God - hope this never happens

God - hope this never happens

This is a discussion on God - hope this never happens within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Your son and you are walking through a dark deserted street (I know this should never be the case). A guy, hiding behind a dumpster, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question God - hope this never happens

Your son and you are walking through a dark deserted street (I know this should never be the case). A guy, hiding behind a dumpster, grabs him and puts a gun to his head, demands all your belongings. You have a 9mm IWB at the small of your back and a .25 berretta in your front pocket. How do you react??? What if instead of a gun its a knife to the thoat??

I would assume you just toss all of your valuables (not the gun) into a pile between you and the BG, and hope he lets go of your son to pick them up. Maybe draw if he does let him go. Maybe just hope for the best.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    You son is between you and the BG, give him what he wants. Toss it on the ground to his side. When he let's your son loose to pick it up, draw and drop him.

Hopefully you have discussed what to do in this type of situation with your son. So, as soon as the BG relaxes his hold your son will know to drop to the ground, out of the line of fire.

I'll be turning 21, Im not even married. For some reason this just popped into my head as I was falling asleep last night.

If, I were ever to be in that situation, I would hope that as soon as the movement was noticed, I would move my son on the other side of me from the BG, and he would have to go through me first to get to him.

Based on your scenario, I would have to toss my wallet, ect, to the side so that the BG would have to manuever to get to it. Hopefully they would let go of the son in doing this and either give us a chance to leave, or draw and neutralize the threat. If at all possible I would be leaving with my son and no shots fired while he was around.

Tough call, and don't plan on getting into that situation where I live.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Having daughters is different- someone grabbing another person is more likely to be in kidnap/SA mode rather than "mugging". Muggers usually get the weapon out front and center so that the threat is generalized, not specific. That way, its easier to keep folks under control, when the victims aren't sure who is going to get hurt. Grabbing a particular individual brings many variables into play, and BGs know this, so... I would view it as preliminary to an abduction. Given that, distract and draw.

Toss him everything but the pistols. Be ready and hope he grabs and runs. If he runs, you've won; if not, draw and do what you have to do to protect your son and yourself.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    keep talking, keep moving, and keep forcing him to adjust his position. I would say comply with his demands, but maybe drop your wallet or keys as a distraction, until he releases his hostage to pick up the wallet. Then shoot him.

If he refuses to let the hostage go, or starts to leave with his hostage, things get much more difficult, and you'll have to play it as the situation allows. One thing for sure though, I would not let him leave with someone I cared about - chances are, it would be the last time I'd ever see them.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    keep talking, keep moving, and keep forcing him to adjust his position. I would say comply with his demands, but maybe drop your wallet or keys as a distraction, until he releases his hostage to pick up the wallet. Then shoot him.

If he refuses to let the hostage go, or starts to leave with his hostage, things get much more difficult, and you'll have to play it as the situation allows. One thing for sure though, I would not let him leave with someone I cared about - chances are, it would be the last time I'd ever see them.

Agree...NEVER LET THEM TAKE YOU TO ANOTHER LOCATION. CHANCE ARE THEY ARE LOOKING FOR A MORE DISCRETE LOCATION TO ACOMPLISH WHAT THEY CANT FINISH NOW.

STAND AND FIGHT.
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

Quote Originally Posted by CCWINNC View Post
    Agree...NEVER LET THEM TAKE YOU TO ANOTHER LOCATION. CHANCE ARE THEY ARE LOOKING FOR A MORE DISCRETE LOCATION TO ACOMPLISH WHAT THEY CANT FINISH NOW.

STAND AND FIGHT.
    +1 !

Throw stuff off to the side while Play the "really scared" victim and hope he bails out with his 'booty' and WITHOUT my son (or daughter).

Otherwise I'm evaluating when/how to best cese the threat WITHOUT him forcing a location change. I will do ALL I can to stay put!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I saw this situation at Gunsite. Only difference is I had my gun out. I put six rounds into the perps head at five feet in about three seconds.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

1. my pocket carry is 380+ -- IMO 25 is too ineffective for physically and reliably stopping BG. Front Pocket can be a veryvery fast draw and natural place to put your hands.

2. Mid back is too slow on the draw IMO.

3. What's the distance to BG? Most of you can or can learn to draw from pocket or some appendix/hip carries and point shoot reliably into a 5 in target (the head) at 15 ft in about 1 1/4 sec.

BUT

So far it looks like a robbery.

Toss the stuff on a highish arc so BG is distracted upward and even to the rear while you are talking about something irrelevant or additional stuff you might have in your pockets to provide addl distraction.

If the kid is let go and BG is facing you as he picks up the stuff, there is still an issue .... you might be able to take him, but if not kid is probably dead too .. no witnesses.

This sux of course but sometimes you gotta fold'em.

If there is any sign or statement about taking the kid, I think you gotta play out the hand best you can. BG does not know you have a gun so you still have an Ace .. just play it well.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

I've seen this in the movies.. it's easy.. you draw your weapon and fire hitting him square in the head.. duh!

Don't you guys ever watch cop shows? :)

Give him the money - then fire three warning shots to the head!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kurk View Post
    Give him the money - then fire three warning shots to the head!
    Are you sure its 3 cause I thought it was two, but you sure could be right

Z

Senior Moderator
    Train your son better.

As a husband and wife team, JD and I go over scenarios like this.

If someone grabs me and demands money from my husband the BG is already at a disadvantage. He has to keep his attention on my husband to determine whether or not he is complying so he can't also have his attention on me.

Because he just grabbed me and demanded things instead of just shooting us both first and then taking whatever we have, it's safe to assume that he doesn't want to kill us (yet). HOWEVER, he may have every intention of killing my husband and taking me for other purposes. Same with if my child was involved. He may demand my money, kill me anyway and then take my kid... NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

While his attention is on my husband (in the husband and wife scenario) I have a chance to at least remove a knife from a pocket. My husband sees my hand go to my pocket, he pretends to go for his wallet, and it's on.

I stab, and put the rest of my life in the hands of my husband and his good aim.

I also put my life in the hands of my husband and hope he can stop any bleeding that might have just occurred by a the wounds a suffering Bad Guy has inflicted on me by naturally curling upon injury and either cutting me or (worse yet) shooting me.

I will never assume that anyone with a gun to my head just wants the money. That's putting too much faith into someone who has already threatened my life.

Also, I would rather see my child wounded before my eyes than wonder (possibly for the rest of my life) if my child was alive, being tortured, hurt, or dead. If someone had a gun/knife to my child and demanded anything of me, I would hope I have equipped my child with enough training and trust to act and then put his faith in me that I will do the rest.

If I give over my purse, my bag, whatever, and he's still not running, he's not going to run without something else, and all that's left to take is a life and he's not getting mine or my child's without a fight. PERIOD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links