And this is why I go out hunting armed to the teeth...

This is a discussion on And this is why I go out hunting armed to the teeth... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Or at least armed for more than a 4 legged creature with antlers. I went out deer hunting this afternoon. I had a very frustrating ...

Thread: And this is why I go out hunting armed to the teeth...

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar

Or at least armed for more than a 4 legged creature with antlers.

I went out deer hunting this afternoon. I had a very frustrating day with work, and I needed to work off some steam. So I decided to go out and check out a new area that I had spotted and marked with my GPS.

A 6 mile round trip on foot, 3 ridges crossed twice, and pitch black darkness later I am hiking my way out. I was way up on a road cut in the side of a mountain and the main gravel road was straight down below me around 200 yds, and my truck was a little over a 1/4 mile away from me. I noticed a truck driving on the road below and figured it was some other hunters on their way out when suddenly the truck anchors it on the road roughly 200 yds before reaching my truck.

Spidey senses tingling, I immediately go lights out and hunker down to see whats going on. Then I heard it. The small crack of a firearm.

Poachers!

I watched patiently while proned out for cover. I don't even think they realized that my truck was parked just ahead of them behind a brush pile.

All I could do was sit there and wait while they conducted their business. I couldn't get a description of the truck because it was absolutely pitch black. Couldn't call out on the cell phone because there is no reception in that area. My GPS is also a GMRS radio, but I wasn't ready to call in a genneral distress call just yet partially because of the risk that they might have one as well.

Patience was my ally in this event. I had the advantage of surprise, cover, and darkness. On my hunting rifles I have cartridge carriers plus what is in the magazine so I always have a minimum of 15 rifle rounds on me. I carry a pistol on my side, either a .40 or a 10mm depending on what I am hunting (bear or cougar I carry the 10). I have a camelbak for water, and I also use it to carry my knives, flashlights, rope, and other small essentials. Basically, if need be, I can survive if I have a problem. In this case, criminals that would force me to melt into the brush and seek deep cover/shelter.

After tensely watching them for around 10 minutes, they finish their business and start driving away. They slowed briefly once they saw my truck, then kicked up speed to get out of there.

I got down to my truck, checked it over for damage, loaded up and left. Amazing how a 5 minute or less difference could have placed me up front, close, and personal with the BG's. Yet, to this day, I still have people who know me question why I carry what I do with me when I go out.
    Last edited by SonofASniper; October 23rd, 2007 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Edit: I just realized that I failed to clarify in the OP that they had discharged a firearm. That was the small crack sound
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

VIP Member
    Glad you were ok.

Did you contact Fish and Wildlife, Park Rangers, or local LE? (Not that you would have seen anything of value given the distance of the poachers.)
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Great Situational Awareness... Always good to linger back and observe before lumbering into a bad situation.

Whenever I encounter people in the woods, I always try and remain unseen and quiet until I know what's going on.

While the woods of rural Missouri are not nearly as remote as up in the mountains and forrests of Oregon, like you, whenever I'm out hunting or in the sticks, I'm always prepared for rapid weather changes and an emergency bivouac as well as being appropriately armed with a pistol along with my hunting rifle.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Question

Did you check to see if they P'd on the tires? They may have just stopped for a break on their way out and you saw them basically doing nothing but being in the vicinity of your truck. You were there hunting maybe they were too, what evidence do you have that they were poaching? Now me I have a "VIPER" security system on mine with a 1 mile range, and had I been in your shoes would have been severely tempted to set off the alarm to see what happens next.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I don't hunt much any more, but when I did I was much the same. Always carried reloads for the long gun + a handgun w/ reload. You just never know what might happen out in the boonies.

Just watch the movie, Deliverance . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I hunt on private property - but prefer not to be out unarmed.

I have personally know a lot of poachers. They are probably not your worst enemy. From what I hear, bootleggers, pot growers, and mules (illegal alien haulers) are a far bigger threat. That said, I know the land I hunt on fairly well, and poachers are my mostly likely encounter.

I have a question...how do you know they are "poachers"? Define the term Poachers? Are we defining poaching as someone who takes a shot at night? Or because they were hunting without a license(which you couldn't verify from your position)? Or because they shot from within their vehicle? I'm just failing to see where the presumption of guilt came from in the posted incident.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

GREAT Spidey Senses!!!!
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Poaching is a general term which is defined as the illegal killing or taking of wildlife.

In Oregon, a person would not be convicted of "Poaching", but more a specific charge like taking of wildlife without a valid license, taking of wildlife during restricted hours, shining an artificial light from or near a vehicle while armed except the vehicles headlights, etc.

In this instance, yes they did commit several violations. 1.) they were shining an artifical light (flashlight) from and then near the vehicle while armed. 2.) I know they were armed because they discharged a firearm when the vehicle stopped. 3.) They discharged the firearm from the vehicle because no one had exited the vehicle prior to the discharging of the firearm, and the firearm was discharged promptly after the vehicle had stopped. 4.) They discharged a firearm on a public road.

Speculatively, it sounded like a .22, which would be an illegal caliber to take large game mammals with in Oregon. It is also a commonly used caliber by poachers out here because of the lack of noise. Irregardless, they committed several violations. The most likely probability is that they were "OPERTUNISTS", meaning that they have not been successful during legal hours and they saw a deer that fit the "legal description" of their tag after legal hunting hours and decided to fill the tag illegally.

No I did not go back to see if they took a piss. I am not interested in the bodily fluid evacauation habits of other humans other than those of my immediate family, and that is simply because I have to change diapers on an infant and I am potty training a toddler.

No I did not go back to investigate a kill site. While now looking back, I probably should have, at the time I did not believe they took enough time to gut the deer but rather recovered it, loaded up, and took off for their home which I suspect was probably in the nearby area. I figured that there was no sense searching out a gut pile that did not exist.

Yes, I am going to talk with the local game officer, whom I know, who has that area assignment. I was not in a rush to report last night because I am lacking enough descriptive information which would enable the game officer to make a conviction. However, knowing that there may be active poachers in that area he will be able to setup "scruffy", the decoy buck, in an attempt to capture the poachers.

While I have known poachers in my life who would not be my worst enemy, I still felt no need to take the chance. People do very funny things when they think no one is around watching. In this case there were two armed men, who were probably keyed up because they had just commited a crime. There is a high probably that alchohol was involved, another probability of meth or other illegal drugs given my prior knowledge of the area. Sorry, but I was not going to give up my advantages to either confront or attempt to get a better description. I may have resolved a long time ago not to knowing let human life be killed if I have the power to stop it, but I don't remember making that same resolution for an animal.

Edit: I just realized that I failed to clarify in the OP that they had discharged a firearm. That was the small crack sound.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Bummer you walked several miles to get your buck and there is was waiting for you by your truck sounds like my son!

Me if I was out for a night drive I would stop to shoot a varmint, i.e coyote, opossum, raccoon, or fox with anything I have at hand but a .22 would do, every one of them has taken a chicken or duck from my place at least once in the last couple of years, actually a .22 (rim fire) or a .17 (ditto) is the only thing that is legal in MI to shoot the coyote with. You really needed to have checked the area though to be sure.
    Sure they could have been poachers, or they could have been some drunks shooting at a sign. Still caution is the better part of valor.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Sponsored Links