Would you draw in this situation?

This is a discussion on Would you draw in this situation? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Flame me if you want but if my wife were in the car, regardless of this being/not being the case in the video, and this ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Would you draw in this situation?

Flame me if you want but if my wife were in the car, regardless of this being/not being the case in the video, and this man attempted to "steal" the car, I would interpret that as a threat to the life of my wife and would take all necessary actions, up to and including the use of deadly force to stop the threat on her life.
    Lex et Libertas ó Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    I see absolutely nothing in this incident to justify drawing a weapon. I suspect that had you drawn you would be talking to the Police. Drawing in this situation would prove to be a big, big mistake.

A Prosecutor would have no problem making you look like a paranoid wacko if you drew a weapon in a situation like this.

A lot of folks seem to be adding to the scenario. The question is, as this situation occured, would you draw. Not if xyz happen in a similar situation. In THIS situation you would have been wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    First, this is NOT a parking space dispute.

Look at the markings on the pavement. This is on the street, at a light. The guy wants the other guy to move his car so he can drive past as he yells at him to pull into a driveway.

I didn't see what happened before the video started. The video started with them both being outside of their vehicles. So I HAVE to assume that the first individual got out of his car when the second individual approached to contest the traffic situation (that was his first mistake. He should have stayed in his vehicle and called the police).

If someone approaches me in on the street, yelling, first, I'm not getting out of my car, but if I were out of my car (I'm not sure why I would be), I'm at least going to turn and protect my gun side while I command him to stop and say anything I can to calm the situation.

Now, keep in mind that the first individual's sister comes from somewhere, it's safe to assume that she was in the car with him and while the camera was off of them she got out of the car AFTER they moved the car. That means she was in the car when the "BG" (in this scenario) tried getting in the car to move it himself.

If anyone pushed me out of the way to get into my car with a family member therein, YES, I would draw. For all I know, this is an attempted kidnapping of a loved one and on top of that he's just assaulted me. At very least he's getting the crap pepper-sprayed out of him.

Now, if no family member was in the car and he tried to push me out of the way to get in my car, I would not draw my gun, but he's still getting sprayed and I'm calling the police while he tries to dig his burning eyeballs out of his head. No one man-handles me. I'm no match for someone his size physically and I don't know his intentions. He would have at least gotten sprayed if that were me.

If he backed off enough for me to get back in my car, I'd get in and drive away (to the best of my ability, seeing the traffic conditions).

It's not worth escalating, but this guy is in a permanent state of escalation in this video. He is itching for a fight and taking it out on everyone. There are at least three people that he assaults in this video. Any one of them would have been justified in at least spraying him.

Watch the video closely and you'll see this is no parking lot. With that in mind, does the scenario change for any of you?
    I have to agree 100% with Lima's assessment of this situation. I think she read the whole thing the same as I did and I agree with her take.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

In my humble opinion, you only draw when you intend to shoot. Period. If the situation changes such that you can make that snap decision to hold off, so much the better... but you better not draw unless you feel certain your life is in mortal danger and you are prepared to shoot. Otherwise you are likely to be charged with brandishing; in some states a felony.

Absolutely not. The man is no threat to me.

If I am watching this happen, I am already in condition orange. If he gets so pissed off that he starts rummaging through his clothes, I'll be ready. If he starts whaling on somebody for no reason, or if he pulls a knife or gun in front of me or anybody else, he'll have 16+1 9mm hollowpoints ready to give him a really, really, really bad day.

As it is, he probably wouldn't do something that stupid, but theres always a chance. Thats why one must be prepared.
    Last edited by JeffLrrp; November 15th, 2007 at 01:20 PM. Reason: didn't watch video. Stoopid !!

In fear of death or great bodily harm is the question, I don't see it.
    Unless I was the guy parking the car I would not get involved other than to call LE.
    By producing a gun you become the aggressor as he has done nothing to use lethal force against. With his state of mind I do not believe a gun would deescalate the situation.
    A firearm is the last resort if the gun is pulled so should the trigger.

Buz
    Quote Originally Posted by gotammo View Post
    In fear of death or great bodily harm is the question, I don't see it.
    Unless I was the guy parking the car I would not get involved other than to call LE.
    By producing a gun you become the aggressor as he has done nothing to use lethal force against. With his state of mind I do not believe a gun would deescalate the situation.
    A firearm is the last resort if the gun is pulled so should the trigger.
    here here.
    Couldn't have put it any better.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links