A Situation last night

A Situation last night

This is a discussion on A Situation last night within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was on my way into Kroger and standing in the middle of the entrance to the parking lot were a college girl and an ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Situation last night

A Situation last night

I was on my way into Kroger and standing in the middle of the entrance to the parking lot were a college girl and an older man. I didn't think much of it I just went around them but when I got out of the car I heard the man yelling at the girl arguing about something. I tinkered with my keys for a couple of seconds while examining both of them. The man looked to be a homeless person while the girl looked to be an attractive college student. She looked scared. I caught part of the conversation and the man said, "I hate people like you." This kind of fueled the homeless guy profile of a beggar that didn't receive any money or sympathy from the girl.

I kept my eye out a couple of minutes longer but he started staring at me. It was night and there were 2 or 3 other people in the parking lot. I wanted to go over and ask the girl if there was a problem with this man bothering her but my gut told me to avoid the confrontation since I was carrying. As a college student I look young and didn't want to escalate the situation by adding my opinion which may be construed as trying to impress a girl.

So I went into Kroger, bought my stuff intending to check to see if they were still there when I got out. They weren't there and now I feel guilty that I made the wrong choice. I really hope he didn't hurt her or make her feel afraid for her life.

So what would you have done?

If given a second chance I would have walked over but would I have been in the right? I wouldn't want to have to draw on an unarmed man if he started to get violent or aggressive because I was standing up for her.

The consensus I have gathered about conceal and carrying is not to look for trouble but this is a grey area for me. I wasn't a 100% sure what they were talking about or if she was threatened. Is having to think about protecting others(I mean when you are not sure about the threat level) the wrong way to think when carrying?

Oh yeah I'm new. Hi.
    Last edited by JumpJump; October 26th, 2007 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!!

Monday Morning Quarterbacking yourself is always good. It keeps you in league for the next time something happens. Most here will tell you to never interject yourself into a situation you're not apart of. I tend to agree in the vast majority of circumstances. However, there is nothing wrong with hanging around and making sure someone else leaves safely. Sometimes, just being seen by the argivated person and their knowledge that a 3rd party is aware of whats going on will help de-escalate.

There is a lot of discussion around these boards about whether or not you carry to protect 'me and my own' or whether you'd be willing to jump in for some stranger. It's a very difficult decision and often enough will have to be made in the heat of the moment when ticking seconds count.

Myself, I would have hung around the lot. Not really close to the argument, but close enough that something could have been done. My reasons are rather unique, though, so I'll let some others chime in.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    The man looked to be a homeless person while the girl looked to be an attractive college student.
    Well the way i dress i would appear a homeless old phart too lol . IMHO you did just right . You noted the problem , and went on about your business . Sometimes it is hard to realise that a ccw ticket is not a cop ticket , and imparts no duty or obligation to become involved in others discussions .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I gotta agree with 6B. I've been known to hang around and watch whats going on both before and after CCW. It gives you the benefit of thinking before hand IF THIS: THEN THIS.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Thanks for the replies it makes me feel better about it. My major right now is Police Studies so one day soon I'll be a cop of some sort.

I would have sat in my car waiting until the matter was setted, just in case.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I would have notified the store manager and let them know they had a panhandler verbally attacking/harassing people outside their door. Put it back on the store to do something about it....if you've got the time, hang out in your car for a little but and see, but have your cell phone at the ready.

My 2 cents...without being there
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I have a daughter in college, I'd be thinking that could be my daughter. I would have to hang around just in case. Maybe It's my father instinct.
    The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding cititzens should also have guns.Otherwise they will win and the decent people will loss.''
    -James Earl Jones.

I would have no problem with hanging around. Your permit does not make you a cop, but it should make you more cognizant of your surroundings...thus, I would wait around to see if I needed to call 911.

...and, welcome to the forum!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    Contact store employee and find out if they have security/cameras. Stick around and let the homeless guy see I was waiting around and watching. Having a CCW doesn't make you responsible for others, but looking the other way isn't being a good citizen.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

JJ,

Welcome to the forum from FL's Space Coast.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    You made the right choice by not intervening. You didn't know the circumstances, and your first guess at who these people were was just that - a guess.

It sounds to me like a perfect moment to "have to call somebody", pull out your cell phone, and move next to the door, while keeping an eye on them.

Your instincts were good in this case, I think. It just might have been good to hang around for another few seconds to see what unfolded.

oh, and welcome to the forum
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Ditto what SixBravo and BobTheGreat said. Hang around, pretend to be talking on cell while observing. Don't act unless situation excalates or the beggar approaches you.

I agree. I think I would have been distant but available. (2 daughters of my own) Being that the both of you are college students, I would be interested in the response to your question from the ladies in the womens studies dept. at your school.

Quote Originally Posted by gunflint View Post
    I agree. I think I would have been distant but available. (2 daughters of my own) Being that the both of you are college students, I would be interested in the response to your question from the ladies in the womens studies dept. at your school.
    Thats funny that you should mention women's studies, I'm taking a women's studies class right now(requirement) and man it's boring as heck. Maybe I'll ask them about it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links