependant.

Would you at least wake up my family so they can get out???
    Well that is the job of your smoke, fire, and CO detectors.
    As a responsible adult person never mind a man with a family it is your own job to save your own life by applying basic and easy preventive care.
    Don't smoke in bed or leave candles burning (no open flames are allowed in my house nor my neighbors either), check your detector batteries on a schedule every 6 mos. and replace them every 3 yrs. even if they otherwise work and are charged (recycle them to other non-essential devices), purchase quality fire extinguishers and mount/store them in highly visible and easy to get to areas of your home and make sure that all persons including visitors and your children know where they are in the event of an emergency, check the extinguishers annually on a schedule to be sure they are well charged and free of dust and other gunk.
    And most importantly develop a plan with your family and actually practice it in your home toward what to do when a fire occurs and cover _multiple_ methods of escape along with a central point of rendevous for everyone to do a head count. Our rendevous point is across the street standing in the middle of my neighbors yard. They the neighbors know this toward securing the children and my wife in the event I don't make it out. I don't want my wife going in after me and dying too leaving the kids homeless and parentless. I told my neighbor (male) that I want them to restrain my wife and not allow her to come in after me under no circumstances.
    Yes, I am completely dead serious about this. But if for some very odd reason my neighbors did not appear to wake up from their alarm system going off, which is centralized and computer driven, then yeah I'd go ring your door bell and yell from outside but I am not stepping foot into an obviously on fire house made of plaster and 1800s generation non fire treated kindling.

What are you going to do if the day come when you need CPR and the guy goes by you and says "He should have his own defibrillator" ain't gona loan him mine.
    Who privately owns a defibrillator?!?
    My neighbors don't.
    But to play along I keep myself in good physical condition. I exercise\ and don't eat crap food (never have cared for it and have always enjoyed exercise and salad), I drink red wine to reduce cholestorol and annually I have been going to see a doc to get a full spec. checkup including cholesterol counts for 113 yrs. now. I'm a big believer in preventative maintenance and the old saying by Louis Pasteur; "An ounce or prevention is worth a pound of cure".

When it comes to my side-arm, it's a play-it as needed, but if you need a hand and I'm there, it WILL be extended to ya. Just hope you know how to reach back.
    When it comes to me and my family me and my family are the primary focus of my concern. Rule #1.
    I'd love to help my neighbor and have, do, and will...but will do so _only_ if rule #1 is not broken and the risk toward breaking rule #1 is to a degree that I feel extremely confident toward success and not having to rely on my wife to tell my kids that daddy is sorry for not being able to be there, anymore.

I see sidearms and fire extinguishers as being no different than my seatbelts or a steak knife. A tool, an implement, a means to an end.
    They don't make me a cop, a fireman, a stuntman, a chef, nor Superman.
    I'm just a regular guy citizen that goes by the alias of 'Dad'.

- Janq

P.S. - I've thus far in life seen directly three apartment building fires two houses burn to the ground and one completely obliterated as result of a gas line leak, amongst my neighbors.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

So, we can agree this argument has gotten stupid, yes?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tardola View Post
    So, we can agree this argument has gotten stupid, yes?

I don't know about stupid, but there's atleast 3 language viloations, 3 or four totally asinine posts, a little mud slinging, and enough drift for me.

I think I'll just close it and spare the editing...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sponsored Links