Intruder at Night

This is a discussion on Intruder at Night within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; #1 for me. I was leaning a little towards number two, but we can check his ID when they put him in the body bag....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Intruder at Night

#1 for me. I was leaning a little towards number two, but we can check his ID when they put him in the body bag.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

2. Remove Ads

Some of us live in states like Commiefornia so we have to bark some loud commands right before we shoot.
    Lex et Libertas ó Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Simple answer...

Three #1...2-CM/1-H...No questions asked!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I will always positively identify my target before firing. I have heard too many stories of relatives coming in late as a surprise, or friends pulling pranks late at night, etc. I will not fire on someone unless I have them illuminated and know they truly don't belong there.

If they're in my house after hours they're uninvited and don't belong. If I don't hear them screaming in agony from the pitbull ripping off limbs my assumption is that they did away with the dog and all bets are off. #1 - bang bang bang...no questions asked..

All of my family/friends know better than to randomly show up in my home in the middle of the night without further warning (ie phone, cell phone, door bell, knocking yelling screaming etc...). Other than family and friends (which I don't have to worry about), no one else belongs. Everyone belongs in one of 3 groups when found in my home in the middle of the night: Family, Friend, or Foe. You wont be in my home unannounced if you're in groups 1 or 2, that means anyone else is in group 3.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Should I pull my dogs off of the intruder first?

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    Should I pull my dogs off of the intruder first?
    Well there went ANOTHER key board...

My friends/family know I a WELL armed and know to give me the heads up.

My GF failed to inform me that a friend was coming over early in the morning. I woke to a loud sound that sounded to me like someone kicking in the door....then I hear the tone of the alarm keypad (from the door being opened/closed). I keep my Kimber and 2 spare mags under the edge of my bed. As I am rolling off the bed to take cover and aquire my trusted Kimber, my GF yells "its (friends name)"

I WAS LIVID........and they found out how serious I am about the safety of my household.

This incident did make me feel better in one way tho....
    I sleep like a rock. I can sleep through just about anything.
    BUT.... I heard noises that were out of place and it woke me up in a hurry!!!!
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

Member Array Angel in San Antonio's Avatar
    Blam,Blam,Blam,.......stop or i'll shoot.

i guess #1

At that time it could be one of the girls doing the raid the fridge thing, if the dog isn't displayng ferocity its the girls, if the dog is in full protection mode..klick pow..

I am a night crawler. Its the daytime that worries me.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Missouri is now Castle Doctrine so I suppose #1 in most situations would be justified. However;

I am not pre-programed to just fire automatically.

There may be situations where I would be compelled to choose #1, but most often I'm thinking more along the lines of choosing #2, for a variety of reasons.

A) (and not the least of which) I am not blood thirsty looking for the first opportunity to legally shoot someone.

B) I am trained in, and fairly proficient in, close quarters combat (armed & unarmed), weapon retention & disarming techniques and handling armed subjects so I feel a bit more confident in my tactical skills than someone like my wife or many other folks.

C) I like to be able to make a positive ID on someone before I shoot, using the element of surprise and a blinding tactical light like my Surefire or my Glock mounted Insight M3. (for some reason Mr. Murphy likes to ride shotgun in my ride and I don't like the sickening thought of accidentally shooting any friendlies, no matter how remote the chance.)

D) I like the idea of if I do have to shoot him, I like the idea of it being in the front with him facing me as opposed to being shot in the back. (yeah, I know... shooting in the back can at times be effectively explained and defendable in court... but again, Murphy likes being my co-pilot, and why go down that road, if I don't need to!)

Now, in the original post, I see the Intruder and he hasn't seen me... So, before I illuminate him and give a commanding verbal challenge... I am going to take up a position of tactical advantage with a wall against my back so I can't be out flanked by a commrade of his and observe him for a second to get my bearings and see what's what!

If, while his back was to me, I could obviously see a weapon in his hand... I would absolutely open fire without hesitation and without a warning.

Other than that, I would probably challenge him to freeze and shoot if he failed to obey commands. Then order him to the ground, and again shoot if he failed to obey commands.

Now my wife on the other hand... Will not engage in conversation and if she is home alone and finds an intruder in the house, she will shoot without warning! Her situation and circumstances are totally different than mine.

The main caveat as in all situations... I play it as I see it! Nothing is set in stone and all those types of encounters are very fluid in nature.

The Castle Doctrine law in Missouri is unchallenged in court so far and as far as I'm concerned, it is only a minor safety stop for the citizens. (looks good in theory, but in practice... has yet to be proven out!) To me, it still is not a license to blast away without the possibility of some consequences I may not have thought of yet. And I certainly don't want to be a "test case!"

JMHO... YMMV
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

IIRC, there's a chapter in Ayoob's "In the Gravest Extreme" that deals with this situation. Might be worth a run to the bookstore for a read.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

First of all, you should have done a bed check before going any further into the kitchen, living room, etc. Once I have made sure that everyone is in place, then you can pretty much be assured the person in the kitchen is a threat. Nothing was said about having a light and illuminating the potential threat up before engaging with gunfire. Identifying your threat has to be #1 because you donít want to shoot a loved one or friend!!!

If they start to turn on me, then I would probably shoot because I have to assume they are armed. Of course, I would attempt to use verbal commands first, but hey, if they turned suddenly or against my command, I would do what I have to and not feel bad about it later!
    Brian K. LaMaster
    President, Innovative Tactical Concepts, LLC
    Instructor, Counter Force International
    http://www.right2defend.com
    http://www.modernwarriortalk.com

lotta "what ifs"..would have to depend on the moment if I shoot or not..don't think I would shoot him/her in the back tho until I was SURE he/she was armed.

IF I can see the intruders hands and IF nothing is in his hands that could be used as a weapon than I MAY gave a verbal command to lay prone. Any hesitation on the intruder's part would result in lead poisoning.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links