Surefire to the rescue

Surefire to the rescue

This is a discussion on Surefire to the rescue within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last Friday night I was walking the few blocks from my apartment to where some buddies of mine live and were having a get together. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surefire to the rescue

Surefire to the rescue

Last Friday night I was walking the few blocks from my apartment to where some buddies of mine live and were having a get together. It had fallen dark when they called me up, so I was walking with my surefire in my hand.

A couple had just passed me on the sidewalk when the lady asked if I had a light. Sense I had my cigar hanging out of my mouth where I was chewing on it while I worked, I had my lighter in my pocked. When I started to reach for it (with the same hand with the surefire in it) the man lunged at my arm. He was startled to find 60 odd lumens strobing his eyes as I backed away, noticing that one hand was in his hoodie. I sternly told them that we should go our seperate ways, and he looked at me and saw that one hand was inside of my vest, and they scurried off into the night.

Now honestly, I have no idea what he was doing, although I don't think any reason was going to be good enough for him to get a hand on me, and I have no idea what was in that other hand underneath that hoodie. I DO know that the surefire gave me enough latitude to move back and away, let him know that I was not sheep, and I believe deescelated it enough for him to decide that no matter what he was thinking before, that now was the time to go elsewhere.

I am, as a side note, very angry about this, as it is the third time in the last year that I or someone I know directly have been affected by some sort of odd behavior (the other two were out and out muggings with knives) that didn't used to happen in my hometown. The place has became more and more dangerous and it irritates me to no end and is the reason I finally decided last year that I needed to be able to legally armed. I never would have thought it necessary in the past.

Finally I would like to say that I am quite happy with the way things turned out. Everyone went their seperate ways, and no one was harmed. Incidentally, when crossing a couple of streets away I found thirty dollars laying in the middle of the street, which seemed like a funny bit of karma / shrug.

Rule # 1: Anyone asking for a light, travelling with a companion, has just proven themselves, and their companion, to be too stupid to trusted out in public- or they are looking for trouble.

Don't be afraid to be a jerk.

"I don't smoke."
    "But you're smoking a cigar!"
    "Holy Shiite, it is on fire. How'd that happen....", as you walk off.

I am much more concerned about letting people getting close to me now. I have become rather rude to 'shady' characters asking rather simple questions and walking towards me...I now shout for them to stay away and not to bother me.

Honest hardworking people don't ask for the time or a 'light' in dark parking lots...I have no problem keeping strangers away from my 'space'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Goblin moved on down the line - good deal!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member
    Was you armed???? Hope so!!! Ya them surefires make the BG's look like a deer in headlights, to bad we just can't run'em over. Glad all was well with you. Kinda makes a person think they should carry OC and give them a good dousing with that.

Z

VIP Member
    You did a good job with the light, no doubt they were up to something, nothing like a bright light to wreck a BG's night vision and change his mind.

Send your story to Surefire, I'll bet they'd love to hear it.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin132 View Post
    Finally I would like to say that I am quite happy with the way things turned out. Everyone went their seperate ways, and no one was harmed. Incidentally, when crossing a couple of streets away I found thirty dollars laying in the middle of the street, which seemed like a funny bit of karma / shrug.
    You wouldn't rather have put a hurtin' on what was obviously a bad person, who probably meant to take what was yours, at the very least--and possibly meant to do you harm, as well?

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

See, if it was me, I'd feel bad at the end of it all that I hadn't put a stop to his criminal predation. And the fact that he's got some girlfriend acting as his accomplice makes it all the more sickening.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I am much more concerned about letting people getting close to me now. I have become rather rude to 'shady' characters asking rather simple questions and walking towards me...I now shout for them to stay away and not to bother me.
    A policy that can easily prolong your life.

Honest hardworking people don't ask for the time or a 'light' in dark parking lots...
    No joke. "It's late, that's what time it is."
    "No light: smoking's bad for you. Now get goin'."

Rule # 1: Anyone asking for a light, travelling with a companion, has just proven themselves, and their companion, to be too stupid to trusted out in public- or they are looking for trouble.
    That's one of the most-important "rules" to keep in mind. In an open society where people can move about freely, you never know what you're going to find. As likely as anything, you're marked, you're approached ... you're attacked.

Good on ya, for keeping your wits. It's a good example of using the tools quickly and effectively. Light. Very useful.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    You wouldn't rather have put a hurtin' on what was obviously a bad person, who probably meant to take what was yours, at the very least--and possibly meant to do you harm, as well?

See, if it was me, I'd feel bad at the end of it all that I hadn't put a stop to his criminal predation. And the fact that he's got some girlfriend acting as his accomplice makes it all the more sickening.
    No doubt those "street rats" needed a hurtin', and I'm all for that but it's not clear to me yet whether the OP was ccw, he really didn't say for sure. If he were unarmed, I'd say he did pretty well getting himself out of a potentially bad situation. No doubt with his past knowledge he should have been ccw.

If he was ccw during this,(he mentioned his hand in his vest) I'd like to hear more about his reasoning and choices he made.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post

Um, that's not what I carry, and I suspect not why the vast majority of people carry.

The OP did very well - he protected himself, and did so with a reasonable degree of force. He didn't mistake himself for the Masked Avenger and set out to escalate the conflict for the purpose of punishing the criminal.

Well done, in my book.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I am almost always armed, the only time I am not is when I am at my college, which with one semester left I would loose out alot if I was to be expelled for it - that and a commission in the army would all be down the drain. I was armed at this time, and I was ready if a weapon was produced, but training and instinct from prior military service in plain clothes protection details overseas lent itself to disorient (the light), displace, (lateral movement while keeping the light steady and on the face of the man), and prepare / observe (keeping my eyes and ears open all around as much as possible, and taking a firm grip on my CCW). No weapon was produced, so I kept my senses alert and moved on to my destination.

I am not a LEO, and its not my place to persue bad guys. That being said, this situation worked out well from my point of view. I have a feeling that shooting would be different depending on the situation - as we say in the army its all METT-TC dependant. Situation dependant is what it basically means. /shrug. I just want to be left alone. And I was :)

Well done Paladin. My only suggestion would be to file a report with the local police department. It will demonstrate a record of avoiding the use of your firearm and from the sound of it, you are probably going to have to use it someday.

A record of not using the weapon in iffy situations, in my mind, is evidence that you only use it as a last resort. If I had to shoot, I would love to have a stack of police reports where shady people had accosted me and I didn't use the weapon. Also demonstrates that there is a crime problem in your neighborhood and if the "State" was so concerned about you not shooting anyone, then why didn't they ever make an effort to deal with the crime problems that you had to live with.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Usually carry OC and CCW (except @ work, then OC & Gerber Gator) Carried Surefire later in the day, until tailcap switch failed, now waiting for parts. Ya' dun gud! Blinding predator with light better than muzzle flash!

Palladin: where ya' fron. boy? Native Hillbilly myself, still in the Southeastern part of "Almost heaven".

Bob

Up in the Huntington area, and thanks all for the comments. Much appriciated, and the one about filing a report is definitly something I had not considered before. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links