true story Akron Ohio, 5 vs 1 on bikes aged 13-16

This is a discussion on true story Akron Ohio, 5 vs 1 on bikes aged 13-16 within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened yesterday in Akron, Ohio. Boy I only live 13 miles from there. It's downtown area but 1530 hours? My question is how would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: true story Akron Ohio, 5 vs 1 on bikes aged 13-16

This happened yesterday in Akron, Ohio. Boy I only live 13 miles from there. It's downtown area but 1530 hours? My question is how would you handle? "empty your pockets" kinda makes you tip your hand, one has a gun, what if others do, my goodness, 5 vs 1, even for Chuck Norris and an Uzzi would be iffy. And the fact that it's 5 young "men", i'm begging to think that once you hit puberty put them in Adult coart.

" About 8:30 p.m. Monday, a 21-year-old Akron man told police that five kids had robbed him at gunpoint.

He was walking on East Exchange Street near Sumner Street when five juveniles on bicycles surrounded him. One boy asked the victim for change for a dollar. When the victim said that he didn't have any money, another boy pulled out a gun and ordered the man to empty his pockets. He did so and the boys pedaled away with his cell phone, bank card and driver's license.

Police were called. Officers saw several boys on bikes matching the descriptions of the robbers. They were arrested on South Main Street in front of Cascade Plaza, where officers recovered the victim's property.

All five are at the Summit County Juvenile Detention Center accused of aggravated robbery. Their ages range from 13 to 16. "

wow,,,so young,,,wonder where the parents of these kids were ?

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    run?
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I think it was probably an airsoft gun.

It would've been a clean shoot on the kid with a gun. I almost feel bad saying it because of his age, but really.. You commit crimes then you had better be prepared to reap what you sow.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Chances are good if you shoot the one with the gun, the others will flee like roaches when the light gets turned on.

Suddenly it goes from 5 to 1 down to one dead kid with a gun and the others no where to be seen.

Still, be prepared to shoot anyone else who produces a weapon!

That's why both my primary and BUG are hi-capacity weapons.

G-23 & XD9sc
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    I think it was probably an airsoft gun.

It would've been a clean shoot on the kid with a gun. I almost feel bad saying it because of his age, but really.. You commit crimes then you had better be prepared to reap what you sow.
    Before I read your post, my immediate suspicion was that it was a BB gun or something. (Since airsoft are made to look like replicas, you're probably closer to the mark.)

I don't feel the "bad" that you feel about talking about shooting anyone who is committing a robbery with what he presents to be a firearm, even if it is not in fact a firearm. It's the ACT that counts.

Note to bad guys: don't go trying to rob me with an airsoft gun, because you'll find that I am suddenly not so sure that it's not a real gun, and will find myself forced to act on a worst-case basis.

And I'll sleep just as soundly as ever if I have to shoot an armed robber and have his friends go up for felony murder, knowing I helped society clean itself up just a bit.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    That's why both my primary and BUG are hi-capacity weapons.

G-23 & XD9sc
    Would you mind elucidating? Why do you choose to go with a different caliber, make and model from primary to backup?

Why not go with G23 and G27, then, so you can make use of the same-caliber, same-magazine capability? That could only help...

There is a method to my madness.

1. I have some slight nerve damage in my dominant hand and while I can shoot a .40 cal sub compact well and accurately, after 4 or 5 magazines with a G-27 my hand started getting numb and I didn't want to limit my range sessions or risk further damage. Don't seem to have any limits on the 4" G-23.

2. I was wanting to let the wife shoot my sub compact 9mm to see if she likes it better than the 5 shot SP-101 .38. She has been shooting with my XD9sc a few times and if she really likes it, I'll probably give it to her to replace her SP-101.

If she ends up taking the XD9 I'm thinking of trying out a G-30 or the XD45c.

.45 acp doesn't seem to punish my hand the way the .40 cal does. I think the .40 in a real short barrel has a more stout/snappy recoil than the .45

If I can handle the small .45 I'll go back to a .45 for both my guns. I have a Para P-12 and a Colt Officers that I've had for years. Just been shooting polymers lately and enjoy them.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I don't feel the "bad" that you feel about talking about shooting anyone who is committing a robbery with what he presents to be a firearm...

...forced to act on a worst-case basis.

And I'll sleep just as soundly as ever...
    Peaceful...

I couldn't agree more...

Today's world is filled with 'more and more' youthful, adult-crime, vicious predators. Perhaps, I am also growing more coldly aware of one's need to be constantly vigilant of EVERYONE, young or old, but especially the young thug(s) who seem to lack any remorse, concious, or personal value of human life!

I believe that I could sleep soundly at night if forced to make that costly decision to 'save me or mine' from an armed robbery attempt.

What a terrible position to be placed into...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A "situational-awareness" scenario. Stepping to the outside of what was clearly an encircling manuever, and being hand-on-weapon, goes a long way in de-escalation.

I got caught late one night between the ship's (Supertanker) gang-plank and my parked car by a dozen or so members of a Vietnamese Teenage Gang on the docks in Singapore. I had a briefcase FULL of U.S. Currency (Company Money) and a Beretta 92. It got dicey in-a-hurry & I really thought I was going to have to kill several teenagers. A VERY difficult decision was going be made VERY quickly. Suddenly (Thank God) a half-dozen Merchant Marine Seamen happened upon the scene and recognised me. With a more level playing-field, the teens scattered quickly. I had a nice bottle of Single Malt Scotch (a gift for the Captain) in my car. I gave it, along with my thanks, to the sailors.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Administrator
    I wouldnt assume for one second that its a BB gun or airsoft.
    These ghetto kids are often armed with the real deal.

I'm working on a drug case right now that the dealer uses kids on bikes as his look outs around his "shop". I know that at least two of them are armed with Hi Points, and one does have what appears to be a bb gun, but I'm not sure. The youngest looks to be about 12, the oldest about 16 or 17.
    They will circle like sharks anyone who does not belong in the neighborhood, and if they think you have something they want, you will get robbed... once your away from the "shop".
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'd have no problem at all with shooting a BG, adult or teenager! A BG is still a BG, no matter the age..not my fault nor responsibility that their parents failed in raising them to be "honest and responsible"...think of it as thinning the gene pool of a future more violent BG. There is not a shortage of BG's, yet.

Well Doc, "the problem" isn't always in the shooting, but in the aftermath. And, honestly, I believe I would have a more difficult time making the decision to shoot a teenager on a bicycle than making that same decision regarding an adult, say...in a robbery or mugging scenero. I'm not (at all) dismissing the potential visciousness or danger of a teenage criminal. I just think making the distinction between shooting a Bad Boy & a Bad Man would, for me, be difficult. And, yes, that hesitation could get me killed.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Well Doc, "the problem" isn't always in the shooting, but in the aftermath. And, honestly, I believe I would have a more difficult time making the decision to shoot a teenager on a bicycle than making that same decision regarding an adult, say...in a robbery or mugging scenero. I'm not (at all) dismissing the potential visciousness or danger of a teenage criminal. I just think making the distinction between shooting a Bad Boy & a Bad Man would, for me, be difficult. And, yes, that hesitation could get me killed.
    I agree, that would be tough. necessary but still tough
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links