Boy walking home

This is a discussion on Boy walking home within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gotta' go SHEEPDOG ! In fact, I might have taken my G. Shepherd & my Boxer/Pitbull mix with me for good company. Along with my ...

View Poll Results: So which are you....

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excellent bystander/witness

19 24.36%
  • Sheepdog???

59 75.64%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boy walking home

Gotta' go SHEEPDOG! In fact, I might have taken my G. Shepherd & my Boxer/Pitbull mix with me for good company. Along with my Social Shotgun, Pepper Spray, a favorite handgun (varies) and a digital camera. Right or Wrong, Wise or Foolish...I could NOT (and WILL not) stand-by & watch the helpless endure a vicious assault. I simply wasn't raised that way.

I just thank God I live in a place where those sorts of happenings are RARE. And where the culture & the law almost EXPECTS reasonable, rational, capable people to lend aid in the presence of predators. My willingness to kill the attackers might have honestly wavered, but my complete resolve to STOP them would have certainly put that lethal decision into the realm of real possibility. My prayers to the victim.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

2. Remove Ads

It's a no brainer...no pun intended. Seriously.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    No need to draw here unless they come after you.

The likelyhood is that the thugs will break off the attack and beat feet when they see you coming. Be prepared to get descriptions and plate #'s.

If they don't run they may be suffering from "there are 3 of us and 1 of you" syndrome. You may need to draw to run them off if they approach with weapons. Also be prepared to shoot if they draw on you.

Call 911 and give all revelent info to the operator ASAP. You may forget details while rendering aid to the victum.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

VIP Member
    What about warrior on leave or just watching

I didn't vote because I am not a sheepdog, but I wouldn't just watch a kid get beat to death either. (maybe a Golden Retriever?)
    Armed or not armed, it just isn't going to happen that way.

First step would be lighting up the attackers with the G2, and a loud strong command to stop. Most likely next step would be the scattering of the cockroaches. If they didn't scatter and took an aggressive stance towards me, (young thugs are getting more brazen these days) the presence of the Kimber would join another command to stop.

We're talking about an assault where, according to VA law, a real and immediate threat of death or gravely serious injury exists, and deadly force is justified.

Again, the next step is the likely scattering of the cockroaches. But if they still disregarded my order and continued with either an aggressive move towards me, or continuation of the assault on the victims, then I would have no other choice than to end the assault in the quickest way possible.

Regardless of how far it progressed, once all is secure, 911 would be called and aid would then be rendered. We're talking about a traumatic head/neck injury. Moving the victim in any way may worsen the injury. My limited first aid knowledge would not be sufficient except for treatment of shock.

Why did I leave the 911 call until the last step? Every nanosecond lost in stopping the attack may be the moment the lethal blow falls on the victim. My first priority would be halting that attack.

This is a situation that I could not simply observe. If I were to walk up on this in progress I would draw and order the guy with the tire iron to drop it. If he disengages and runs off fine. If he drops it and stays there, that works to. If he continues attacking his victim or moves aggressively towards me, I guess only one of us would be having breakfast with our family the next morning.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Here's my reply, issued prior to reading any other replies:

How on earth could someone stand by and "be a good witness" to something like a brutal beating, without being willing to intervene?

It is clear that a CCW licensee is justified in using deadly force in order to stop an attack that could reasonably cause grievous physical harm or death. I tire iron to the skull certainly qualifies -- particularly if the attack persisted.

I answered "sheepdog" -- as if you couldn't tell.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG E View Post
    If they don't run they may be suffering from "there are 3 of us and 1 of you" syndrome. You may need to draw to run them off if they approach with weapons. Also be prepared to shoot if they draw on you.
    I rather think that you should be prepared to shoot if they even approach you. Let's remember they've just been braining this kid! They're armed, and violent. I'm not waiting until I see a gun.

Very simple... Stop my car, draw and get sight picture, yell "drop the weapons or I will drop you". I am not a cop nor do I pretend to be. I don't have to follow a department-mandated force continuum and I am not there to provide "crisis intervention" and hold some deranged kids' hand through the process of surrender. They don't drop the weapon immediately after I tell them to, I'm not repeating myself and I will follow-through with my verbal challenge. I issued a clear, lawful command and if they deviate from it at all they've made their choice.

911 will come after the immediate situation is resolved. Police are a reactionary institution and I don't have time for my call to be prioritized, dispatched, wait for the unit to be en route, get on scene, then handle the situation -- it needs to be handled now. They can push their paperwork later after the boy gets proper medical attention.
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms; history shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected people to carry arms have prepared their own fall." Adolf Hitler

I answered Excellent bystander/witness due to the way I percieved the story as told by the article. The guy struck the other guy once. It says nothing of repeated blows, constant attack. The other kid ran away. If it was an ongoing attack I could see getting involved with the perpetrators and stopping them with deadly force if the situation didn't end after a call down.

I was assuming that the attack was a one hit type of deal. One kid went down, the other ran and the situation was over.

In other words, no need to further escalate the situation by ordering one of the juveniles down if the physical threat to the guy was over.
    "The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... The answer to criminal aggression is retaliation."-- Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC.

"We didn't fight our way all the way to the top of the food chain to become vegetarians."-- Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by HeadHunterII View Post
    I was assuming that the attack was a one hit type of deal. One kid went down, the other ran and the situation was over.

In other words, no need to further escalate the situation by ordering one of the juveniles down if the physical threat to the guy was over.
    Yeah, but if you're witnessing it, you don't know that the threat is over. For all you know, they'll continue to beat the kid to death. Just because the first hit took him down doesn't mean they're necessarily done.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAngel View Post
    Yeah, but if you're witnessing it, you don't know that the threat is over. For all you know, they'll continue to beat the kid to death. Just because the first hit took him down doesn't mean they're necessarily done.

There is more to it than that. Are the guys walking away, did they run after the attack? Are they standing over the kid waiting for him to get up? There isn't enough information in the article to correctly judge what should have been done.
    "The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... The answer to criminal aggression is retaliation."-- Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC.

"We didn't fight our way all the way to the top of the food chain to become vegetarians."-- Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by HeadHunterII View Post
    There is more to it than that. Are the guys walking away, did they run after the attack? Are they standing over the kid waiting for him to get up? There isn't enough information in the article to correctly judge what should have been done.
    How much information is needed? The instant the two fecal maggots made the choice to crush a human beings skull with a tire iron they forfeited all of their air sucking privileges.
    If he was on the down stroke it would just be bang bang, not a word spoken. If not, like I said before, he would have all the time it takes for me to take up the slack on my XD to comply with the drop it order. That may sound harsh but in the long run it would be the kindest gentlest most merciful thing that could be done for them, their mother, father, brothers sisters grandparents and all others associated with them is to have the wastes of skin stop using up valuable air. To do otherwise is to heap great misery upon suffering for all those concerned, especially for all of their future victims.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

No further news on the kid who was hospitalized, other than he's stable.

Though, tonight there has been yet another attempted murder, just a couple/three miles south of where this one occurred. Apparently, tonight's was between rival gangs, with degenerate, wannabe murderers spraying bullets at each other.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links