Maglite vs. gun

This is a discussion on Maglite vs. gun within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was reading a trucking industry forum and came across a thread about drivers carrying guns. Most of the drivers responding to the thread all ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maglite vs. gun

Maglite vs. gun

I was reading a trucking industry forum and came across a thread about drivers carrying guns. Most of the drivers responding to the thread all stated that they felt no need to carry a gun, but they carried "other" means for self-defense. Some responded that they carry OC, while a great number of them stated that they keep a 4d maglite in the truck for defense purposes. One guy stated that he took some tactical self-defense training and on a BG that already has his gun pulled, he can disarm him and break his collar bone at 20ft with a 4d maglite before the BG can get one shot off. Is that possible?

2. Remove Ads

i know that this has nothing to do with c.c. but i friend of mine
    is an otr driver who has a couple of dogs who travel with him.
    might just give him the edge he needs to stay safe.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Distinguished Member
    I'd say it is possible IF the BG did not have his gun loaded, and needed the time to do that, outside of that, I can not imagine it is possible. My money's on the BG. Who knows, maybe we will hear about the BG on "The Worlds Dumbs criminals"

Z

Quote Originally Posted by fairway1 View Post
    One guy stated that he took some tactical self-defense training and on a BG that already has his gun pulled, he can disarm him and break his collar bone at 20ft with a 4d maglite before the BG can get one shot off. Is that possible?
    It's possible but the problem is it's not probable though. I would take 3 guys throwing maglites at me over one guy throwing .45 any day of the week. I've always had a big mag-lite in all of my vehicles but it's no comparison to a firearm.

As far as this guy being able to get a maglite to travel faster than a bullet from a gun that's already trained on him? Roger Clemens in his prime could manage 145fps with a baseball and the average pistol can throw a big 'ole .45 at 800 on up to 1000fps. Take a look at a little 9mm and it can get up to 1200fps!!!

I don't think he was referring to throwing the mag lite at the BG. The infamous 21 ft rule with a knife thing come to mind? I think he was saying that he could close the 20 ft, and break the collar bone of the BG before he could draw and fire a shot. The OP statement of disarm a BG and break his collar bone. Disarm is stated first.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I don't think he was referring to throwing the mag lite at the BG. The infamous 21 ft rule with a knife thing come to mind? I think he was saying that he could close the 20 ft, and break the collar bone of the BG before he could draw and fire a shot. The OP statement of disarm a BG and break his collar bone. Disarm is stated first.
    I bet you're right on the clubbing versus launching thing. I pictured a guy in a truck cab having to hurl it at a BG closing in. The main problem I have is the draw and fire is not the parameter. The OP says "on a BG that already has his gun pulled." 21' rule only has a prayer if the gun is in the holster IMO; no way vs. an already drawn and trained gun.

Administrator
    What does breaking the BG collarbone have to do with avoiding getting shot? I've broken my collarbone before, and I was far from disabled.

Anyhoo, some people prefer to live in their fantasys. Not much I can do to change that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I carry a gun so that I don't have to throw things.

not possible unless he was dealing with the slowest BG on the planet, I know that if I have a gun out him and his maglite won't make it 20 ft.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    I'd say it is possible IF the BG did not have his gun loaded, and needed the time to do that, outside of that, I can not imagine it is possible. My money's on the BG. Who knows, maybe we will hear about the BG on "The Worlds Dumbs criminals"
    Z
    You mean "The World's Dumbest Truck Drivers".
    I can see it now.
    Now here's a story of a truck driver who just knew he could run twenty feet at a BG and hit the BG with a 4D Maglite on the shoulder before the BG could put two shots center mass. There's now a search for the drivers rig, no known description of the BG.....
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Yeah, I didn't think it was possible either. I was just curious what everyone here thought.

Anything is possible. Your buddy the truck driver could not do it. Chuck Norris on the other hand....

Austin

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    One guy stated that he took some tactical self-defense training and on a BG that already has his gun pulled, he can disarm him and break his collar bone at 20ft with a 4d maglite before the BG can get one shot off. Is that possible?
    Um, sure, if you can THROW a 4D Maglite 20 feet with force and accuracy, maybe.

Then you must ask yourself whether a BG with a broken collarbone is out of the fight against a trucker who now has no weapon (and has disavowed needing, much less having, a gun of his own). Would it take much for him to switch hands with the gun and still be a lethal threat?

I think that guy is probably a fool, and he's trying to get you all to join him by telling such a tall tale.

Now, if he's talking about closing the distance on foot and clobbering the guy with the Maglite, I have to doubly say he's a FOOL: why on earth would he go for the collarbone rather than the CRANIUM?!

P.S. I was late to notice that Chuck Norris comment... that one had me laughing my head off!

Sounds like mall ninja blather, to me. Sounds like "some" training has gone to his head.

A MagLite has nothing to do with it. Take anything you like, but something you know you can throw well. Say, a baseball. Someone with a gun is facing you. I'd be willing to bet the average person being threatened with death would miss more than strike, from 20 ft away ... with anything, much less an awkward MagLite flashlight. Likelihood of breaking one collar bone? Irrelevant. Likelihood of dropping someone who has a firearm, such that you're no longer at risk of being shot and killed? Approaching nil, I'd think.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My money would be on the gun, in that situation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links