Who remembers the "attacked on a motorcycle" thread? I almost had to play it out - Page 2

Who remembers the "attacked on a motorcycle" thread? I almost had to play it out

This is a discussion on Who remembers the "attacked on a motorcycle" thread? I almost had to play it out within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What do folks think of hiding an ammo can modified to lock, in which to deposit your gun in the woods near your work as ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who remembers the "attacked on a motorcycle" thread? I almost had to play it out

What do folks think of hiding an ammo can modified to lock, in which to deposit your gun in the woods near your work as possible?

If ppl might see you going into the woods, vary the hiding spot occasionally. Ideally, a place where you could drive the bike off road, out of sight.

C.
    Seeking Knowledge, Hoping for Wisdom

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    I don't think I have enough room in my underseat storage to even fit the smallest of my pistols, not to mention I'd have to turn off my bike to unlock the trunk and pull out the pistol. If there is a lockable tank box (rather than a cloth bag)that could lock to the frame, that would rock. Hmm, I think I might start some work this weekend.
    I've done some thinking about building a custom box under my front seat, above the battery. I'd have to do some fairing work to make a discrete door, but I might be able to design it to be easily accessible, but lockable too.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    Same problem with getting a lockbox, since I have to park on the facility.
    Are you saying that if you were to stop somewhere before reaching work, and stow a handgun you had been CCWing on the ride, your bike would end up being searched and you'd be found to have a gun in it?

I'd still love to have a lockbox on the bike, but I have yet to find a good sturdy one or a spot to discretely mount it where it's still accessible.
    I understand about having a discreet place to mount it (someone mentioned under the seat); but I don't know why it would have to be accessible. What I'm imagining is a box where you can store the gun, but for the ride to and from work you would actually carry the gun on your person. Before arriving and after leaving work, you would stop a short distance outside the premises, make sure no one from work is anywhere nearby at all, and wear the gun for the ride home.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Are you saying that if you were to stop somewhere before reaching work, and stow a handgun you had been CCWing on the ride, your bike would end up being searched and you'd be found to have a gun in it?
    Yep, sure am. Any time I park on the facility, myself and my vehicle are subject to search, and they do sometimes stop people on their way out. Not usually motorcycles though, and it's generally just to make sure nobody is making off with nasa property.

There was a story yesterday though (workplace violence training ), about an anonymous tip that an employee had a gun in his car, they searched, it was true, and he was arrested on the spot. I'd rather not have that be me.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I understand about having a discreet place to mount it (someone mentioned under the seat); but I don't know why it would have to be accessible. What I'm imagining is a box where you can store the gun, but for the ride to and from work you would actually carry the gun on your person. Before arriving and after leaving work, you would stop a short distance outside the premises, make sure no one from work is anywhere nearby at all, and wear the gun for the ride home.
    For one thing, getting my front seat off is not easy. It requires tools, and is not something I want to be messing with on the side of the road. Also, I would like to have the option to carry off-body and have it be still somewhat accessible, if for whatever reason, I can't find a good spot to stop and holster it. And even when I do carry it hip-side on the bike, it's not easy to get to under my jacket, which has always bothered me. So, I'm considering other options. I'm not locked into anything though.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Quote Originally Posted by monky View Post
    I had a jackass in an F250 do that to me one morning on I225.. 3am.. heading to work.. no traffic.. I was in the right lane, he was in the left.. he got into the right lane and IMMEDIATELY slammed on his brakes.. I was able to stop way before he was, went into the left lane and started to pass him. He cut over and tried to hit me, he just wasn't fast enough. I know where all the cops set radar on the road so I kept it pinned untill I found one, pulled up next to him and told him what happened. My bike was blocked from his view as I was on the passenger side of the officer. Officer told me to wait right there and went after the guy.. about 5 mins later an unmarked pulled up next to me as I sat on the road and took my info from me before letting me go. As I passed the truck now pulled over (2 other officers were there and the suspect was cuffed, along with 3 other people that I did not see in the truck).

When a detective called me a few days later he explained that there had been a few calls that night in regards to the same thing happening, I was the only motorcycle though. Likely they were trying to force cars to stop/run off the road in an attempt to steal the vehicles. All 4 BGs had warrants out for various things and I am waiting to go to court as a prosecution witness. Can't recall everything they are being charged with though.

