Who remembers the "attacked on a motorcycle" thread? I almost had to play it out

This is a discussion on Who remembers the "attacked on a motorcycle" thread? I almost had to play it out within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wasn't carrying at the time, so I don't know if this qualifies as a tactical scenario. If it requires moving, please do so. Background: ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who remembers the "attacked on a motorcycle" thread? I almost had to play it out

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar

Who remembers the "attacked on a motorcycle" thread? I almost had to play it out

I wasn't carrying at the time, so I don't know if this qualifies as a tactical scenario. If it requires moving, please do so.

Background: I work on a NASA facility, which means no CCW under pain of federal felony. I drive home from work every day down approx. 30 miles of back-country 2-lane winding roads with very little traffic. There are no turn-offs along this road and narrow shoulders with just enough room to do a 3-point turnaround. There are absolutely no lights and it get extremely dark out there, which means I have to keep a extra-careful eye out for wild pigs and other wildlife. I also ride a 600cc sport bike with very bright hi-beams that will literally turn the road and shoulders ahead of me into daylight.

Last night, I rode back in the dark, and was about 20 miles into the drive when I came up behind an old beat-up bronco doing about 45mph (people normally do 65+ along here). I thought this was odd, but I couldn't see far enough around him to spot the next bend in the road, and so I didn't feel comfortable passing him blindly.

I had my brights on as I got closer, which I realize was probably annoying for him, but I needed the extra light to spot road-side critters. It also let me see through his non-existant back window at the 3 young men that were passengers. I did dim my lights when I got within about 20ft, but I think the damage was already done.

The driver of the Bronco slammed on his brakes, forcing me to do the same, then sped back up, braked again, etc, all the while weaving in his lane. I had no trouble matching his brake check, but he clearly was trying to mess with me.

I still couldn't see very far down the road, so I swung wide in the lane to let my headlights shine down the road. This put my light right in his side mirror when I flicked my brights on again. He brake checked again, slowing to about 5mph, and I realized he was trying to force me to stop. His passengers were all looking back at me the whole time, ready to climb out.

I decided right then I wasn't going to let myself be stopped on the side of a dark low-traffic road with 4 angry guys and no gun. I had already downshifted to 1st, and swung around him. I saw the driver stick his head out the window, and heard him yell obscenities before I pinned the throttle.

I also heard him floor it, trying to keep me trapped in the opposing lane, but that was a lost cause on his part, and I kept the throttle wrapped until I couldn't see his headlights anymore. I don't know how fast I was going, but I found myself outriding my hi-beams and having to back off.

Lesson 1: I hate being disarmed. If they had succeeded in forcing me either off the road or stopping me, I would have been in a very bad spot. I was expecting the driver to start weaving across both lanes to keep me trapped, and I guess I'm lucky he didn't think of it sooner.

Lesson 2: A motorcycle of any type, but especially a sportbike, is un-touchable if you're being pursued by a car. Granted, an old Bronco with 4 people in it isn't the fastest thing on 4 wheels, but I was very glad I was able to make distance as fast as I did. Had I been on something slower, I have no doubt that he would've kept up the cat & mouse game until someone (probably me) ended up in the swamp beside the road.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

2. Remove Ads

Glad you got home safely. The adrenaline rush and the speed at which you were outrunning your lights must have gotten your heart pounding a bit.

Did you happen to get the license plate number? Hopefully they don't frequent this same road as often as you do and you won't be running into them any time soon.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    You might want to have your "situational awareness" on high for a while on future trips going home, especially if you have a set pattern. And watch for other vehicles other than the Bronco too, they/some of them could always drive a different vehicle.

Too bad about not being able to ccw, at least on your travel to and from. I guess you could always stop and buy a new gun everyday on your way home.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I guess you could always stop and buy a new gun everyday on your way home.
    I like it!

I took my truck today, partly because it's cold outside, and partly in case I saw the same guys again.

I'd never seen them before last night, and honestly, I doubt I'll ever see them again. They didn't seem to be hunting me, just easily PO'd and being stupid. I'll definitely have my radar on high for a while though.

I forgot to mention the adrenalin. It's great stuff when you need it, but man, coming down always gets me. When I realized what was happening and took off, I surprised myself a little with the level of control that I maintained over the bike. I distinctly remember feeling the front wheel rise up, feeling the throttle hit the stop in each gear, and being totally OK with that. I never got that on-the-ragged-edge-of-control feeling.

And despite not being able to see as far as I would've liked, I know that road extremely well, and found the next turn-off street easily (even though I took the turn at about twice my normal speed, which was a little faster than I probably should have) After that turn, though, the shaky-hands started, and I kept checking my mirror to make sure they hadn't turned in after me. I think my heart finally calmed down about 5 miles later.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    Lesson 2: A motorcycle of any type, but especially a sportbike, is un-touchable if you're being pursued by a car. Granted, an old Bronco with 4 people in it isn't the fastest thing on 4 wheels, but I was very glad I was able to make distance as fast as I did. Had I been on something slower, I have no doubt that he would've kept up the cat & mouse game until someone (probably me) ended up in the swamp beside the road.
    I know I've heard several stories from fellow riders who get mucked with on the road. Some have done exactly the right thing (make them pindots in your rearview very quicky, like you did), several were dumb enough to display the holstered weapon. One pulled and pointed and ended up in jail for brandishing a firearm.

You did great. Nobody on four wheels can touch you on your bike. Get on that throttle and you won't hear them cuss you as you fly by. One thought...it could have been very different if it were a menacing group of riders.

Perhaps you could spearhead a program where civie employees could relinquish frearms upon arriving to work and get 'em on the way out the gate. I know...pie-eyed moonbeam dreams, but THAT would be ideal for you.

