Who remembers the "attacked on a motorcycle" thread? I almost had to play it out

This is a discussion on Who remembers the "attacked on a motorcycle" thread? I almost had to play it out within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SIXTO While we are on the topic of lighting, dont forget your tail lights; a good pal of mine was just rear ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who remembers the "attacked on a motorcycle" thread? I almost had to play it out

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    While we are on the topic of lighting, dont forget your tail lights; a good pal of mine was just rear ended while she was out on her gixxer. I think if she had a better tail light the accident could have been avoided. The bike got the worse end of the deal, injuries were minor.
    Good point. Glad your friend came out of that OK. rear-endings can end badly for bikers.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    While we are on the topic of lighting, dont forget your tail lights; a good pal of mine was just rear ended while she was out on her gixxer. I think if she had a better tail light the accident could have been avoided. The bike got the worse end of the deal, injuries were minor.
    Smoked and/or integrated? I have a smoked integrated taillight for four months and haven't put it on because the stock one is bright and the stock fender are so wide apart they give a better frame of reference to people behind rather than a small, red brake light.
    Ride safe out there...
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

M2
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    The CBR1000RR's low beams leave a lot to be desired.
    More than a lot, they simply suck! And why Honda went the "European look" route with only one low beam is beyond me. More CBR owners get cited for having a headlight out, although most states only require one headlight on a motorcycle (Texas included). But the added benefit of having the second low beam would do the CBR wonders.

The irony is when I was in Belgium with my ST1100, I used to get flashed for having two low beams. That is uncommon in Europe (and even the ST there only has one low beam), and as European headlights tend to be weaker than American ones, I could see the confusion. However, a quick flick of the high beams would set things straight (only done after repeated flashings)...

Cheers! M2

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    why Honda went the "European look" route with only one low beam is beyond me.
    That makes two of us. On my list of things to do to my bike is to do a 2-filiment bulb conversion. The "winky" look isn't my favorite.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    Since when are HID lights incapable of blinding? Quite the opposite in my experience - they blind people even on lows.

I also don't recall talking about shooting anybody. Just about possible ways to carry a gun on my bike should the worst ever happen.

And let me explain a little about why I kept my high's on for so long. This road has no street-lights, it's all undeveloped swampland on both sides, and before the moon comes out, it is quite literally pitch black as far as you can (or can't) see. I ride an F4i, which has decent low-beams, but they don't stretch out far enough down the road for me to be confident that there are no depressed little woodland critters waiting to comit suicide-by-bike. My high-beams do just fine at illuminating the shoulders of the road for quite a ways away, and so I generally use them when I have to ride home at night, though I do dim them for on-coming traffic.

Old beat-up Bronco's (at least this one), by contrast, have very poor headlights that cast no light on the shoulders whatsoever. In closing on said old Bronco, I still need that illumination, at least until I'm close enough that any of the woodland critters would either dive out in front of him, or miss us both completely. Thus, I kept my high's on until I felt comfortable, then dimmed them in consideration of the driver ahead.

If this was bothering Mr. Bronco, the appropriate action would be to simply dim his mirror. Bikes are narrow enough to appear only in the center mirror, not the sides, and a simple flick of his wrist could have solved the issue. Alternatively, he could also have pulled part-way onto the shoulder to signal me to pass him. He did neither of these, and I don't think it was so much a "road rage" incident as just some stupid kids getting a rise.

And even if my lights were too bright, I hardly think that justifies forcing me to stop and screaming at me out the window. Would it also be my fault if they decided to screw with me simply because I was on a bike? After all, if I didn't ride, it wouldn't happen...

Or maybe my sarcasm meter needs adjusting.
    Actually the HID on my bike when adjusted properly does cover the sides of the road much better. I wasn't trying to pick a fight with you but legaly you have to dim your lights when approching a vehicle. That is the law sorry.
    The guy in the Bronco was wrong for swerving/chasing etc. But you started it. When you were within 100' of the truck you had no use for your high beam, since your bike is to low to see through or over a bronco.
    Bottom line don't piss people off and you can avoid road rage.
    When you look at a situation you caused and say, they can do this that and the other to fix it that is also wrong. ie he shouldn't be forced to dim his mirror, that is just plain rude.
    I generally try to avoid conflict when on my bike, this nut job in the bronco, may remember you and 6 mths from now run you over at a red light just because you pissed if off.

European headlights tend to be weaker than American ones,
    On bikes, maybe. Definitely not on cars. H4s and CE beam patterns beat 9007s and SAE light pattern any time.

M2
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe R View Post
    On bikes, maybe. Definitely not on cars. H4s and CE beam patterns beat 9007s and SAE light pattern any time.
    You are correct, now European car lights are much better. I should have stated that in the past European headlights were much weaker. I now run European headlights on my Jeep as the stock ones were junk. Luckily one took a rock and cracked, giving me no choice but to replace both!

Cheers! M2

You are correct, now European car lights are much better. I should have stated that in the past European headlights were much weaker. I now run European headlights on my Jeep as the stock ones were junk. Luckily one took a rock and cracked, giving me no choice but to replace both!

Cheers! M2
    In the past, SAE spec headlights were even worse than they are now.

My first car was a 1986 Porsche 1944. It came with SAE spec halogen sealed beams. Those were thrown in the garbage, where they belong, in short order and replaced with 7" round Hella H4s. My next car was a 1989 VW Golf GTi 16V. It came with SAE spec Jetta headlamps using 9004 bulbs (instead of the 7" round H4 headlights and 4" round H3 driving lights in the grille like Euro GTis). Those where quickly thrashed and replaced with CE spec Jetta headlamps using H4 bulbs.

