Trespasser killing your pet in the yard, deadly force justified? - Page 2

Trespasser killing your pet in the yard, deadly force justified?

This is a discussion on Trespasser killing your pet in the yard, deadly force justified? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think it would be wise to use other options first. That said, I have to think a decent defense attorney could make sure there's ...

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree321Likes

Thread: Trespasser killing your pet in the yard, deadly force justified?

I think it would be wise to use other options first. That said, I have to think a decent defense attorney could make sure there's at least one dog-lover on the jury.
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

I wouldnt shoot him (at first) I would run out and tell him he is under citizens arrest for the "felony X" that he was involved in. At that point I have every legal right to keep him from leaving in any way that I need to use until the police get there. If he fights me, I will put him down with extreme bias (physically, not using a firearm yet) If it escalated to him grabbing a weapon... then all bets are off
    sqlb3rn likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Dave909's Avatar
    https://www.usacarry.com/indiana_sta...rine_laws.html

The person who steps in my yard and beats my pet will shortly find out if there is a God.
    Havok, Anubus, bill35738 and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array 1911srule's Avatar
    Who says ya gotta use a firearm ? Beat them into submission if you are capable and call the law. You should be able to justify use of force just not deadly force...
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    NOT a Kool Aid drinker. Question everything...
    Political Correctness- the tool used to disarm common sense and destroy America.

That might work for others, but being in a chair I don't have time for all that Chuck Norris BS, they die.
    bill35738 likes this.

mkh
    Teach your dog to fend for himself. Let him beat up the attacker.
    bill35738 likes this.

Oh trust me, my animals will rip you to shreds before they breathe their last, they can handle themselves. But humans are still more dangerous, so I'll come out and save the person from a closed casket funeral.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubus View Post
    I wouldnt shoot him (at first) I would run out and tell him he is under citizens arrest for the "felony X" that he was involved in. At that point I have every legal right to keep him from leaving in any way that I need to use until the police get there. If he fights me, I will put him down with extreme bias (physically, not using a firearm yet) If it escalated to him grabbing a weapon... then all bets are off
    Why not just put yourself in between the dog and batter to protect the dog. Prepared for immediately having to fire on him. If he swings the bat once more to harm the dog, or swings at you to get you to move, drop him from near contact distance. One hand up, stop, start moving between them, other hand on gun not openly displayed, when it becomes imminent, well, you were just trying to protect the dog and ended up having to defend yourself from grave bodily harm or death.

I don't believe it's my responsibility to worry about whether my moving to protect the dog is legal or not, of course one can protect their pet from harm by another animal or person, they can't use deadly force trying to save the dogs life. In the above, they didn't threaten nor display deadly force when they moved between the dog and batter.

ETA,
    When I'm moving as fast as I will be toward the dog, I expect the batter to take note and believe I'm might be rushing him. One can only hope that they make the right choice and move off/desist in their actions or drop the bat and stand there. It's in everyone's best interest that one of the above happens while making the rapid approach, lest a deadly force situation presents itself as imminent, and it will be a bad day for not only the dog, but the batter and myself. I prefer to not have to find out anytime soon. Oh, and it wouldn't have to be MY dog that was getting beat for me to intervene on the dogs behalf, just the way I'm built.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

If you're beating someones' pet or even your own, you've earned that bullet in my opinion. Animal cruelty is right up there with hurting a child.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Exactly, move to intercede the perp and force the situation on him to back off or attack you as well. If he does attack you, game on.
    Exactly what I would do. If, in my intervening, the perp then attacks me, I can defend myself on my property.
    AzQkr and sqlb3rn like this.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array notavictim's Avatar
    NH has a stand your ground law and castle doctrine and is similar to Indiana in that I can use any force up to and including deadly force based on the threat to me. I would get between the attacker and my dog and take whatever steps necessary to prevent myself from getting seriously hurt. I have a feeling that at least one of my dogs would not take kindly to an attack and would protect himself.
    AzQkr likes this.
    “Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
    ~Sheriff Jim Wilson

When I die, I want to go like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep, not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car.

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    I think it would be wise to use other options first. That said, I have to think a decent defense attorney could make sure there's at least one dog-lover on the jury.
    Are you willing to bet your life on that?
    1911srule, CAS_Shooter and baren like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon at large.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Just beat the stranger nearly to death. Doubt there would be a conviction in KY. People often demonstrate that pesky quality called common sense down here.
    bill35738 and rickcharles606 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HotBrass45 View Post
    I have a lot of land. And a shovel.
    When o lived in Florida I had a saying " gators got to eat too"
    bill35738, ETXhiker and baren like this.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and without hesitation.

My two bull mastiffs are registered service dogs. Not sure exactly how that effects the law but I know it dose. If someone was beating them to death I can't honestly say what my reaction would be. not a scenario I'd like to ponder on. About the only thing I could say for sure is that my reactions would be immediate and severe. My male bullie literally saved my life I would not be here if not for him. As I owe him my life I could not stand Idly by and watch him lose his. Unfortunately for myself and more so for the perpetrator I do believe I would have the damn the torpedoes full speed ahead mentality and to hell with the consequences. I truly believe that someone that abuses an animal ( if they're not already doing so ) are one small step from child abuse and are most likely future serial killers. Statistics back me up with this belief. If you check most serial killers start out torturing animals. For scum like that I do have a strong rope and a stout tree that is a permanent cure for what ails them.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and without hesitation.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links