I've always been kind of nervous driving to work at that time, got hit by a drunk driver after he left the bar one night.. so I'm always keeping my eyes out. On my bike even more so.. I'm really glad I pay attention to where cops sit with radar :)

This is a time when habitual radar locations helped! I'm glad you took the time to give your account of what happened...too many people would have been long gone.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by cgraham View Post
    What do folks think of hiding an ammo can modified to lock, in which to deposit your gun in the woods near your work as possible?

If ppl might see you going into the woods, vary the hiding spot occasionally. Ideally, a place where you could drive the bike off road, out of sight.

C.
    I think this is an exceedingly bad idea.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    You need HID lights, then you will not have to piss anybody off leaving your High beams on. You shouldn't have even thought about being able to shoot them anyway, you started it by running high beams at an unsafe distance. You caused the road rage situation yourself.
    I have a Busa which has the worst headlight of any bike made, but I spent a few bucks and upgraded, because I can't expect everybody to have to deal with my high beams, just because my equipment is inferior.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by monky View Post
    I had a jackass in an F250 do that to me one morning on I225.. 3am.. heading to work.. no traffic.. I was in the right lane, he was in the left.. he got into the right lane and IMMEDIATELY slammed on his brakes.. I was able to stop way before he was, went into the left lane and started to pass him. He cut over and tried to hit me, he just wasn't fast enough. I know where all the cops set radar on the road so I kept it pinned untill I found one, pulled up next to him and told him what happened. My bike was blocked from his view as I was on the passenger side of the officer. Officer told me to wait right there and went after the guy.. about 5 mins later an unmarked pulled up next to me as I sat on the road and took my info from me before letting me go. As I passed the truck now pulled over (2 other officers were there and the suspect was cuffed, along with 3 other people that I did not see in the truck).

When a detective called me a few days later he explained that there had been a few calls that night in regards to the same thing happening, I was the only motorcycle though. Likely they were trying to force cars to stop/run off the road in an attempt to steal the vehicles. All 4 BGs had warrants out for various things and I am waiting to go to court as a prosecution witness. Can't recall everything they are being charged with though.

I've always been kind of nervous driving to work at that time, got hit by a drunk driver after he left the bar one night.. so I'm always keeping my eyes out. On my bike even more so.. I'm really glad I pay attention to where cops sit with radar :)
    Glad things turned out OK. Keep us posted on the outcome.

wyo-man

Quote Originally Posted by Super Trucker View Post
    You need HID lights, then you will not have to piss anybody off leaving your High beams on. You shouldn't have even thought about being able to shoot them anyway, you started it by running high beams at an unsafe distance. You caused the road rage situation yourself.
    I have a Busa which has the worst headlight of any bike made, but I spent a few bucks and upgraded, because I can't expect everybody to have to deal with my high beams, just because my equipment is inferior.

Just a thought.
    Since when are HID lights incapable of blinding? Quite the opposite in my experience - they blind people even on lows.

I also don't recall talking about shooting anybody. Just about possible ways to carry a gun on my bike should the worst ever happen.

And let me explain a little about why I kept my high's on for so long. This road has no street-lights, it's all undeveloped swampland on both sides, and before the moon comes out, it is quite literally pitch black as far as you can (or can't) see. I ride an F4i, which has decent low-beams, but they don't stretch out far enough down the road for me to be confident that there are no depressed little woodland critters waiting to comit suicide-by-bike. My high-beams do just fine at illuminating the shoulders of the road for quite a ways away, and so I generally use them when I have to ride home at night, though I do dim them for on-coming traffic.

Old beat-up Bronco's (at least this one), by contrast, have very poor headlights that cast no light on the shoulders whatsoever. In closing on said old Bronco, I still need that illumination, at least until I'm close enough that any of the woodland critters would either dive out in front of him, or miss us both completely. Thus, I kept my high's on until I felt comfortable, then dimmed them in consideration of the driver ahead.

If this was bothering Mr. Bronco, the appropriate action would be to simply dim his mirror. Bikes are narrow enough to appear only in the center mirror, not the sides, and a simple flick of his wrist could have solved the issue. Alternatively, he could also have pulled part-way onto the shoulder to signal me to pass him. He did neither of these, and I don't think it was so much a "road rage" incident as just some stupid kids getting a rise.

And even if my lights were too bright, I hardly think that justifies forcing me to stop and screaming at me out the window. Would it also be my fault if they decided to screw with me simply because I was on a bike? After all, if I didn't ride, it wouldn't happen...

