Defensive Carry banner

Practice Folks ~ It's So Important.

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  KC135 
#1 ·
"The man in that family, who had a handgun permit, pulled his gun and exchanged gunshots with the teen. During that shootout, the man's young son was shot in the face. The boy was taken to Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt. His injuries were not life threatening, police said."

Teen arrested in spree of violence

Security guard killed; two others wounded

By AMBER NORTH
Staff Writer
and The Associated Press

A 15-year-old Nashville boy has been charged in a series of shootings and robberies yesterday that left one man dead and two people wounded, including a little boy who was shot in the face.

Lavender Howse was charged with criminal homicide, attempted criminal homicide, especially aggravated robbery, aggravated robbery, carjacking and aggravated assault, Nashville police spokesman Don Aaron said. Howse was arrested this morning.

Howse was a suspect in a shooting on Oak Street and a carjacking at a Shell gas station on Douglas Avenue and Ellington Parkway. He also was considered a "person of interest" in shootings and robberies at a Shoe Carnival store and in the parking lot of a Hecht's store near RiverGate Mall.

The string of violent incidents began yesterday afternoon. Police think Howse left his home after arguing with his parents and went to a Shell gas station, where he stole a car from someone he confronted in the parking lot, Capt. Mike Hagar said.

The next incident occurred at Shoe Carnival, where a youth stole a pair of shoes, then shot and killed Chris Davis, a security guard who confronted him.

After that, police believe, the same youth tried to rob a family in the Hecht's parking lot.

The man in that family, who had a handgun permit, pulled his gun and exchanged gunshots with the teen. During that shootout, the man's young son was shot in the face. The boy was taken to Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt. His injuries were not life threatening, police said.

The young gunman fled, and later, on Oak Street, a woman was shot in the back while walking her dog. Police suspect Howse of that shooting.

See less See more
#2 ·
Practice indeed - hard to actually conceive of too much practice being other than useful (if expensive!!). Not much use going ''bang'' umpteen times if it does not connect. I'd not choose to ''exchange'' gunshots - simply ''deliver'' if it comes to it!!

Very necessary to have good inbuilt muscle memory and draw fluidity.

I checked my SIG again dry-fire today - on draw with eyes closed, it is, when up and presented - with sights aligned when I check. Every time I see that I know I am able to ''react'' satisfactorily - and all this before finger on trigger. That only occurs in last mili second if required.

Pure carry is not enough - there is way more to it.

#3 ·
P95

Can always count on you to add the flawless follow-up to nearbout any thread.
Now, I don't hafta say anything more. :biggrin:
Which is good since I have a pounding sinus headache right now. :wink:

#4 ·
pounding sinus headache right now.
Sorry to hear that QK - Rx - Tylenol plus the top (substantial) fraction of a fifth of Wild Turkey. Dulls the pain and all but guarantees a blissful sleep - after which things will seem better! LOL

Thx for the compliment Sir! :smile:

#5 ·
On other boards I have preached until I am blue about practice. Yep, there is some cost, but go by Wally World and get some Winchester White Box, the price is not too bad. Practice and practice some more until every move is second nature.

#6 ·
I'm trying to imagine what the timing and positions of the family members were in the case where the boy was shot in the face. Did the father have any time to offset his position away from his family before shooting? Had he ever discussed with his family about ducking/taking cover in an event like this?

Along with the practice I think there is a need to discuss these sorts of scenarios with the family members so that they can be prepared as well. I've seen some of our other threads hit on discussions between spouses/girlfriends, but for those with children, it is probably wise to bring them into the discussion too! Just my 2 coppers.

#7 ·
There is more to practice than putting rounds downrange. There is a lot that a person can do that doesn't cost anything but time. When we go to the range we set up ideal conditions and known courses of fire. Try doing pushups till exhaustion and then working on your drawing and dryfiring or do jumping jacks until breating heavily and then do so. When you actually go to the range, go with a buddy and have your buddy set up scenarios that you have to enter unknowing of what you'll have to confront.

Have a target set up somewhere on the range that is the "response" target. You don't shoot at it unless your buddy randomly starts screaming for you to do so at which point you have to stop doing whaterver you are doing and start putting shots on that target with you carry gun from concealment. You can have your carry gun on even if target shooting with something else. All safety rules apply DOUBLY so in such training. You have to free your hands of whatever is in them and move to a postion where you can safely put shots on target.

It is more important to train your mind to react than it is to train your hands to shoot. The problem with scenario training is that we know there is a scenario in progress. When we actually need our weapons we are usually faced with an "out of the blue" situation where we have bags of groceries in our hands or whatever.

#8 ·
The man with the handgun carry permit who shot back, was the one involved in the attempted car jacking at Rivergate Mall. It has not been disclosed if he was walking to his car at the time or if he was sitting in his car at the time.

I wrote on another board that I had just got off the interstate and was driving down in front of the mall when this happened. Cops camed from every direction and traffic moved very slowly. The more I think about it, Lavender Howse could have easily walked out into traffic and attempted to carjack me, or anyone else as we sat there in bumper to bumper traffic.

Which is a little scary, because you never know where your rounds are going to go when you're forced to shoot through your rolled up drivers side window. Especially when there is a line of cars, full of people, directly to your left...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.