In House CCW

This is a discussion on In House CCW within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone carry while in their house? Does your wife know or care? Why do YOU do it? Thanks!...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 70

Thread: In House CCW

  1. #1
    Member Array Don G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    25

    Question In House CCW

    Does anyone carry while in their house? Does your wife know or care? Why do YOU do it? Thanks!

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,165
    Yes, because things can turn on a dime and not allow time to crack open a safe. Home invasion. Police chasing an armed suspect who chooses to go down "swinging." Both of these have happened with 250yds of my home in the past month, as if any proof were needed to know what can happen.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  4. #3
    Member Array Airedale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    456
    Yup-sure do. ccw9 nailed it.
    Dave

  5. #4
    Member Array Don G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    25
    What do your wives think about this? Do they support or does it make them feel unsafe in their own homes?

  6. #5
    Member Array 7mm Gumbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Posts
    183
    Why would my wife feel "unsafe" with me carrying anywhere? Violent home invasions happen in the blink of an eye and there may not be time to get to the safe and "gun up". We also have a securtiy system that is several layers deep that does not seem to make us feel unsafe.

  7. #6
    VIP Member Array grady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Near St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    2,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Don G. View Post
    Does anyone carry while in their house?
    24/7, except when I'm in the shower or in bed... and then it's only a step or reach away. Always.

    Quote Originally Posted by Don G. View Post
    Does your wife know or care?
    I carried around the house for 2 months before she noticed. I didn't tell her because I figured she'd go ballistic, and I didn't want another argument. One night we were sitting on the couch watching a movie, and she reached out to hold me and felt it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Don G. View Post
    Why do YOU do it? Thanks!
    The first indication we get of a home invasion is when the door gets kicked in. Then it's WAAAAAY too late to go get a gun.

    Another answer for the same question: Cheshire, CT. That was a much nicer neighborhood than mine. That's not the way I want my family to go out. If you're not familiar with this, check it out. Then you can pass the info to your wife if she objects to you carrying, and you can ask her if that's how she wants her and your kids to die.


    Quote Originally Posted by Don G. View Post
    What do your wives think about this? Do they support or does it make them feel unsafe in their own homes?
    When she found out, I told her it was to protect her and our daughter, and I was going to do it from now on... and that I didn't need her permission to protect her. I was quite forceful in my statements. Surprisingly, it increased her respect for me. I've even seen her smile after she reached for and felt it as we are headed out somewhere. It's comforting for her because she knows I'll use it if needed to protect her and our daughter.

    I would do it even if she threw a hissy-fit every day, but her added respect is a bonus. Besides, it's great practice to carry concealed at the house. I keep it out of sight so it's not an in-her-face thing, so when she's in a crabby mood, it doesn't trigger an argument. But she knows it's always there.

    My family, my protection, my decision. Same for you. If my wife gave me an ultimatum over it, I still wouldn't quit carrying regardless of any and all threats. It's my decision alone as to whether and how I'll protect my family, and I've made that decision... for life.

  8. #7
    Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Slidell, LA
    Posts
    1,688
    yep, but not 100%, though I probably should. My roomates know (kinda hard to miss a black pistol worn OWB with a spare mag, and don't have a problem with it. If they did, I'd probably switch to CC.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

  9. #8
    Member Array 2AMomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    236
    I don't mind it at all. In fact it makes me feel better, since I am unable to carry for at least another year (7 weeks from having our latest son!). I prefer that he carry everywhere we go...
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."


    "SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

  10. #9
    Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Slidell, LA
    Posts
    1,688
    Quote Originally Posted by 2AMomma View Post
    I don't mind it at all. In fact it makes me feel better, since I am unable to carry for at least another year (7 weeks from having our latest son!). I prefer that he carry everywhere we go...
    Just out of curiosity, why does that preclude you carrying?
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array Cupcake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,164
    Usually. Can you say "Home Invasion?" By the time you realize someone is even at the door, they can be inside with a gun in your face, dragging your wife or daughter to the bedroom for hours or days of torture and rape. Or they might do it in front of you after they beat the crap out of you in front of your family.

    I don't care what neighborhood you live in, there is a scumbag that will glad take everything you've got, including your family. Just ask the doctor from Connecticut whose wife and 2 girls, 11 and 17, were raped and burned to death after he was beaten and tied up. I don't even think these scumbags had a gun, they just overpowered him. But hey, he lived in a good neighborhood.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

    Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

  12. #11
    Member Array Don G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    25
    My problem is that my wife now thinks she is not "safe" whenever I am away from home (i.e., she's alone at home with our children). But she refuses to carry because she doesn't want to bring the "outside world" into our home. She expects bad things to happen outside of our house and does not mind me carrying when we go out. However, she finds it upsetting to think anything bad could happen at our house because we live in a very nice and quiet neighborhood.

  13. #12
    VIP Member Array Cupcake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,164
    Here is a link to just one story about the crime a mentioned. Let her read this. Once again, Prominent Doctor, Great low-crime neighborhood. There are many others out there and I imagine with a little googling you can find many more. I'm afraid that you don't have to bring the world into your home. They will let themselves in.

    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...r=HOME_3095614
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

    Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

  14. #13
    VIP Member Array grady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Near St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    2,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Don G. View Post
    My problem is that my wife now thinks she is not "safe" whenever I am away from home
    I think she's right.

    Quote Originally Posted by Don G. View Post
    But she refuses to carry because she doesn't want to bring the "outside world" into our home.
    Is she willing to use a gun that is kept in a gun safe? If not... you can make the home defense tools available to her, but you can't force her to use them. As I told my wife, if something happens to her because she's unwilling to use what I've provided for her, the blame/responsibility is all on her.

    Quote Originally Posted by Don G. View Post
    However, she finds it upsetting to think anything bad could happen at our house because we live in a very nice and quiet neighborhood.
    It's upsetting to me, too, but it's reality. Is your wife aware of the grisly details of the home invasion/rapes/murders in Cheshire? That was a VERY nice and quiet neighborhood. Either she is unaware, or willfully choosing to ignore reality.

    My wife doesn't want anything to do with guns either. That's why I bought my 15-year-old daughter a Ruger SP-101 .357 with a Crimson Trace laser last month, and trained her how to use it.

    All we can do is all we can do. The rest is up to them.

  15. #14
    Senior Member Array dunndw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    1,123
    I wake up in the morning, strap on a 1911 and don't take it off until bedtime.
    My wife doesn't mind at all
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

  16. #15
    Member Array nikdfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Person Co. NC
    Posts
    143
    I carry most every waking hour now that I am retired ... that way there is no decision to make about when/where/whether to carry, its a given (and with HR 218, state lines are no longer a consideration). The wife has never made any comment about it ...

    Nick

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. In the dog house again
    By gbball98 in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: April 20th, 2010, 10:36 AM
  2. OC at my house
    By tangoseal in forum Open Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: February 4th, 2010, 10:45 AM
  3. Iowa National Guard to practice house to house gun searches!! (MERGED)
    By bps3040 in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: March 11th, 2009, 04:04 PM
  4. No, not in my house.
    By farronwolf in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: January 25th, 2009, 08:47 AM
  5. The House Gun
    By Drice00 in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: March 18th, 2007, 02:10 AM