Who should I protect?

Who should I protect?

This is a discussion on Who should I protect? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Our CCW instructor made a big deal about the way that undercover cops making arrests can look a LOT like bad guys. He stressed that ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who should I protect?

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

Who should I protect?

Our CCW instructor made a big deal about the way that undercover cops making arrests can look a LOT like bad guys. He stressed that we should save "...and protecting others" for our families only, because we might inadvertently pop a good guy. He also allowed that we might include well-known friends that would never be on the receiving end of a drug bust, but you get the idea.

On the other hand, I also hear echoes of "Who is my neighbor?"

And I also have dreams of saving the day. Sigh - one would think that at 51 I would have outgrown such fantasies.

Thoughts? I am quite interested in LEO opinions, especially, as most of what I know of police procedure is from Hollywierd.

Whoever you would be willing to lose your house for. Because that may happen if you ever pull the trigger. And thats if you are justified.

If not justified, then it's 'Whoever you are willing to go to jail for'

Taking life should be a LAST resort. It should be done only to defend the life of yourself or others you truly know to be in danger. An officer making an arrest should identify themselves and wear some sort of identifying clothing. This isn't always the case and even BG's sometimes pretend to be police officers.

Administrator
    I agree with your instructor. You are not carrying to be everyones guardian, you are carrying to be yours.

If a person interupted an arrest of my team, good chance is that they would get hurt. We dont have the time to sort out who is who when an arrest is happening, I see friendly and threat. An unknown face with a gun is a threat. That can make a bad day for the both of us.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Assistant Administrator
    This is a recurring subject for and within threads - and opinions vary quite a lot.

I have mentioned before tho that with all the variables that are likely to be present it is not easy to say you'll only be in the ''Only me'' camp or the ''I'll help anyone'' camp.

Circumstances alter events and should things go down to the wire then I can only personally judge by ''play it as you see it'' - and hope to get it right. No hard and fast set-in-concrete prior decision for me.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Personally I wouldn't get myself involved in something in a back ally that looks suspicious. I don't even get out of the car if there is a large gathering of shady looking characters, even when I'm armed. Iíll drive off or come back if I need to. I tend to avoid confrontations. But if I were driving down the street and I saw a purse snatcher rob a little old lady, I know this person is not a LEO, and chances are I would intervene.

your gun is for you and yours, le guns are for the rest.

As stated previously, I will protect myself, my family, my friends, and anyone else that I see that needs the protection.

Granted this depends on the situation, but I can't see turning my back or simply calling 911 and hoping that the person won't be dead when the LEO's get there. After all it has been stated many times on this site that the LEO's are not there to guarrantee our protection. I hope that if "me or mine" are in a situation needing assistance, someone like minded would step up to the plate. I can only offer the same thing that I would want for myself or my family.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I will protect myself and anyone who I think would be willing to feed me and change my Depends should I catch one rendering me incapacitated.

Leave the hero stuff to paid guardians.

Here's what I live by as far as "who" to protect...

If their living is more important to me than me going to jail for the rest of my life, I will use deadly force to protect their life if need be.

--

Obviously myself, I'd rather be in jail for the rest of my life than dead. Wives, husbands, parents, sisters, brothers...BEST friends, etc.

Keep your guns to yourself... If others needed a gun in a situation then they should have had one of their own. If you know nothing about a situation then you should not get involved unless you are a
    "paid guardian."

Sometimes, doing nothing would make it imposible to live with yourself.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I agree with your instructor. You are not carrying to be everyones guardian, you are carrying to be yours.

If a person interupted an arrest of my team, good chance is that they would get hurt. We dont have the time to sort out who is who when an arrest is happening, I see friendly and threat. An unknown face with a gun is a threat. That can make a bad day for the both of us.
    There you have it! NC instructors say the same as yours.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    But, but, but, what if I whip out my CCW badge?

"As stated previously, I will protect myself, my family, my friends, and anyone else that I see that needs the protection."

Bingo!!! +1

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links