A question for LEO. What to do if I am there when an officer is at risk.

This is a discussion on A question for LEO. What to do if I am there when an officer is at risk. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not an officer either, but I think that calling 911 and identifying yourself to them might be a viable answer. Tell them who you ...

View Poll Results: What to do if I am there when an officer is at risk.

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • An Officer is chasing a suspect who is crossing my path I should help stop him.

42 34.43%
  • An Officer is chasing a suspect who is crossing my path I should get out of the way.

26 21.31%
  • An Officer is losing a fight, over powered or out numbered, I should do what I can to help draw down if I have too. Shoot if I must to save the officer from serious injury or death

94 77.05%
  • An Officer is losing a fight, over powered or out numbered, I should get away and call 911.

7 5.74%
  • A perp has the drop on an police officer I should position myself to take a shot and draw on the suspect, shoot if need be.

61 50.00%
  • A perp has the drop on an police officer get to safety and call 911.

9 7.38%
  • An officer has been shot. Get the officer to safety and render what first aid I can. Shoot the suspect if I can.

68 55.74%
  • An officer has been shot. I should get to safety and call 911.

12 9.84%
  • An officer is in an ongoing shoot out. I should join in and help shoot the BG.

2 1.64%
  • An officer is in an ongoing shoot out. I should identify myself as being armed and follow directions from the officer.

59 48.36%
  • An officer is in an ongoing shoot out. I should get to safety and call 911.

29 23.77%
  • None of the above I should mind my own business.

4 3.28%
  • None of the above I should take pictures for the media

4 3.28%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A question for LEO. What to do if I am there when an officer is at risk.

I'm not an officer either, but I think that calling 911 and identifying yourself to them might be a viable answer. Tell them who you are, describe yourself and that you are a CCL, armed, and do so FROM COVER. If they can contact the officer and then talk you into where they want you, fine, otherwise the smart thing is to stay out of the fight and help the offices when its over.

As we say in the Army, its all METT-TC dependant. Situations are all going to be different.

Remember that the Austin shooter was pinned down by civilians with deer rifles, and a CCL was on the roof with the two officers who negated that threat as well.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I am not an officer anymore , but my butt was more than once bailed out in barfights by citizens ( small depts kinda have the one riot one ranger attitude lol ) . What i would do is call 911 and lay the cellphone down then assist the officer by whatever means were necessary . if he is in a physical situation that has went rodeo well i wear steel toed shoes normally and i can convince somone to " get off " If he is in a gunfight well i can keep them off his back behind cover myself . If they need shot i guess ill shoot them a little , but lets run out of all other options first , and lets have the incident recorded .. thus the 911 open line . I am not a cop anymore and i have no desire to do the job , by the same token right or wrong no officer is gonna get a buttwhippin or hurt if i can stop it .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

First aid and CPR certified Vs Trained

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    In any situation you should always identify yourself to the officer, follow their directives and render assistance where ever possible.

N I disagree any first aid bad or otherwise is better than none at all. No action and they die, you act and they die, the individual is already in a life threatening situation, simply attempting to stop bleeding by applying pressure to a wound can save a life.
    I too would think that a wounded police officer would want some help to stop the bleeding. Only someone with some training will be confident enough to step up and help in most cases anyway. I have to keep my CPR and first aid current for my job.

Head and kneck injuries can be the most dangerous when rendering first aid. However, if you are unconsious and I check your pulse to find no heartbeat, I may break some ribs and bruise your body, but I am going to do what I can to try to get air in your lungs and blood to your brain. Bullet holes? Just stop the bleeding.

There are different levels of competence when it comes to first aid. There are different levels of treatment that are required for each situation.

An aquaintence of mine was stabbed in the heart outside a nightclub. His mouth got to running in the wrong crowd. A patron saved his life by jamming three fingers into his heart (plugging the hole) until EMS arrived. She happened to be a trauma nurse.

Dough! - does anybody know the number for 911????

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links