Angry customer at Wendy's

This is a discussion on Angry customer at Wendy's within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The other night my wife and youngest son were sitting in a Wendy's eating dinner. I was not carrying as we were going to be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Angry customer at Wendy's

The other night my wife and youngest son were sitting in a Wendy's eating dinner. I was not carrying as we were going to be visiting my son's school immediately afterwards.

About halfway through our meal I overheard loud voices at the counter. I couldn't make out all the words but a male customer was accusing the cashier of ripping him off $10. The customer walked out the door and into the parking lot out of sight.

Of all the approximately 10-12 customers in the store only myself, another man waiting at the counter and possibly a woman seated over a wall next to us seemed to go on alert and watched for the man to re-enter the restaurant, which he never did. I also did not hear any actual threats verbalized during the argument.

We continued eating and later into the meal as the woman next to us was leaving I overheard her telling her young son what to do if someone entered with a gun (get under table, etc.). My wife and son and I had the same conversation, but it was clear the other woman had appraised the situation as possibly threatening (maybe a fellow CCW'er? It looked like she had a fanny pack on).

Anyway, nothing happened but I was wondering what would be the threshold for taking your family and getting out of dodge? Shouted threats, customer re-entering the store, or display of weapon (little late there).

Looking back maybe I should have gone to the window and made sure he drove away and not retrieved a weapon. But given no threats were made, it might have been over-reacting.

Comments, anyone?

Administrator
    I'm not going to pack up and leave over something like that... If I did I dont think I would have ever finished a hamburger in a fastfood joint. Would I pay a little more attention? You betcha.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Given the level of customer service at many fast food places, the frustration at the lack of English capabilities with the employees and also the general decrease in civility of the public at large a bit of shouting at a fast food joint is not uncommmon.

If real threats (violent ones, not "reporting" ones) were yelled or the same person came back in still looking hostile I would leave. No matter what I would up my alertness a touch and watch for the individual in question to do anything, as I always do when I see a situation with emotions running high in my vicinity.

My situational awareness would certinly jump up a notch......leave, nah.

Now if the "threat" escalates from there......bye bye.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    This is a perfect example of why you don't sit with your back to the door. The "safest" thing to do would be leave. But I don't want to retreat anytime I am simply "uncomfortable". I'd say your reaction was reasonable. You raised your alert level a notch. But if I saw him walking back to the door with anything in his hands besides a Frosty, I would pack it up.

Senior Moderator
    Its Wendy's man...

They hire the stupidest people that they can possibly find to operate the business.

Where I am located, it is a major challenge for them to get my order right.
    99 times out of 100 it will be screwed up and sometimes I honestly believe that they cant get an order right because they are either mentally challenged, or the schools that they go to teach them how to intentionally screw up a simple order.

If I read in the paper that some deranged person went in there and shot the place up, it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

For that reason alone, I will not enter a Wendy's if I am not armed. The way they do business in this area, the odds are against them, its just a matter of time...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Its Wendy's man...

They hire the stupidest people that they can possibly find to operate the business.
    Hey! I work at Wendy's. Just kidding...

Where I am located, it is a major challenge for them to get my order right. 99 times out of 100 it will be screwed up
    Yet you still patronize that business? Why? Are the screwed up orders still tasty to you?

My suggestion: Buy some 80% lean ground beef - form 1/3 lb patty- cook 3 minutes/side over medium heat. Cheese when you turn it. Put it on a bun...

It will be screwed up 0 times out of 100.

Senior Moderator
    My suggestion: Buy some 80% lean ground beef - form 1/3 lb patty- cook 3 minutes/side over medium heat. Cheese when you turn it. Put it on a bun...

Thats about the only way it wont be screwed up.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Administrator
    It was better when Dave ran the joint.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    No doubt about that.Dave was "the man"...

If I could just get them to put the cheese on my chicken and cheese sandwiches that I payed for it would be great. Such as simple thing...

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Its Wendy's man...

Where I am located, it is a major challenge for them to get my order right.
    99 times out of 100 it will be screwed up and sometimes I honestly believe that they cant get an order right because they are either mentally challenged, or the schools that they go to teach them how to intentionally screw up a simple order.

If I read in the paper that some deranged person went in there and shot the place up, it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

For that reason alone, I will not enter a Wendy's if I am not armed. The way they do business in this area, the odds are against them, its just a matter of time...

You obviously bear watching in Wendys Hotguns.

Senior Moderator
    Yeah...thats what my wife says...

If I wasnt such a law abiding dude, I would have drug somebody across the counter and bodyslammed them. But because I am a patient man, I keep going in just to give them the opprotuntity to get it right...at least ONE time before I die..

If they ever get it right I am going to throw a wild party.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Anyway, nothing happened but I was wondering what would be the threshold for taking your family and getting out of dodge? Shouted threats, customer re-entering the store, or display of weapon (little late there).

Looking back maybe I should have gone to the window and made sure he drove away and not retrieved a weapon. But given no threats were made, it might have been over-reacting.
    There's no over-reaction to going to the window to watch what he did and where he went. But given that you said you were unarmed, I wouldn't have done that. If unarmed, you get away. Curiosity is not justified when you have no weapon.

I think I would leave if I heard the guy say anything that indicated he would be back to "take care of business," or in any other way indicated a violent threat. I'd also call the police from a safe vantage point (possibly from outside the restaurant, opposite the side he left from).

That said, I want to ask why you were not carrying just because you were going to a school. Wouldn't you be able to leave your gun in the car while you were in the school?

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey
    That said, I want to ask why you were not carrying just because you were going to a school. Wouldn't you be able to leave your gun in the car while you were in the school?
    PJ,
    I don't know where JK is located but in Ohio it is not legal to have a fire arm or facsimile on school property. This includes the one locked in your car safe, glove box, range bag or on your person. This means, to me, that I must disarm myself for the day if I have to drop the kids off at school enroute to anywhere.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Reminds me of sitting in Carl's Jr with 2 inches of barrel of a sig sp2022 peaking from under a long tailed shirt. Young couple freaking out while I'm playing with my grandson. The woman glaring at me while the husband won't look up. I'm wondering where Tulsa ranks per capita of crime to Houston, five time the population. The gangs are winning here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links