Angry biker with road rage

This is a discussion on Angry biker with road rage within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Before I start, I've gotta say that it's partially my fault. I didn't know that the road was only one lane (right lane ends literally ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Angry biker with road rage

Angry biker with road rage

Before I start, I've gotta say that it's partially my fault. I didn't know that the road was only one lane (right lane ends literally about 20 ft after turn). I didn't see the lane end because it was dark and I'm unfamiliar with this route home. I had to cut off the biker or run off the road into a construction site. I chose to cut him off

I would have been angry too if I was the biker, I know how scary being cut off can be when on a bike.

Anyways, this guy tailgates me, revs his engine and flashes his brights. My apartment complex was only about 100 feet down the road, and I turn in. He follows me. Luckily I live in a gated community and once he saw the security guard up front he made a U turn back onto the road.

My question is what would you guys do in this situation? Would you continue on your way home, call the cops while still driving (don't see a license plate because the guy is behind you) or something else?

People really need to cool down on the road, mistakes happen. And I haven't had one ticket in 7 years of driving.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    If he kept following, I would have called 911 and drove to the nearest station, unless a car was closer. Even and accidental cutting off can escalate quickly.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Hummm..."apartment complex only 100 ft down the road"...and you didn't know the area or the roads???

Putting the shoe on the other foot...wonder what would of happened if you had hit the biker or caused him to lose control of his bike...just curious of course.

Sounds like the fault was yours...I would of stopped at the guard gate...gotten out and apologized...with the guard in sight.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Hummm..."apartment complex only 100 ft down the road"...and you didn't know the area or the roads???

Putting the shoe on the other foot...wonder what would of happened if you had hit the biker or caused him to lose control of his bike...just curious of course.

Sounds like the fault was yours...I would of stopped at the guard gate...gotten out and apologized...with the guard in sight.

Rick
    Yeah, I know it was my fault. And I would have helped the guy if he did get in an accident.

I didn't know the road because I never travel on it, mainly due to the heavy construction and traffic. I've lived here 3 months and been on it like twice, I always use the highway to the south.

Quote Originally Posted by credy View Post
    My question is what would you guys do in this situation? Would you continue on your way home ...
    Absolutely not.

With an aggressive tailgater, I generally drive toward a place with lots of people, lots of witnesses. Have only needed to contact police on the road a couple of times, and in both cases the assaulting party decided prudence was a different course of action.

Don't kick yourself too hard. You had the choice of crashing, or squeezing into a spot. I would have done the same thing. The "biker" didn't realize there were no options, apparently. Wouldn't undertstand, rather. Nobody has call to assault others, neither by tailgating or otherwise.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

As a motorcycle rider myself.. I have been cut off countless times, and I can tell you that 9 times out of 10.. I should have seen it coming and backed off. I am generally ALOT more aware when I am on my bike. Call it condition 'red'.. that a confrontation is going to happen.. I know people in cars do not pay attention. I have investigated many accidents, and I can tell you when there are two parties involved.. you can always find out that one of them could have done something different.

If the lane ended 'literally 20' after the turn' how fast were you going that you could not see this with your headlights? All the flashing lights and marker cones in a construction sign are there to get your attention.. most people view them as an annoyance..

If you look at it from the outside.. you could have been paying more attention to the road.. the biker could have noticed another vehicle entering in a construction zone and found his 'way out'. There was no accident which is a good thing.. so no party is really at fault. Had both parties been paying attention, it would have never gotten to that.

I think driving to your residence with him following you wasn't a bright idea. If he is really hell bent on causing harm to you or your property, he now knows where you live.

I would have driven to a popular area with lots of people (wally world parking lot or something like that) while on the phone with the police giving location updates.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Quote Originally Posted by credy View Post
    Before I start, I've gotta say that it's partially my fault. I didn't know that the road was only one lane (right lane ends literally about 20 ft after turn). I didn't see the lane end because it was dark and I'm unfamiliar with this route home. I had to cut off the biker or run off the road into a construction site. I chose to cut him off

I would have been angry too if I was the biker, I know how scary being cut off can be when on a bike.

Anyways, this guy tailgates me, revs his engine and flashes his brights. My apartment complex was only about 100 feet down the road, and I turn in. He follows me. Luckily I live in a gated community and once he saw the security guard up front he made a U turn back onto the road.

