Would you draw in this situation?

This is a discussion on Would you draw in this situation? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My thought is would you at a minimum draw your gun, with no intention to fire at him just to keep him at bay and ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you draw in this situation?

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    My thought is would you at a minimum draw your gun, with no intention to fire at him just to keep him at bay and halt the attacks?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    It's funny how long it appears to take the BG to take off his jacket when the shoving match starts. That would be the time to really clock him, if you felt inclined--He's taken both of his arms out of the fight for like 3-5 seconds!

I did not see a point at which I would have drawn except, as was already said, when the guy actually sat down in my car! If anyone in my family was in that car, that guy might well have ended up being perforated.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    My thought is would you at a minimum draw your gun, with no intention to fire at him just to keep him at bay and halt the attacks?

Draw your gun "with no intention to fire"?!

NO!!

Isn't that like the biggest no-no in the book?!

Besides, if you draw knowing that you will not be firing, you are disproving any allegation that you were legally justified in drawing in the first place, i.e. you should be drawing because you feel your life is in danger, and if you already have decided you have "no intention to fire," you clearly did not feel your life was in danger, hence were not justified in drawing.

No I wouldn't draw but the second he jumped into my car he would have been pulled out and thrown to the ground and restrained. Foot in the neck arm behind his back while I was on the phone to 911. I would tell them I just subdued a car jacker and to send police.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Buz
    Quote Originally Posted by blueyedevil View Post
    No way, good way to end up with a court case and your CCW revoked. If he's not a credible threat the sidearm stays put.
    +1.
    Anyone who would draw in that situation probably shouldn't be carrying. Carrying a loaded weapon in public is a monumental responsibility.

The guy's a douche and wouldn't be worth the price of my ammo.
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Draw your gun "with no intention to fire"?!

NO!!

Isn't that like the biggest no-no in the book?!

Besides, if you draw knowing that you will not be firing, you are disproving any allegation that you were legally justified in drawing in the first place, i.e. you should be drawing because you feel your life is in danger, and if you already have decided you have "no intention to fire," you clearly did not feel your life was in danger, hence were not justified in drawing.
    Bingo!...Yep!...+1!

It really is that simple, the math including long division of it all.
    Worst would be someone saying they might fire a 'warning' shot in the air/at the ground or some other such ill advised action/reaction.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    negative on the drawing in this situation. Even if he got into my car and drove off with it, as long as I cannot precieve MORTAL danger it isn't getting pulled. Insurence will get my car back (hopefully)
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Senior Moderator
    No need to draw the gun.

Good chance he gets to taste-test some OC if he can't keep his hands to himself.

But he's clearly not an imminent lethal threat to anyone, so the gun is not indicated.

Side note - in Florida, if he's attempting to enter an occupied vehicle, the presumption is he does so with the intent of committing a violent felony and further presumes that an occupant using deadly force to repel him does so out of a reasonable fear of imminent death os great bodily harm.

So if he's going to continue going through life acting the fool, he'd best stay out of the Sunshine State....

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Saw the actual news clip from a CBS affiliate in White Plains NY. They were actually leaving the station when this happended. Guy in the Mercedes is a dentist that became upset that the other guy was blocking the doc's access to his parking area. Doc shoves the other guy and actually climbs into the vehicle to move it.

Fortunately the police were right there and arrested him. IMO the driver of the parked vehicle did nothing out of the ordinary and his sister that confronted him did nothing out of the ordinary either.

Watch the whole clip beginning to end and catch the commentary from the reporter's perspective.

Doc was completely out of control and left in hand cuffs. As he should.

Draw down? No way.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    I'll depart slightly from the norm...this guy attempts to steal my car (doesn't matter how far he is taking it) and then hits my sister...I'm not shooting him but I am whoopin' his a$$!
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

I don't see anything to" draw" For....maybe leave the area,but "draw"...Hmmm?

I would have to say...no. But unlike previous posts, it would be a consideration.

Just like the good guy in the video, he seems like he is pretty healthy, which he probably is. But I have severe lower back issues. If I hit the asphalt, I could be wheelchair bound for the rest of my life.

What if he has such issues also?

Just because he looks healthy, doesn't mean he is.

Just trying to look at the situation a little differently.
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

no way would i draw in that situation.
    unless i really thought the guy was gonna kill me or someone else,
    which it doesn't look like from the video

Oh snap that was his sister?!!!1

I'd thought it was just some stupid bystander like the rest of the women that rolled in after she was pushed to the ground.
    Being dudes sister that changes things.

I wouldn't have shot him but I would have engaged and asked for his dance card.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links