In House CCW

This is a discussion on In House CCW within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes. The underlying reason is home security. The real reason, I am just lazy to put it on and off in between trips. Usually, I ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: In House CCW

Yes. The underlying reason is home security. The real reason, I am just lazy to put it on and off in between trips. Usually, I come home, watch some tv, get something to eat, check my emails, then I am on the road again to go study (either to a cafe or a library). I really take it off right before I go to sleep.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Yup...packin all the time...home is just another place I carry,but have more firepower available there..

We have a couple of large "early warning" canines and guns strategically placed throughout the house - handguns in touch pad safes and a 12 gauge at the ready. Without the dogs, I might consider carrying in the house on a regular basis as things are not getting any safer here in Florida.

At home

I usually take off my primary CCW at home and leave it accessable around the house. I have no kids. I keep my BUG in my back pocket for around the house. I have some other stuff accessable in the bedroom, and other stuff loaded in safes and such that require me to get keys. My girlfriend is sitting here and she says it makes her feel safer.

My wife's iffy on the subject.......she rides the fence somewhere between "your being paranoid" and "you know what your doing and I know your safe with it".

I don't carry around the house all the time but a loaded weapon is accessable while I'm not carrying.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Senior Moderator
    To answer the original question... sometimes I carry at home.

Currently, I'm sitting on the couch, no gun ON me, but the Wilson, three spare magazines and three knives are sitting on the coffee table less than two feet from me.

Usually I carry at home when I've just come back from somewhere else and haven't taken off my gun yet. Most of the time I don't even notice it until my husband (yes, I'm a girl) snuggles up next to me and asks me to take it off so we can get closer.

That being said, obviously I (as the wife) have no problem with my husband carrying in the house if he wants to.

In fact, I think it's cute.. which is why I snapped this picture while he was making dinner...

Right now we don't carry in the house all the time because we always have guns pretty close. I think that will change if/when we have kids. We'll probably be a little more dedicated to keeping them "on body" so that they can't be picked up, played with and manipulated by curious little fingers.

If people are coming over that we don't know that well, they go on body, if it's a friend we've known for awhile and is also a "gun guy" then we'll just leave then sitting around.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    She now carries most of the time she leaves the house, except if I'm with her...but I'm working on getting her to carry WITH me...two guns are better than one. I also am working on both of us taking a 'working as a team' class...somewhere! You can never be too safe.
    JD and I are looking into that kind of training as well.

Yes, while two guns is better than no guns or only one gun, two gun-handlers who have never worked together and are suddenly trying to manipulate a 360 degree range of fire, under stress, in the middle of live fire, can be a disaster.

Since JD has been in combat and worked extensively in teams in the Marines, he's been the "team leader" responsible for calling shots, coordinating, and taking charge. I listen to him, do exactly what he says, exactly when he says it and cover his back.

The place we went to for our general defensive handgun class also has a "team" type class and the instructor said that quite a few husband/wife teams have signed up for it in the past.

We like to train together... It's good "bonding" time!

Thank you for your insight, Limatunes. I have children and they have been trained on what to do if the find a real gun (or aren't sure if it's real) and they help me clean my weapons after the range. I'm not concerned about them getting hold of any of my weapons. However, it's a different story when their frinds come over to play. I obviously can't have unsecured weapons laying around. I have an awesome gun safe, but it's not always within arm's reach and takes a bit too long to open. ;)

My wife seems to be accepting the fact that I am carrying in the house better, but she doesn't like it because it reminds her of the outside world. She witnessed a murder in someone's house when she was little, so the thought of violence in her house upsets her a lot.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I had a gentlman I ran into at a training session who described his attack in his home, and it was also featured on Crime Strike TV, he showed us the show it was pretty frightening.

He also asked me if I carried a gun. I then described to him my carry method. coming home taking the gun off putting it in the bedroom. He said something that has kind of stuck with me.

I guess your not really serious about your protection if your not carrying in your home, and all the time on your person.

He had just got off of work (this occured in IOWA)
    When He came hope he usually takes his gun off and takes it up stairs for some reason he did not.
    He was making dinner, when bullets started coming in from the side door.
    He pulled his gun and hid behind the Refridgerator. When the door came open he was in gun fire exchange. He managed to hit who ever it was and the guy went stumbling out the backdoor, he managed to get back in his car and drive off.

Backround: The guy who attacked him was a former Highschool classmate of the gentlemans wife. When I met this guy he was in his late 30's early 40s. This attack occured in the mid 1990's because the guy who attacked him was later arrested and sentanced to death. The guy died before he was put to death due to a extreme Blunt force trauma incurred by the other gentlemans bullet. Thats right the guy had a bullet proof vest on when he started just firing at the guy through the door. He had hit this guy centermass which had knocked the wind out of him.

The BG had murdered I think it was 4-6 people before he made it to this guys house. He had infact wiped out an entire family including the dog, because he thought he should have married that girl from highschool. He was attacking this guy for the same reason. He thought he should have married his wife.

You just never know who's gonna come after you for what reason, or somebody who has held a grudge against you, your wife that took place over 10 years ago.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

My wife and I have no kids so there are several guns strategically placed throughout the house. Several full magazines as well. Occasionally I carry around the house but more often than not I am carrying in the house to test a new rig or something like that.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

same here..guns available, not in site, but available..those are then locked up in the safe when we leave the house, except for the two that hitch a ride on my person...and so it goes...

Well, due to the fact that I carry in a pocket holster, and I carry a S&W442, I carry while at the house. Once the gun moves from the night stand and into my pants pocket, it is just a situation in that it is always on me until I go to bed.

My wife doesn't mind my carry, as in Limas house, we both carry. She takes her gun off once she gets into the house, but it is because once she gets to the house, she has to be in gym shorts or flannel pants, neither of which are good holster carriers...
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

You ask- Does anyone carry while in their house?
    I do.
    You ask- Does your wife know or care?
    She knows. Doesn't bother her.
    You ask- Why do YOU do it?
    We have a home invasion or burglary somewhere close by here just about every two days. Link to yesterdays here-
    http://www.unionleader.com/article.a...0-a0b9e36149fc
    You say -Thanks! You're welcome!
    Last edited by bones; October 29th, 2007 at 07:01 PM. Reason: spelling error
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

at my apartment, not always because there is only one apartment, mine, and you can hear someone coming up the stairs from a mile away and my apartment is small. that and i am almost always in my room by my gun.
    at 'home', yes generally i do.
    what does the wife think? well that would be me andif i didnt like the idea i wouldnt do it!

Yes

Right now, I'm wearing my Glock 23 and have my P3AT in my weak side pocket. My wife used to make a comment every now and then, but after two neighborhood break-ins this year, and a Meth Lab bust, she keeps her .38 in the arm of her couch. I bought a used, Police style holster and mounted it on my mower to hold my S&W 686. Having said all of that, if time permits, if a need arises, I'll retrieve my Rem. 870. Come to think of it, my 870 patterns about the same as my handgun targets looked today. Considering as bad as I was shooting today, I might need to consider a gun rack for the mower instead of a holster.

Always do since you never know when you might need it.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links