Adjacent land owner shot at a hunter

This is a discussion on Adjacent land owner shot at a hunter within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Joe R Actually, Michigan's rules read the same as Texas. The key phrase is "except a .22 caliber or smaller rimfire". That ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Adjacent land owner shot at a hunter

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Joe R View Post
    Actually, Michigan's rules read the same as Texas. The key phrase is "except a .22 caliber or smaller rimfire". That means any rimfire of .22 caliber or smaller is illegal to use for big game in Michigan. Any rimfire of greater than .22 caliber is legal, if you can find a rifle so chambered that is still safe to fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quonset Hut
    Err - No - As long as you are using a five round magazine, an AR or Mini-14 is fine in Michigan to hunt deer. My Conservation Officer relative sometimes hunts with .223. Here is the rule - Shell Capacity for Shotguns and Centerfire Rifles - It is unlawful to hunt with a semi-automatic shotgun or semi-automatic rifle, other than a .22 caliber rimfire, that can hold more than six shells in the barrel and magazine combined. Fully automatic firearms are illegal...It is legal to hunt deer in the rifle zone with any caliber of firearm except a .22 caliber or smaller rimfire (rifle or handgun).
    Not quite right, there is one more caveat, you cannot hunt with anything smaller than .45 cal bellow I believe it's the 42nd parallel. Try a .223 down here in my area and you you will loose it all relative to the DNR officer or not.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

2. Remove Ads

He needs to go to jail. He's lucky the guy in the tree stand didn't have a way to fire back.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    A game warden friend has told me of similar incidents. Sometimes they happen when a hunter (usually from a large city) doesn't recognize or resepect the boudaries between property. I'm not saying this is the case here, or that it justifies the behavior of the other land owner. Just that these things happen.
    So people not only shoot at others, but shoot UP to a tree stand? Who knows what's happening with the scattered shots...

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    Not quite right, there is one more caveat, you cannot hunt with anything smaller than .45 cal bellow I believe it's the 42nd parallel. Try a .223 down here in my area and you you will loose it all relative to the DNR officer or not.
    Of course, one cannot hunt with rifles in the shotgun areas of Michigan.

I hope the cops throw the book at the neighbor. Someone who would do this is a danger to everyone and should not be allowed to own guns. the neighbor had to be drunk or nuts.

I really don't know what type of advise to give except to say have your friend swear out a complaint with the police. I've got permission to hunt a piece of property with the same type of next door neighbor. He warned me not to come with in 300 yards of his property line and I never had any problems. It's always best to walk away if you can with out returning fire.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

I am not a hunter, but what is the big deal about hunting on someone else's land? or "near" someone else's land?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    I am not a hunter, but what is the big deal about hunting on someone else's land? or "near" someone else's land?
    It's call trespassing.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Quote Originally Posted by ridurall View Post
    He warned me not to come with in 300 yards of his property line
    I would tell him to go to hell. He has no right to make that demand and no expectation that anyone has to comply.

He better be ready to die if he thinks he will make it stick.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    It's call trespassing.

Z
    Hunting near someone's property line, while outside of it, is not trespassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe R View Post
    I would tell him to go to hell. He has no right to make that demand and no expectation that anyone has to comply.

He better be ready to die if he thinks he will make it stick.
    I was not quite thinking of the GTH part but 300 yards is a very long chunk of land to declare a DHZ and basically they have no right to dictate what happens over the line.
    On the other hand when you are an invited guest and not the property owner it is best to not try and make trouble. However if I was the owner and he tried to give me that directive it would not fly very far.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I was missunderstood. The owner of the property I WAS HUNTING told me not to come to within 300 yards of the property line. The other land owner was crazy and not to be trusted. Since there was plenty of rivier bottom land to hunt it was not a big geal. I just took it as a word to the wise and less confrontation is always better. Now if I have a problem with someone shooting at me near my 400 acres we are going to talk to the law and I'm going to protect myself and family. I don't want to get into a fire fight but my land is bought and payed for and no one is going to tell me I can't hunt on it.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    It's call trespassing.

Z
    What if you shoot the deer and it stumbles onto someone elses property to die?

Call the Game Warden. If you know your neighbors, it probably isn't a big deal to cross the property line after it, but it's a wise idea to go by their house first so they know what's going on.

Near somebody's land shouldn't be a problem. On somebody else's land? That's like coming home and finding somebody sitting on your couch watching TV. Or going out in the driveway and seeing somebody sitting in your car.

Depends on state law.

I know that in Kansas (last state I hunted deer in) you must get permission from an adjacent landowner to pursue wounded game. If he doesn't give it, tough. Either he tags it and keeps it or it goes to the coyotes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links