Too fat to be a hero.

This is a discussion on Too fat to be a hero. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SOLOLUCKY I SAY YOU DID GOOD!! Yeah you put yerself in risk but you already did that driving to the store. Life ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Too fat to be a hero.

Quote Originally Posted by SOLOLUCKY View Post
    I SAY YOU DID GOOD!! Yeah you put yerself in risk but you already did that driving to the store. Life is about calculated risk,. I 100% agree with CCWINNC. You can "live on the porch" all yer life but coming off the porch and acting is what makes you prove that life has value. 'For Me and Mine' is the theory but I will not stand by and let bad things happen to good people if I have the chance to right a wrong reasonably safely. Dangerous...maybe, foolish, judge not, but it was the RIGHT thing to do.
    WE must live by our morals and principals. I am aware of litigation issues but I do not let it control me.
    This is my opinion..it may not and does not have to be yours.
    Perhaps, but you are not much good to anyone if you make enough tactical errors to get yourself seriously hurt or killed or get yourself in a position where you wind up doing something you can't justify in court. This is less about morals and principles than it is about using your brain and common sense. Your morals and principles might dictate that you put yourself in harms way to save another human life but to do so to retrieve a lost purse....C'mon....you owe the people who depend on you better judgement.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by CCWINNC View Post
    You did the right thing. There is a problem with people that say you risked everything for a purse. BULL CRAP...that is the exact mentality that the crooks are looking for when they commit crimes. Passive do nothing on-lookers that take the easy way and wont give chase. Would you have just did the easy thing and stayed there, she would have lost her entire identity in that purse and who knoes what else. If it was my grandmother or mother I would be proud of someone stepping in to help her. You and your kind that step up to help others when in need are good people that are welcome at my table any time.

To the others whose attitude are me and mine only.... When your family member is in a similar situation when your not arround, I know you hope there are people like Seanwins arround.
    Thanks. Anything could have happened, but I'm still glad I stepped in. I wasn't running around brandishing my weapon or trying to play TJ Hooker. When I caught up to the lady I stayed with her and then waited for the cops.

If you reread my first post I was following the lady who was victimized. I didn't run after them in an effort to apprehend them. I can't imagine not doing it and I'm glad it was my first instinct.

Thanks to those with other opinions as well. I believe caution is important and I will exercise it at every opportunity.

Lead Moderator
    Following the victim was good to do, But stupid for her. 3-1 isn't good odds. We all must make on the spot decisions. You said you were winded after running? Gonna be hard to fight/shoot or run if they turn on you at the end of a chase.
    It is good to get these scenarios , so we all can try to plan what we might do in a similar situation. (what ever that might be) .
    In this age of civil suits and criminals getting light sentences while Good guys get hung out to dry , it is hard to do the right thing and retain your life, home and happiness. Chose wisely the first time, you may not get a second chance.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Way to go on being in condition orange. The simple fact is that the BG had the tactical advantage. And maybe not just him, maybe his three OTHER buddies that you never saw also had the advantage. Maybe you didn't see lookouts or other such personnel?
    We carry to protect life and prevent serious harm. Even when we don't carry, I'd imagine that we all still EXIST because we've decided to be strong enough, physically and mentally, to protect life and prevent serious harm. Your concern was with the victim, get between her and the BG if you have to, or create your own advantage by being unseen by the BG in another shadow or behind him. If she tries to give chase before you, try and STOP her! unless she's an off-duty officer, stay out of the pursuit. Keep reciting clothing color, facial hair, direction of travel, and relay that over 911. Units may be able to pick up the suspects before you ever see an officer.
    We are not the police, we don't have two reloads (usually), handcuffs, mase, a baton, or the best tool of all, a radio. You can't be your own backup. The tactical disadvantage was huge.
    All that being said, you're a standup guy, and I think everyone here admires your state of mind and willingness to put your whole life on hold to come to the aid of someone else. Well done.
    And yeah running would be good, we should all be on a fitness plan. It's about being better than the BG in all respects as much as we reasonably can.

You did the right thing. There is a problem with people that say you risked everything for a purse. BULL CRAP...that is the exact mentality that the crooks are looking for when they commit crimes. Passive do nothing on-lookers that take the easy way and wont give chase. Would you have just did the easy thing and stayed there, she would have lost her entire identity in that purse and who knoes what else. If it was my grandmother or mother I would be proud of someone stepping in to help her. You and your kind that step up to help others when in need are good people that are welcome at my table any time.