Come to think of it, does anybody know of a gun lockbox for a motorcycle? It would have to hidden, under the seat or something. Maybe on the frame of the bike, but what a good idea! My ZRX 1200 must have one!!
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

VIP Member
    Dang Bob, reading your story got my adrenalin pumping a little!

Glad it all worked out.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Glad that everything turned out for the best. I also work on a Federal facility and cannot carry to and from work - and I'm not in the best of neighborhoods either. I would never ride a bike around this place - I feel your pain.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    Perhaps you could spearhead a program where civie employees could relinquish frearms upon arriving to work and get 'em on the way out the gate. I know...pie-eyed moonbeam dreams, but THAT would be ideal for you.

Come to think of it, does anybody know of a gun lockbox for a motorcycle? It would have to hidden, under the seat or something. Maybe on the frame of the bike, but what a good idea! My ZRX 1200 must have one!!
    In my new-hire orientation, that exact issue came up, and the answer was an emphatic NO. It's been tried, and unfortunately, the problem is not NASA policy, but federal law, which is not so easily changed. Same problem with getting a lockbox, since I have to park on the facility. I've been looking for good safe off-site parking, but have yet to find any. There's a possibility that my company may lease an office building for us across the street (they're not happy with all the NASA facilities red-tape), so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I'd still love to have a lockbox on the bike, but I have yet to find a good sturdy one or a spot to discretely mount it where it's still accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    There's a possibility that my company may lease an office building for us across the street (they're not happy with all the NASA facilities red-tape), so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    If you're still doing government work at the new facility across the street, be sure that when the contract is let that it doesn't somehow still make it a government facility and still fall under federal law. If it does, then it would still be considered a no no to carry there. My wife and I were at a SSA office the other day in a building that is also leased to physicians and there was an armed guard at the entrance on the inside of the building to their specific office along with the normal signs.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

I had a jackass in an F250 do that to me one morning on I225.. 3am.. heading to work.. no traffic.. I was in the right lane, he was in the left.. he got into the right lane and IMMEDIATELY slammed on his brakes.. I was able to stop way before he was, went into the left lane and started to pass him. He cut over and tried to hit me, he just wasn't fast enough. I know where all the cops set radar on the road so I kept it pinned untill I found one, pulled up next to him and told him what happened. My bike was blocked from his view as I was on the passenger side of the officer. Officer told me to wait right there and went after the guy.. about 5 mins later an unmarked pulled up next to me as I sat on the road and took my info from me before letting me go. As I passed the truck now pulled over (2 other officers were there and the suspect was cuffed, along with 3 other people that I did not see in the truck).

When a detective called me a few days later he explained that there had been a few calls that night in regards to the same thing happening, I was the only motorcycle though. Likely they were trying to force cars to stop/run off the road in an attempt to steal the vehicles. All 4 BGs had warrants out for various things and I am waiting to go to court as a prosecution witness. Can't recall everything they are being charged with though.

I've always been kind of nervous driving to work at that time, got hit by a drunk driver after he left the bar one night.. so I'm always keeping my eyes out. On my bike even more so.. I'm really glad I pay attention to where cops sit with radar :)

Nothing pisses me off more than when ppl mess with you while on your motorcycle. Good to hear your safe. Ride them roads carefully brother

Quote Originally Posted by walvord View Post
    If you're still doing government work at the new facility across the street, be sure that when the contract is let that it doesn't somehow still make it a government facility and still fall under federal law. If it does, then it would still be considered a no no to carry there. My wife and I were at a SSA office the other day in a building that is also leased to physicians and there was an armed guard at the entrance on the inside of the building to their specific office along with the normal signs.
    That's an interesting thought. I wouldn't think that would be the case since it wouldn't be federal property and would have no federal employees, but I'll keep my ear to the ground. Thanks.

Monky - That's a pretty hair-raising tale. Glad it worked out for you. Ride safe. 3AM is a bad time to be on two wheels.

M2
    Yep, it's one of the things I hate most about working on federal property. I think it is ridiculous and there should be provisions for people who legally carry. But as Texas just made it legal for almost anyone to carry a concealed weapon in their vehicles, I guess it would open the floodgates. But a counter-argument would be how much safer could a base be than to have all the people who are eligible to carry weapons? I sure as heck would have felt better after 9/11 if I could have carried.

And as a fellow sportbike rider (CBR1000RR) and one who does carry on the bike, my primary plan is to put as much distance between me and the idiots as possible. For one, getting to the weapon isn't as easy as when I normally carry (I have a vertical shoulder holster under my leathers, but use an IWB holster otherwise). Two, as you stated, I have a better chance using the power and acceleration advantage over a car.

But the time I would most want to carry is when I drive my open Jeep to work. And, much like you, I don't work in the best part of town. One of the Texas executions earlier this year was of a guy who killed a USAF captain not far outside of base ten years ago (read the story here). Whereas crime isn't that bad in San Antonio, I always carry when I can because you never know when something like this may occur.

Glad you made it out OK!

Cheers! M2

There's a business idea here, gang! Some little shop like "Mailboxes, etc." (They still around?)could open a section of secure lockers with armed clerks near such fed facilities. Couple bucks a day for a locker, drop it off going in, pick it up on your way home.....

Good job BTG!

Stay safe.
    Bob

I'm glad you got out of that situation cleanly. I know all about the adrenaline, I've had it happened several times but never because of a close call other than with the road (bad roadways around here).
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post

I can't carry into work either, though I can leave firearms in a vehicle outside the main gate in the contractor lot. I don't think I have enough room in my underseat storage to even fit the smallest of my pistols, not to mention I'd have to turn off my bike to unlock the trunk and pull out the pistol. If there is a lockable tank box (rather than a cloth bag)that could lock to the frame, that would rock. Hmm, I think I might start some work this weekend.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links