In House CCW - Page 4

In House CCW

This is a discussion on In House CCW within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Open carry when at home. No CCW at home, unless guests are coming over....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: In House CCW

Open carry when at home. No CCW at home, unless guests are coming over.

This is an exceptional thread. Really good question, and some good answers.

For me- I typically do not carry inside my house. My thought is that my gun (& others) are close by if I need 'em. After reading 5 pages, I believe I should rethink that and have it on more.

As far as my wife goes- It has been an evolution. She was uncomfortable with me carrying because she didnt want me to be "made" later she got used to the idea. Last week we were walking into some shop, and she wispered "Are you carrying?" my response "Ofcourse" with a smile. She smiled and said "Good." I dont know why she asked, never followed up with her. But she is aware of how crazy things are and she likes me packing. I wish she would.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Depends

Most days I put it on when getting dressed for work or weekend. I usually don't take it off until the end of day when I get ready for bed. On some days like weekends or days off, if I am going to be mowing the yard or working on the car, I might not wear one while doing that, simply because at times it isn't practical.

If I am wearing IWB I don't worry about if people come over, I just leave it on. If I am wearing OWB, I will usually take it off with the holster and place it on top of the fridge while someone is over at the house.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I didn't used to, but I do now. As others have said, the horrific tragedy in Cheshire happened in a blink, and there isn't time to open a safe. I live about 50 miles from Cheshire, in a similar quiet, sleepy community. The driveway is 300' long, surrounded by trees, no streetlights. Make might a nice attractive target to the zombies when compared to the rest of the houses nearby that are visible from the street and each other.

We do have 2 large German Shepherds, my XD is on my hip as I type this, and an 870 12 ga (for me) and an 1100 20 ga (for the wife) is in the safe. Both are loaded and ready to go.

My wife was initially against guns in the house while we had young kids in the house. They are now grown, and Cheshire really opened her eyes to what a scary world it can be, even in a quiet, peaceful New England small town.

She is in the process of getting her permit, and she will then be carrying a S&W 649 Bodyguard in a Smartcarry.

Nope, I'll let the dogs welcome our univited guests while I go a few feet to get the 230gr or 00 party favors for them.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

For those that open carry at home, what about visitors to the door (mailman, UPS, etc.)? Do you cover up or go open?

I want a gun within arms reach 24/7/365. The easiest way to accomplish that is to carry 24/7/365 - which is what I do.

My wife didn't know I was carrying for almost two years. One day she asked where I kept my gun in case she ever needed it. I told her it would be difficult for her to get to it since I'm always carrying it. She was surprised, but happily so. At this point I'm glad she can't get at it. She has never shot it, never even been to the range with me. I'm afraid she'd add to the danger rather than be a deterrent.

My main safety concerns for my lifestyle, neighborhood, places I frequent, and common situations, etc. are in order of concern; home invasion, ATM, gas station, parking lots, road rage, and the like. So I wanted a gun and carry method for close defense that I could reach any time I needed it and use proficiently under any lighting situation, and most any body position.

When I answer the door I unholster the gun and hold it in my hand in my pocket as I answer the door.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

When at home, I usually OC.

AMH
    I carry at home about 90% of the time. I am wearing my .45 as I type. Sometimes I like to be lazy and wear pajamas, which doesnít really support a weapon. Either way there are loaded weapons strategically placed around the home. No matter where I am I can gain access to a weapon in a split second.

It seems (from this thread anyways) that the biggest thing most people fear is being surprised. And donít get me wrong, I fear the same thing, hence my strategic placing of weapons throughout the house.

But you can be surprised any time and at any place. What do you do if someone bear hugs you and you cant draw? What do you do if someone suddenly shoves a gun in your back while you are standing at an ATM? What do you do if someone breaks in and jumps you while youíre naked in the shower?

It seems to me that most people in this thread are too reliant on a weapon. Now donít get me wrong, it is a rare occasion that I am not packing, but I am not reliant on it. My primary weapon is my body; anything else is just an extension. I have studied martial arts on and off for years. I currently train about 6 hours a week and half that time is in a ring actually fighting.