It is only now that SAE headlights are approaching the performance of CE lights.

Cheers back to you !

I'm glad you made it past OK, but, would like to share my .02 worth.
    I drive a 3/4 ton truck with outside mirrors, motorcycle lights on bright behind me a quite annoying, and actually inhibits my vision.
    The law is very clear when you are required to dim you lights and how far. Frankly, I would have appreciated it if you followed the leagle requirements.
    If an accident were to happen, it would have been your fault, and if the driver ran you off the road and you shot him, it cold be construed that you were annoying him and caused the problem, thus provoking him into a fight. Next thing you know, you are the one in jail. Believe me, provoking a fight, negates your right to pull a gun regardless of what the other person has.
    I like motorcycles, enjoy riding them, but I als encourage them to do their part. If you could not see the road with you low beams behind the bronc, then perhaps you should have backed off and drove slower.
    I am not trying to flame you, as I am sure you would be great to ride with, but remember, we have a responsiblity to be safe and to make others safe at all times. As Paul Harvy would say, that's the rest of the story.

Without my weapon...I would have turned my Harley around and headed in the other direction...20 miles out of my way is easier than a road rage incident...
    Probably WITH my weapon, I would have also turned around...easier than explaining a shooting...having a weapon means you would turn around if you could have...OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I ride my bike everyday, and have encountered similar scenarios.
    Maybe because of bright lights, maybe because I came up on them quickly, whatever the reason...some people are just nuts.

I usually start to back off, then just pass them.
    Be particularly careful passing like you did. You gave them too much time to prepare a weapon, such as a bat, to hit you as you went by.
    Don't mess around, get out of there as quickly as possible,
    even if it means going back the way you just came from.

It's hard to get to your wepaon quickly with most carry methods
    if you are wearing leathers. I like having one of my handguns in my tankbag. I keep the zippers both to the rear so they are easy to grap and open. My tankbag is very securely mounted and does not move at all. It may not be the best option on all bikes,
    but it works great on mine.
    Here's a pic of my 2002 Kawasaki ZX-12R, and the bag setup.
    You can see the zippers pulled to the center in the back of the bag
    Attached Images

You're a smart man. You did well. Don't let the fact that you have a weapon make you brave. The fact that you have a weapon makes you safe.

Quote Originally Posted by golfer View Post
    I'm glad you made it past OK, but, would like to share my .02 worth.
    I drive a 3/4 ton truck with outside mirrors, motorcycle lights on bright behind me a quite annoying, and actually inhibits my vision.
    The law is very clear when you are required to dim you lights and how far. Frankly, I would have appreciated it if you followed the leagle requirements.
    If an accident were to happen, it would have been your fault, and if the driver ran you off the road and you shot him, it cold be construed that you were annoying him and caused the problem, thus provoking him into a fight. Next thing you know, you are the one in jail. Believe me, provoking a fight, negates your right to pull a gun regardless of what the other person has.
    I like motorcycles, enjoy riding them, but I als encourage them to do their part. If you could not see the road with you low beams behind the bronc, then perhaps you should have backed off and drove slower.
    I am not trying to flame you, as I am sure you would be great to ride with, but remember, we have a responsiblity to be safe and to make others safe at all times. As Paul Harvy would say, that's the rest of the story.
    I explained earlier why I kept my high's on as long as I did - it wasn't so much to see in front of him as to see beside him, along the shoulders of the road. I try to always ride courteously, but in cases where ensuring my own safety conflicts with another driver's mere comfort, I will always choose the option that I believe to be safer.

Thanks for sharing your opinion - you're right that bikers do have a responsibility to be courteous to the cagers around them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    I explained earlier why I kept my high's on as long as I did - it wasn't so much to see in front of him as to see beside him, along the shoulders of the road. I try to always ride courteously, but in cases where ensuring my own safety conflicts with another driver's mere comfort, I will always choose the option that I believe to be safer.
    I've refrained from commenting thus far, but this comment made me change my mind.

Your opinion that your high beams cause "mere discomfort" is usually not shared by those on the receiving end. Make sure you are good at taking evasive action because I predict more encounters like this in the future for you.

For the record, around here many riders like to ride with their high beams on day OR night regardless of other traffic. Some of them are so damned powerful that they actually dazzle during overcast daylight. I flash mine to let them know they are blinding oncoming traffic and I will leave mine on as a courtesy if they do so too.

Your safety does not trump that of other road users. And remember who is vulnerable and who is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe R View Post
    For the record, around here many riders like to ride with their high beams on day OR night regardless of other traffic. Some of them are so damned powerful that they actually dazzle during overcast daylight. I flash mine to let them know they are blinding oncoming traffic and I will leave mine on as a courtesy if they do so too.

Your safety does not trump that of other road users. And remember who is vulnerable and who is not.
    I've seen riders who ride with their brights all the time as well, and I agree, it's a stupid thing to do, because it blinds on-coming vehicles and makes it more difficult for them to avoid you.

As I already said, I always dim for on-coming traffic, and 99 times out of 100, I dim when following too. The only exception is when the ambient lighting conditions demand more light. In this case, if you note, I did indeed dim my lights, I just waited until I was close enough to not worry about the road-side wildlife.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links