Where do you talk.

This is a discussion on Where do you talk. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got to thinking about something that happened the other night. It was about 9 PM and the door bell rang. I look out the window ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where do you talk.

Where do you talk.

Got to thinking about something that happened the other night.

It was about 9 PM and the door bell rang. I look out the window on the front door and it is a guy that has a clipboard and a shirt on from the local phone company. I had seen another one of these guys a couple of blocks away earlier in the day when I was headed to soccer practice with the little one. Anyway I open the door and the storm door and step out onto the porch to see what he needed.

It was a simple survey about what phone company you use and if you have dish network. Apparently they are offering bundles or something. It took all of about 1 minute and we were done, he went off and I went back inside

So the question is, do you go outside and talk with someone that comes to your door, do you stand at the door and hold it open (I don't like this option because there is a pretty stiff closer on the storm door which makes it ackward), or do you ask them inside your house? Or I guess the other thing is, do you just not open the door.

In the past I have done all three of the above, outside, at door, and inside.

Thinking back on it, I don't remember if I was wearing my Browning vest or not when I went outside. I have been OWB carrying a bit with the vest (really a jacket with the sleeves removed) on lately until I get used to my crossbreed holster. So there is a real possibility that I went out on the porch with my pistol in plain view. Oh well next time I will need to make a mental note of that before.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Depending upon what I see when I check outside I will open the about a foot with my hand on the back of the door and my leg behind the door to help keep it from being shoved open. I do not open the storm door until after I determine if there is a threat. If a BG he has to open the door which is locked which gives me time to swing my chosed firearm in front of me. If determine it is safe to go outside I will. I have a couple of dogs that get excited which usually detour strangers from wanting to come inside and since they look "uncontrolled" I have a great excuse to not be bothered by fluff.

Many times I can peek out the window to see who it is, grab a gun, and then exit via the garage to see what they want outside. With the dogs they aren't interested in coming in. I'm armed and ready which reduces the risk to me.

My house is pretty well set up to see who's there and prevent a forcible entry. With a gun its much easier keep the threat outside. I don't have a problem letting a stranger that I may perceive as a threat see a glimpse that I am armed.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

9:00 pm. kinda late for a phone company survey. i normally talk thought
    screen door. we always keep screen door locked.(not that it would stop
    bg with a knife from getting in)anyway unless i knew whos at the door
    id stay inside. never let someone in. could be trouble,ya never know these
    days. just my 0.02
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Administrator
    Forget the tactics of it all, I'd be ticked that the phone company is ringing my door bell at 9pm.

To answer your question, I stand in the door way and talk through the screen door. Once I see they are legit, then I might step out and talk with them. I dont make a habit of doing business with anybody who comes to the door, besides the Girl Scouts. Nobody has cookies like they do.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I agree with pitmaster about the dogs. I have two siberian huskies, and while they are not guard dogs, they love to meet new people, so I always open the door a crack, with one hand on it, and one foot behind, while letting the dogs look like viscious wolves, and keep my hand on my gun read to draw, if I'm threatened. Most the time I don't even open the door if its not the pizza guy or someone I've invited over. We have a no solicitation policy in our neighbor hood, but occasionally they do come around. Anyways, it does make you think twice about how you answer the door.

I really don't want this to become a tactics of opening the door etc. What I was looking for was, that after you have determined that there is a legitimate reason, in this case the phone company, or someone hired by them, remember there were others in the neighborhood earlier that evening, where does the conversation take place?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

My Rhodesian Ridgeback is ALWAYS to the door before me...if I open the door 8 inches (no screen in FL)...there is this huge head to greet strangers...all visitors back away, quickly!

My weapon at home is usually IWB, and that is how I answer the door. Late at night, (hasnt' happened yet) I do not open the door to people I do not know. In about 10 seconds, I can scurry out the side of the garage and gain a view of any visitors from behind and my 'two' canines are with me...
    I have used this tactic with visitors during the day, and it really catches them off guard...the dogs quickly gain their attention.

I would also be complaining about any company I do business with...attempting a 'survey' after dark...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I really don't want this to become a tactics of opening the door etc. What I was looking for was, that after you have determined that there is a legitimate reason, in this case the phone company, or someone hired by them, remember there were others in the neighborhood earlier that evening, where does the conversation take place?
    Outside.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Administrator
    Outside. Unless you're a friend you aint coming in. They might be a phone company employee, but they might also run their mouths about the guy who lives at 123 SIXTO street that has a really nice stereo, big screen TV to there buddies, or the temptation is to much for themselves. Why risk it. There is no need to come inside.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Kind of interesting anecdote to this situation. While we were living in Missoula, a local church made a little too much of a habit canvassing our neighborhood. Last time they showed, my youngest answered the door with his hand in the collar of our border collie who was snarling, snapping. The longer the guy at the door talked, the closer my son let the dog to, ummm, let's say about 5 inches below his belt buckle, and the more the guy backed up. Conversation ended relatively quickly, and they quit knocking on my door.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

VIP Member
    I talk to them between my solid door and glass door, with the glass door cracked open. I close as much of the solid door as I can behind me so he can't scope out the interior of my house.

I also have two dogs I don't want to dart out. My 24-pound mutt looks bloodthirsty, barking and growling in the window with her hackles up.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I usually stand in the doorway with the door open. I almost never invite anyone inside. Unfortunately, my dog is not much of a BG deterrent unless he is allergic or has a dog phobia. I want to always have a clear path of retreat into my house if something goes bad. If the BG tries to follow me in and I can't close or lock the door behind me, once he crosses the threshold the castle doctrine kick in. At the point fire or no-fire decisions get a lot easier to make.

I generally take it outside but will sometimes talk through the storm door. At 9pm though they'd be invited to leave.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    I installed a metal security door last summer. It has a dead bolt and the cool thing is, unless you're back-lit, the person outside can't even see you. Door knockers find it really irritating which I enjoy immensely!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

OUTSIDE.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links