Or maybe my sarcasm meter needs adjusting.

Since when are HID lights incapable of blinding? Quite the opposite in my experience - they blind people even on lows.

I also don't recall talking about shooting anybody. Just about possible ways to carry a gun on my bike should the worst ever happen.

And let me explain a little about why I kept my high's on for so long. This road has no street-lights, it's all undeveloped swampland on both sides, and before the moon comes out, it is quite literally pitch black as far as you can (or can't) see. I ride an F4i, which has decent low-beams, but they don't stretch out far enough down the road for me to be confident that there are no depressed little woodland critters waiting to comit suicide-by-bike. My high-beams do just fine at illuminating the shoulders of the road for quite a ways away, and so I generally use them when I have to ride home at night, though I do dim them for on-coming traffic.

Old beat-up Bronco's (at least this one), by contrast, have very poor headlights that cast no light on the shoulders whatsoever. In closing on said old Bronco, I still need that illumination, at least until I'm close enough that any of the woodland critters would either dive out in front of him, or miss us both completely. Thus, I kept my high's on until I felt comfortable, then dimmed them in consideration of the driver ahead.

If this was bothering Mr. Bronco, the appropriate action would be to simply dim his mirror. Bikes are narrow enough to appear only in the center mirror, not the sides, and a simple flick of his wrist could have solved the issue. Alternatively, he could also have pulled part-way onto the shoulder to signal me to pass him. He did neither of these, and I don't think it was so much a "road rage" incident as just some stupid kids getting a rise.

And even if my lights were too bright, I hardly think that justifies forcing me to stop and screaming at me out the window. Would it also be my fault if they decided to screw with me simply because I was on a bike? After all, if I didn't ride, it wouldn't happen...

Or maybe my sarcasm meter needs adjusting.
    Bikes tend to close on a cage quickly, and even when we slow down before we are too close this tends to piss them off. I ride a VFR, which has what I consider the best production low beams out there, the hi beams are referred to as 'cage blinders'. So I have pissed people off with my headlights too.

It's just a road rage mentality... so maybe your lights (even on low) were a little too bright for the guy, he shouldn't get all tweaked about it. A grown up would have done exactly what you said, flick the rear view to night mode, make a comment and live on.

He's going to continue his life that way, being red pissed off at every living soul that disturbs him in the slightest. I wasn't there, but I don't believe you were in danger. You did exactly what I would have done, leave them behind (I've had to do this on my bike thousands of times). Sometimes it even helps to give them an exaggerated shrug while passing them, sort communicating a 'what the heck IS your problem'?

Even if he swerved and tried to hit me I would have laughed at him while making a mental note of his license number. There's no way a POS Bronco is going to make a move on me with me seeing it coming, I can read those douche bags like an open book.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

VIP Member
    We live in a rural area on a winding/hilly highway, at night, it's pretty much completely black. There are no residual lights from a city, street lights, houses or lights from excessive traffic. It's just black with starlight and maybe a moon. Anytime I drive home at night, (21 years now) my high-beams are on (car, not a bike) all the way home, of course unless I get behind someone or meet someone (rare). If a tree/limb has fallen across the road, or someones cows are loose, or a deer is nearby I need to be able to see it ASAP......I'd call it my "driving situational awareness".
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

of course you were under the assumption that the only way was... Forward.

Quote Originally Posted by minutemanjs View Post
    of course you were under the assumption that the only way was... Forward.
    True. It happened to be the most convenient, though I suppose I could have turned the bike and gone back to work.

I ride an F4i, which has decent low-beams, but they don't stretch out far enough down the road for me to be confident that there are no depressed little woodland critters waiting to comit suicide-by-bike.
    LOL, that's sigworthy. I live in a rural area with TONS of wildlife waiting to commit suicide, and lots of homicidal autos piloted by daydreaming fools, inattentive fools. The CBR1000RR's low beams leave a lot to be desired, so I know where you're coming from with the F4i, my little brother's R1 has way better lighting. I leave my highs on all the time because I don't need to become a statistic and need to see the edges of the road.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Administrator
    While we are on the topic of lighting, dont forget your tail lights; a good pal of mine was just rear ended while she was out on her gixxer. I think if she had a better tail light the accident could have been avoided. The bike got the worse end of the deal, injuries were minor.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links