I also carry a gun, just in case.

Even if I do get caught off guard for a moment, I am very confident that I can handle most people. This is the true essence of self-defense.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Home Invasion is becomming a big thing around Memphis. IF I have my pants on I'm carring. If I'm setting in my recliner, my Sig P239 40 is laying on a small table next to my chair.

My wife knows and cares, she wants to know it's there. She carries also, even my 85 year old mother knows it's there.......

God I love the south.....
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

VIP Member
    Yes I do carry in the house and my wife HATES it!
    I try to keep concealed but every time she accidentally touches my SIG I get a huge sigh.

I do it because when seconds count, the Police are only minutes away!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

pax
    Does anyone carry while in their house? Does your wife know or care? Why do YOU do it? Thanks!
    I do.

My husband thinks I'm a little strange, but doesn't care much either way. I guess you could say he just doesn't "get it" but is willing to let me have my little foibles.

WHY do I carry at home? Well. It was because we had small kids that I started carrying the gun at home. Not in spite of them, but because of them.

The full story is at www.corneredcat.com/Social/home.aspx -- but the short version is simply that with five very active little boys, I never knew what the little darlings might be up to in the next room, but I knew they weren't getting into the gun that was on my hip.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Perhaps many on this site will deem it as ignorance, but I don't think carrying a gun 24/7 is completely necessary.

With that being said, I have 3 pistols. One for the car, one for the bedroom, and one in the living area.

There's a lot to be said for "passive security." I have locked storm windows on top of normal locked double pane windows (old house). I have 2 entry points to the outside, one requires taking out 2 deadbolted doors one-after-another, and the other one has a solid door with a LONG deadbolt reinforced by metal plates screwed 3 inches into the wall stud. The position of the deadbolt also eliminates the possibility of getting a good kick at it. I seriously think it'd take an entry shotgun to get that door open.

Point is.. If someone were breaking in, I'd easily notice could get to my guns quicker than they could get to me. Other than that, I don't think carrying is necessary in the house per-se, that just screams paranoia to me.

Yeppers, anymore it is another article of clothing I wear. Funny thing, I ask her last evening if she was comfortable with me carrying, she stated she doesn't even think about it. LOL, I keep three guns at home, all within easy reach of me and her.

Quote Originally Posted by senseiturtle View Post
    Perhaps many on this site will deem it as ignorance, but I don't think carrying a gun 24/7 is completely necessary.

With that being said, I have 3 pistols. One for the car, one for the bedroom, and one in the living area.

There's a lot to be said for "passive security." I have locked storm windows on top of normal locked double pane windows (old house). I have 2 entry points to the outside, one requires taking out 2 deadbolted doors one-after-another, and the other one has a solid door with a LONG deadbolt reinforced by metal plates screwed 3 inches into the wall stud. The position of the deadbolt also eliminates the possibility of getting a good kick at it. I seriously think it'd take an entry shotgun to get that door open.

Point is.. If someone were breaking in, I'd easily notice could get to my guns quicker than they could get to me. Other than that, I don't think carrying is necessary in the house per-se, that just screams paranoia to me.
    On the other hand, one could say having all the deadbolts and reinforced plates just might scream paranoia.

My feeling is that the odds that you will need a gun ANYWHERE are fairly slim. After all, I have attained the age of 55 without ever pulling a gun on anyone. If the odds weren't slim, I don't think I would ever leave my house or even get out of bed. . . . and if I did, I would carry my AK-47 instead of a pistol.

But even though I don't believe I will be attacked anytime soon, the facts show that SOMEONE is attacked every few minutes throughout the country.

So, preparing to be that kind of "lottery winner" doesn't sound paranoid to me.

I carry 24/7. I don't think I need to, but I would rather have it handy and not need it than need it REAL BAD and not have it.

I have locks on the doors, smoke detectors, fire extinquishers, and firearms. Call me paranoid, I can live with that.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links