Car door as cover

Car door as cover

This is a discussion on Car door as cover within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have no specific scenario in mind but watching last week's PDTV segment got me to thinking. Though it is not an impenatrable shield, is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car door as cover

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar

Car door as cover

I have no specific scenario in mind but watching last week's PDTV segment got me to thinking. Though it is not an impenatrable shield, is it tactically effective to use the door as cover?

The car door provides some measure of concealment and is a vantage point to have visibility and return fire. Certainly incoming bullet velocity will be diminished perhaps protecting vital organs if hit. On the other hand, remaining (or diving into) the car and keeping low provides better cover from the front and may enable one to drive away but is a far more precarious defensive position.

Has anyone thought about these types of scenarios?
    Last edited by SelfDefense; October 6th, 2007 at 10:44 PM. Reason: typo

Cover vs concealment

A car door cannot act as cover, since cover is considered to stop bullets. However the door can act as concealment, such as a wall can, or a barrel, but since bullets can pass through walls and doors and such, they are not considered cover.

An automobile door is nuthin' at all to any self-respecting handgun caliber, let alone anything from a rifle or shotgun.

Your best option is neither to rely on the door for cover nor to get inside the vehicle, but to position yourself outside and get as much car between you and and incoming fire as you can. Think engine compartment, wheels and axles, etc.

At least that's how it seems to me, not from experience but from common sense.

maybe a stupid question,but i dont watch too much tv but what is
    pdtv?????? thanks in advance for any answers.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

It is a show on the OUTDOOR Channel. We get it with our Direct TV. Can't remember what the initals stand for, but it is a really good program about self defense weapons and tactics for the public. Massad Ayoob has a segment and others who are experts on the subject. My husband just got the DVD collection of the first season.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Administrator
    A car door might be concealment, but it is not cover. If I'm close to a car door, I'm close to a car and I'm outta there.

True, it will slow the bullet and sap of energy out, but I've seen .380's on up slice right through a car door.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I've personally shot 22 through junk car doors. A car door is sheet metall and plastic. If you need to use a car as cover think engine wheel wells. But even then thats not a 100%.

I don't watch any television (~5hrs/yr), but I did happen to catch a 5min period on the "Mythbusters" show where they were testing exactly that: how good was a car door for use as cover. Basically, you're toast. Any decent round's going to go right through, at least according to their summary.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    your best cover as Leo ar trained is the engine and wheels . Also u never want to be trapped in the car so outside the car is your best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by glock27mark View Post
    maybe a stupid question,but i dont watch too much tv but what is
    pdtv?????? thanks in advance for any answers.
    PDTV = Personal Defense TV
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Administrator
    Some car doors have a heavier steel side impact insert and they are more effective as true cover. It depends on the car.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Speaking of car doors... I have a friend that built a black powder cannon that shoots pool balls through both sides of a car at 100 yards... Holy Cow! Amazing what centuries old technology can still do!

Car doors provide concealment, but not cover. If fighting from a vehicle, better to be inside with front of car pointed to the threat and engage by peeking out through crack of open door exposing as little as possible.

Probably best bet is to be outside of car if possible and use as much of major structures of car as possible.

Probably the absolute best is to drive the vehicle out of the kill zone or ambush point as quickly as possible keeping as low as possible behind the dash.

There is one point to be made... One I wouldn't bet my life on, but if it's all you have, it's all you have. And that is that concealment, often times provides "psychological cover" in that people who are not real savy about guns and bullets, tend not to fire into concealment. Kind of like it provides a psychological barrier where they see a barrier and think bullets won't go through it, therefore they don't tend to fire into it.

Kind of flimsy I know, and certainly nothing to stake your life on... but again, if it's ALL YOU GOT... it's certainly better than standing out in the open!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    There was a segment over on the "Box Of Truth" that he tested a variety of rounds out on a car...(basically haven fun blasting a old car),and posting the results...try.. www.theboxotruth.com look around I think they call it "the Buick of truth" or something...
    Last edited by simon; October 7th, 2007 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Link edit

Quote Originally Posted by f8lranger4x4 View Post
    your best cover as Leo ar trained is the engine and wheels . Also u never want to be trapped in the car so outside the car is your best bet.
    +1 If you are on one side of the car and the Bg is on the other, the front tires, with an engine block in between are your best bet.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Sheet metal does not stop bullets. You might hide behind a door, but is no protection from a speeding bullet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links