My question is what would you guys do in this situation? Would you continue on your way home, call the cops while still driving (don't see a license plate because the guy is behind you) or something else?

People really need to cool down on the road, mistakes happen. And I haven't had one ticket in 7 years of driving.
    Partially your fault. ... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. What did the biker do to cause you to run him off the road?

If I were you, I would have called the cops on myself for my own stupidity and for recklessly endangering a biker and insist that I be cited for reckless driving and wanton disregard for the biker's safety.

A fender bender in a car (running over pylons, etc. ...) can mean serious injury up to and including death to someone on 2 wheels.

You choose to cut off the biker due to your poor driving skills (you did NOT have to cut off the biker) and possibly cause him injury and death only 100 feet from your apartment complex.

Crashes happen when people are reckless while in control of a vehicle. I don't care how many years you have been driving without a ticket. That means nothing to me if I am the biker you almost killed. If your wanton disregard for my safety potentially causes me to be seriously injured or die (because your lack of attention and reluctance to get some scratches on your car) then you should be called on the carpet for it.

And you are posting here hoping for some type of sympathetic response with tactics to counter the "evil" biker. You should be thankful that you did not harm the biker and have to live with the repercussions of your negligent actions.

Distinguished Member
    Your steering wheel is a lot like your firearm----wheel control vs muzzle control ---- you gota have control.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

I had to cut off the biker or run off the road into a construction site. I chose to cut him off
    Let me understand what you are saying

You are in a car with air bags ETC. 100 Ft to your apartment complex.

Your speed was too fast to safely PULL to the side of the road ??????

And I haven't had one ticket in 7 years of driving.
    Not been caught??

The Biker is on his bike with only his skill & alertness to keep from getting hurt/killed

With 40 years in the biker community.

IMHO your lucky you didn't have more serious trouble.

BTW: He know what your car license number is, what kind of car you drive, knows where you live and knows what you look like.

Think about it.
    Last edited by Beans; November 14th, 2007 at 02:03 AM. Reason: spelling error

I have found that a lot of the new breed of middle aged Harley wanna bes are downright rude and tend to be bullys.They think their biker costume gives them super powers.I had one actually stick his head in the drivers window and yell at my wife as she was stopped for a light for some driving imperfection.The biker retracted his punkin when he saw my 1911 pointed at it.He had no further comment.oh yeah, I have had a cycle license for 35 years and have ridden plenty.I just mind my own business and drive defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by crankshop1000 View Post
    I had one actually stick his head in the drivers window and yell at my wife. The biker retracted his punkin when he saw my 1911 pointed at it. They think their biker costume gives them super powers.
    Hm. Some think guns give them super powers, as well.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm with the biker on this one. When I'm cut off on my motorbike, I certainly lay on the horn and flash my brights. My assumption is that the driver either didn't know I was there, or is simply an . Either way, he's going to know I'm there now...

It's interesting that you would qualify this situation as "road rage". Had it been me, I would have been revving the engine as well, looking for the earliest opportunity to get around you, since I clearly can't trust your ability to drive. Granted, I probably wouldn't have followed you off the road, but still...

No matter what the biker's response, the only thing you can do is analyze what you could have done differently, and learn from what happened. No one was hurt, so focus on the things you can learn from, and stop worrying about the biker's reaction. This is the only way to reduce the chances of something like this happening again.
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

I am also a biker, and like others have said Ive been cut off, ran off the road, and back in the mid 80s I had to swerved to avoid a head on resulting in me wrecking, and breaking my back in four places.

And just a few months ago, while going through a small town in central Florida with a speed limit of 35 mph, I had a trucker without notice move over in to my lane, like we where not even there. Fast thinking on my riding buddys part allowed me an open lane to move over into. We then stopped a the next traffic light, called 911 and reported the trucker (with his tag number) for reckless driving.

While I can see from you post that you regret your actions, that day you made a decision to take a chance on hurting the biker, instead of yourself.

That in part is attempted murder or at the very least reckless driving on your part. The biker who followed you may have merely been trying to get your tag number. If Id been him, I would have waited at the gate for the Leos, and filed a complaint.

Sorry, can't feel for you. You could have killed the biker vs. some damage to your car.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links