Adjacent land owner shot at a hunter

This is a discussion on Adjacent land owner shot at a hunter within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I won't get into too many details, because the police are investigating, but long story short. I gave a buddy permission to hunt on our ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adjacent land owner shot at a hunter

Adjacent land owner shot at a hunter

I won't get into too many details, because the police are investigating, but long story short. I gave a buddy permission to hunt on our family land. One of the adj. land owners didn't like it for whatever reason and fired what we thing was an AR in his general vicinity from about 60yds away. The deputies found some of the cases, but couldn't pick them up without a warrant. Said it looked like .223. Anyway, my buddy said he was in the tree stand, the guy said a few things, and then opened fire. Buddy said the he heard bullets going by on both sides of him. He basically hollered out, "hey you dumb , your shooting at me." LO came back with "I know you dumb ." Nobody was hurt, just shaken up.

I was planning on going back in those woods with my next door neighbor and his son, had the buddy not been hunting. Buddy doesn't CCW, so he hunkered down behind a tree until the guy stopped shooting. I do, and would have been if I would have been walking back there.

Trapped in the woods with a neighbor and his boy and your SIG P239, against a crotchety old fart with an AR. Do you return fire, hide or run? Both from a legal standpoint, and a saving u'r butt standpoint.

FYI, he is pressing charges and they are supposed to swear out a warrant tonight if it hasn't been down already.
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Taking fire in a tree stand from a semi-auto rifle at 60yds. while armed only with a pistol and bolt-gun? I think I'd be behind the tree with my pistol, ready to fire downward if he decides to get closer.

I hope that neighbor gets nailed to the wall. There's no excuse for his actions.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Personally? I would take cover and return fire if he presented a target.

You have no idea if he is alone and someone is circling you or if he is going to keep you pinned down until he can get an angle on the shot. I am darn sure not going to show my backside to a guy with a high capacity rifle capable of a extremely high rate of accurate fire.

The only thing I would ask is why he was hunting within 60 yards of the property next door. How much land is available for hunting? I've got a pretty good idea as to why the guy was shooting at him, but I could be all wet.

What was your buddy hunting with? If a bow, he is SOL until he can get out of there. A deer rifle is better than a pistol.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    Taking fire in a tree stand from a semi-auto rifle at 60yds. while armed only with a pistol and bolt-gun? I think I'd be behind the tree with my pistol, ready to fire downward if he decides to get closer.

I don't know what you carry for a bolt gun, but I carry one of two .308s and they are tack drivers for beyond 60 yds and one .308 will end the fight in the bad guy real fast.

chenemf said:What was your buddy hunting with? If a bow, he is SOL until he can get out of there. A deer rifle is better than a pistol.
    IMHO, a rifle will always be better than a pistol at range.

I have had some bad situations before, and also have dealt with my share of dumb**** while out hunting. But I have already pretty well made up my mind that if I ever get caught in a situation like this, I don't intend to have a conversation about it with the shooter or to fire warning shots back.

Just my opinion.
    I
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by prawls View Post
    FYI, he is pressing charges and they are supposed to swear out a warrant tonight if it hasn't been down already.
    Sounds like the right path to take, to press it for all it's worth.

The shooter has no excuses and no legitimate explanation. Directly threatening those who have posed no threat is irrresponsible in the extreme. He threatened death to supposed trespassers on someone else's land. Good thing he turned out to be in such dire need of shooting lessons. Whatever his rationale, he just purchased an "E" ticket for a ride to the slammer. I hope he learns something from it, 'cause as it stands he is a serious threat to the well-being of those around him.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My buddy was actually bow hunting. He and his guest (better when they hunt in pairs). Neither of them had a firearm of any kind, and the guest was about 100yds beyond.

If I would have gone back there I probably would have only had one of my pistols. I rethinking that currently. I do have my dad's Win 94 30-30.
    CARRY GUNS:

Here in Michigan, there has been a few cases of treestand bowhunters found dead in their stands-shot. You might want to also check with your fish and wildlife LEO. Some of the anti hunter harassment statutes are easier to make stick than the attempted murder charge you are probably justified in filing.Don't take a pistol to a rifle fight.Chuck.

Wow, I'm glad the neighbor was a crappy shot and your friends are ok. To have been out gunned like that, I would have soiled myself...

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    I don't know what you carry for a bolt gun, but I carry one of two .308s and they are tack drivers for beyond 60 yds and one .308 will end the fight in the bad guy real fast.
    oh, I completely agree. I just wouldn't want to stick my head out while under fire long enough to scan, aquire, and shoot, when he clearly knows exactly where I am. It only takes one .223 to make life real bad for me too.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    oh, I completely agree. I just wouldn't want to stick my head out while under fire long enough to scan, aquire, and shoot, when he clearly knows exactly where I am. It only takes one .223 to make life real bad for me too.
    Oh yea, I agree too. The thing that sucks is when you are cornered and in a fight for your life, you usually don't have the tools on you that you really wanted. I still havn't figured out how to pocket carry a whole armored division, yet.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    Oh yea, I agree too. The thing that sucks is when you are cornered and in a fight for your life, you usually don't have the tools on you that you really wanted. I still havn't figured out how to pocket carry a whole armored division, yet.
    lol. When you figure that one out, let me know.

I really want a Marlin guide gun in .45-70. only problem is the 4-shot capacity. Course it only takes 1 good one.
    CARRY GUNS:

VIP Member

Hide and run if possible

Quote Originally Posted by prawls View Post
    I was planning on going back in those woods with my next door neighbor and his son, had the buddy not been hunting. Buddy doesn't CCW, so he hunkered down behind a tree until the guy stopped shooting. I do, and would have been if I would have been walking back there.

Trapped in the woods with a neighbor and his boy and your SIG P239, against a crotchety old fart with an AR. Do you return fire, hide or run? Both from a legal standpoint, and a saving u'r butt standpoint.

A game warden friend has told me of similar incidents. Sometimes they happen when a hunter (usually from a large city) doesn't recognize or resepect the boudaries between property. I'm not saying this is the case here, or that it justifies the behavior of the other land owner. Just that these things happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    A game warden friend has told me of similar incidents. Sometimes they happen when a hunter (usually from a large city) doesn't recognize or resepect the boudaries between property. I'm not saying this is the case here, or that it justifies the behavior of the other land owner. Just that these things happen.
    Hypothetically, if a hunter roamed over to a neighbor's land, could the neighbor be w/in his rights to fire on the hunter, since the hunter is armed? Neighbor could claim self defense...'i saw a fella on my land w/ a weapon, for fear of my life i opened fire...'

From the sounds of the OP the neighbor is in the wrong this time...but man you have to be really careful.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links