Funny Story

Funny Story

This is a discussion on Funny Story within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On Saturday night I received a call from the alarm company that monitors the alarm at the office where I work. I am the president ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Funny Story

Funny Story

On Saturday night I received a call from the alarm company that monitors the alarm at the office where I work. I am the president of the company, and if the call gets to me it means no one else is going to respond (last number they dial).

The zone was an upstairs door and motion so I decided to meet the police there (it didn't hurt that my in-laws were spending the night and this got me out for a while). I pulled up right as the LEO got there and introduced myself and informed him who I was and told him I would open the building up. I also informed him that I was a CCW holder and that I was carrying.

His response? "If there's a bad guy let me shoot him." That was it, ROFL. I then proceeded to open the various areas of the office while he walked point (gun holstered).

As an FYI - I never took my firearm out or even showed it to him and he didn't ask.

Distinguished Member
    Hawk: Did you think to ask the LEO if he just wounded the BG, was it ok if you finished him off?

Z

Thats pretty funny. I think if I had been the police officer, and rounds started flying, I would have felt pretty dumb knowing I basically just told you that I don't want any help from you to save my life. Cop or not, bullets and BGs dont care if you have a badge to go with the gun, or a permit to go with the gun. I'm glad he didnt hassle you and everything went smooth. God bless!
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

Administrator
    I think you missed the humor in the cops comment Chaddae...
    "Just blame Sixto"

He actually was one of the funniest guys I have ever run into in a situation like that. He kept cracking jokes the whole time we were in there. He was either a little nervous (doubt it) or he was just really bored and was glad to get a call that didn't involve a dom. dispute / drunk guy / whatever other unpleasantness he usually deals with.

Okay, but if there are two of them . . .

Sounds like a good guy that sees the humor in a usually humorless business.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Great story. Just my plug nickle but I think I would send a note to his chief about his professionalism. I'm guessing they rarely get positive feedback
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Administrator
    Funny comment. Glad everything worked out OK.
    Do remember to keep your awareness level up and negotiate the situation correctly.
    Some day it may not be a false alarm and then things tend to get real serious in a big hurry.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Cops like backup and knowing you were there and armed probably helped more than you realize, but you should have at least offered him some of your +p+ stuff for his gun, it's nice to share.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Glad he had a sense of humor..I have several LE friends who use to have a great sense of humor but I think their training took it away from them..they don't smile or cut up anymore. The advice that this officer gave you was good advice IMHO...so what was the outcome? faulty alarm or did you have a possum running around inside?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    Glad he had a sense of humor..I have several LE friends who use to have a great sense of humor but I think their training took it away from them..they don't smile or cut up anymore.
    It aint the training... but thats a whole new thread.

I really like it when the boss comes out to an alarm drop and walks the building with me. It shows that they care, and I get to meet what usually is a nice guy with a unique perspective.
    I'm always shocked when they dont come out, or even get mad when we request them to. Its their company...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Was the responding officer an experienced (multiple year Street Cop) LEO or less-experienced? And was the continued humor triggered as a defense to a tense situation?

I ask because I've been told by close friends that when things get real uh, well...edgy, I become quietly hilarious! It's just always been my natural way of staying awake, aware & alive. It has quieted the urgency of the situation, making the best tactics for resolution easier to consider.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Could you imagine the harassment an officer would take if he was clearing a building and the building owner got the shot off before the officer did. Not saying there is anything wrong with it but I would imagine the locker room antics would be great if someone else took the bad guy out with the cop sitting there with his hands on his waist.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

You should always let the officer shoot the bad guy! If you shoot the bad guy, he has a whole pile of paperwork to do. If you kill the bad guy you just tied this officer up for the rest of his shift. On the other hand, if you let him shoot the bad guy he gets a couple days of administrative leave while someone else does all of the paperwork!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    ...if you let him shoot the bad guy he gets a couple days of administrative leave while someone else does all of the paperwork!
    hehehe At my department it's a mandatory 3 days admin leave, so ya, paid vacation and no paperwork is great! lol And man, a lot of people seem to think that LE is such a depressing industry. Quite the contrary, actually. We laugh all the time. lol

Cheers.
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms; history shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected people to carry arms have prepared their own fall." Adolf Hitler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links