To the others whose attitude are me and mine only.... When your family member is in a similar situation when your not arround, I know you hope there are people like Seanwins arround.
    Amen Brother. You said it better than I ever could have but you summed up exactly how I feel very well.

One of the things wrong with this fine country is that there are far too few people willing to help out their fellow citizens when they are in need of it. It wasn't like that in years a decades past and we had a much more respectful and well mannered society, partly because those who would perpetrate crimes like the one described above knew that there was a very good chance any number of citizens would chase them down and beat hell out of them. We need to go back to that kind of citizenship in this country. We'd be better off for it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member
    You can beat this post to death, and it does not change the fact that some will and some won't---as for me, I will.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Your my new hero.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    You can beat this post to death, and it does not change the fact that some will and some won't---as for me, I will.
    Z
    Somehow the thread evolved into a discussion of "will you or won't you". IMO the issue in question was the wisdom or lack thereof of the OP's tactics.

I believe my initial reaction would have been to chase the thugs down as well. For some people, it's instinct to do the right thing even if it's not the smartest thing to do.

It wasn't the smartest thing to do, considering that they were in better shape than you and could have easily ambushed you in an area unfamiliar to you. Even if you came out successful, today's law tends to be in favor of the criminals, so you may face prosecution.

But you did the right thing, you tried to stop something wrong from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by credy View Post
    I believe my initial reaction would have been to chase the thugs down as well. For some people, it's instinct to do the right thing even if it's not the smartest thing to do.

It wasn't the smartest thing to do, considering that they were in better shape than you and could have easily ambushed you in an area unfamiliar to you. Even if you came out successful, today's law tends to be in favor of the criminals, so you may face prosecution.

But you did the right thing, you tried to stop something wrong from happening.
    I would say charging down a dark street into the unknown in defense of another person's life who was in immediate danger could be an act of heroism. Taking the same risk for someone's purse containing replaceable items might just be foolish. In this case I would suggest providing effective assistance to the victim by staying with her, making appropriate calls to LE and serving as an alert and credible witness and doing anything else possible to ensure her immediate well being. I admire the OP for his willingness to help another human being but In this case I think he put himself in a poor tactical situation and a very akward legal position.

VIP Member
    Glad it all turned out ok...maybe it was a learning experience...

seanwins,
    There need to be a whole lot more people in the world like you!

You did the right thing. There is a problem with people that say you risked everything for a purse. BULL CRAP...that is the exact mentality that the crooks are looking for when they commit crimes. Passive do nothing on-lookers that take the easy way and wont give chase. Would you have just did the easy thing and stayed there, she would have lost her entire identity in that purse and who knows what else. If it was my grandmother or mother I would be proud of someone stepping in to help her. You and your kind that step up to help others when in need are good people that are welcome at my table any time.
    To the others whose attitude are me and mine only.... When your family member is in a similar situation when your not around, I know you hope there are people like Seanwins around.
    +1 on that. Seanwins, sounds like you have a good mom & dad. You did them proud, they raised a good son. Mine taught me these words you probably know chivalry, honor and integrity. You may very well have saved that lady's life who knows what the dirt bags would have done if she alone was following them. Had you done nothing she may be dead. There are things more important than being safe and more to being a man than being able to pee standing. Better to die on your feet than live on your knees. You choose to be part of the solution and not part of the problem. You did right as a fellow Washingtonian, thank you for helping make this a better state to live in. PM me if you ever come out to the peninsula I'd be honored to buy ya lunch or over to meet my family.
    Last edited by LongRider; November 17th, 2007 at 04:18 AM.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

An alternate reaction. You are out of shape, you know it. If you carry a cell phone you could have called 911, told them where you are , what happened, and that the victim was chasing the Bad guys. That you are following the victim as quickly as you can to possibly avert a larger crime if need be. Keep them on the phone and keep giving updates as your breath allows. The sooner 911 is called the sooner the police can be there.

There is also another possibility of what has gone down, Just because it looks like a purse snach doesn't exactly mean it is, it could have been a ploy to lure you away from a populated area. You could have been the intended victim. It wouldn't have been the first time a decoy has been used. Food for thought.

I would have done the same thing. You don't know that my wife wouldn't have been their next victim. God forbid I die in the process . . . I wouldn't have died for a $300 purse, but defending our right to go to Best Buy and not be assaulted.

As for the lawyers, they can go jump in a creek. If I know I did the right thing, and God knows I did the right thing, I can still sleep soundly at night and deal with whatever consequences may come.
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links