Too fat to be a hero.

This is a discussion on Too fat to be a hero. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I needed to go to Best Buy tonight to pick up a new monitor, keyboard and mouse so I could make a laptop with a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Too fat to be a hero.

Too fat to be a hero.

I needed to go to Best Buy tonight to pick up a new monitor, keyboard and mouse so I could make a laptop with a dead monitor useful again (damn you VAIO). Anyways, I made my purchases and headed for my car with my arms full.

I try to stay aware of my situation when I am in public spaces at night, and especially when I'm weighed down with $300 in electronics. As I am making my way to my car I see three young men dressed kinda thuggish approaching the store walking slowly from a few parking aisles down and as I'm looking they change direction away from the store and towards me. I thought it was unusual behavior, as most people in parking lots are usually go from store to car or vice versa, and it set a little warning bell jingling.

I'm still 20 ft or so from my vehicle and my CCW is with me but I have an arm full of monitor in that hand. I figured if something bad happens I will just drop it but I quickened my pace and got to my car. When I turn around I see them walking away from me and towards a lady who was standing at the front of the Best Buy. I found out later that one of them asked if she would speak to him for a second. She stopped and when walked up to her he asked her if she knew what time a store behind her was going to close. When she turned and looked the guy grabbed her purse and took off. I saw it all happen from about 100 ft away.

As they bolt through the parking lot I take off chasing them and so does the victim. We chased them down a dark street and into some bushes behind an apartment complex. It was a narrow space about 5 ft wide with a chain link fence separating it from a parking lot on the other side. She ran down into the bushes behind him and I ran to the other side hoping to cut him off. A lady in a car was screaming that she was calling the cops and when I rounded the far corner I saw the guy hand the purse back to her and take off.

I stayed with her to see if she was ok (and also because I was totally winded from the sprint) and the guy ran off back into the Best Buy parking lot with some other guy chasing him. The cops eventually caught one of them but not the purse snatcher. The 19 yr old kid who caught up to the purse snatcher ended up fighting with him and his buddy and they got away.

Lessons learned:

1. I need to RUN MORE! I was breathing so hard, drawing a bead on a BG would have been sketchy.

2. My new holster will keep my pistol secure at a dead sprint. I kept wanting to grab it because I could feel it bumping my side but it never came loose.

3. Carrying a concealed weapon is a good thing.

4. People are willing to bleed (or at least get really tired in my case) to help other people they don't know.

5. My spidey sense is not too shabby!

I probably should have stayed with the lady. She could have had her ass kicked or worse by the time I got to the other side of the building. I couldn't have called 911 without letting her take off by herself. I'm glad someone else did but the cops took a while to get there. If the criminals had been armed or violent it would have been all over by the time the cops got there.

Did I do good? If I were closer could I have drawn to stop the thieves? Only if it became violent?

2. Remove Ads

You did good by helping someone. But, they were running away, on top of that, they were running with a purse. No life was in danger, so you might have got yourself in trouble just for drawing your weapon. Besides, other than drawing your weapon, did you think what you would've done once you caught up to one of them? Even if one of them pulled out a gun on the woman, at a 100ft away, the prosecutor would want to know why you drew your firearm that far away from the incident that was not even directed towards you.

To be honest, in the heat, I would've chase them down as well. Thats just instinct on my part, always willing to help. Would I have known what to do once I caught one of them, heck, I don't know either.

I can't completely judge your actions as I wasn't there, but it seems that you risked a lot over a snatched purse. Chasing fleeing thugs down a dark street into some bushes behind an apartment complex has all the potential for a real nightmare. I do hope you weren't contemplating producing a handgun to stop the fleeing punks. As you have described it, this seems to have turned out well enough but I think you were open to several tragic scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I can't completely judge your actions as I wasn't there, but it seems that you risked a lot over a snatched purse. Chasing fleeing thugs down a dark street into some bushes behind an apartment complex has all the potential for a real nightmare. I do hope you weren't contemplating producing a handgun to stop the fleeing punks. As you have described it, this seems to have turned out well enough but I think you were open to several tragic scenarios.
    That being said, I must admit that I did something similar to this myself many years ago. I got lucky too but thinking back on it I can see how foolish I was.

What if... you would have caught up with the BG and he turned quickly at you with a cell phone in hand? You mistook it for a weapon and the adrenelin caused you to fire? You are officially in a BIGGGGGGGGGG pickle.Your CCW allows you to protect yourself, not to be a cop.

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    It's good to stay with the victim......giving chase is another, all-together "not good" matter. In the case of a snached purse....let 'em go as advised by the others here. Wait around for the cops....they may eventually arrive....and be a good witness. You went home, with your stuff, and so did the lady, albit without her purse. It was a good night then.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by crankshop1000 View Post
    What if... you would have caught up with the BG and he turned quickly at you with a cell phone in hand? You mistook it for a weapon and the adrenelin caused you to fire? You are officially in a BIGGGGGGGGGG pickle.Your CCW allows you to protect yourself, not to be a cop.
    I think my lead foot would come down on his forward knee/inside of his thigh.

You never know- if a purse snatcher liked what he saw in her handbag, it could lead to a nice little home-invasion for her later in the evening.

I won't MMQB the decision- ya' done good. Take the lessons-learned and be sure and apply them.

No one was hurt is the most important part. Chasing after a thief is another matter.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

What Police Department are you an Officer in?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

VIP Member
    Phew - that's why I like cross-body purses. It makes me a harder target and I have my hands free to give a good smacking to those thugs.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

For the most part, you did a good thing. You made it a little tougher to be a purse-snatcher. You helped a victim get her purse back. One of the thugs was arrested. And no one was hurt.

On the flip side, things could have gone differently. The 3 guys could have buddies around the corner. They could have been armed as well waiting for you in a place with a lot fewer witnesses. Would you have chased them if you weren't carrying a gun? You made a split second decision and everything worked out OK. Now you can spend some time and decide if you would do it again.

Lead Moderator
    Sounds like you ID'ed a threat, then reacted to another . As for chasing someone down, it is risky. Perhaps thinking thru what can/might happen now will help you make the best decision you are comfortable with next time.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

You did the right thing. There is a problem with people that say you risked everything for a purse. BULL CRAP...that is the exact mentality that the crooks are looking for when they commit crimes. Passive do nothing on-lookers that take the easy way and wont give chase. Would you have just did the easy thing and stayed there, she would have lost her entire identity in that purse and who knoes what else. If it was my grandmother or mother I would be proud of someone stepping in to help her. You and your kind that step up to help others when in need are good people that are welcome at my table any time.

To the others whose attitude are me and mine only.... When your family member is in a similar situation when your not arround, I know you hope there are people like Seanwins arround.
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

thats why i dont carry a purse. or if for some reason have extra stuff i need to carry, then sometimes i do, but neither my wallet nor phone nor knife nor gun is in it. At worst a digital camera and my extra mag.

oh, and in my opinion. you did the right thing

+1 Ccwinnc
    I wear a seatbelt, but I hope to never need it, I use smoke detectors in my house, but I hope to never need them, I carry life insurance, but I hope to never need it, I carry a weapon, but I hope to never need it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links