Defensive Carry banner

Robbery going down with your kid inside

5K views 67 replies 42 participants last post by  Joe R 
#1 ·
You drop off your teen-age daughter at a CVS/Walgreen type store to pickup some OTC medications. You pull up to the front door and let her out. She has her cell phone, you tell her you will park the car and meet her inside. You watch her go in as you pull away.

Its the 1st Saturday after thanksgiving so the lots is full of shoppers, you find a empty stall, park and head for the store. The time is 4:00 pm, so lighting and visibility is good.

As you approach, your about 50 feet from the store front, a car pulls up fast and stops by the front doors. 2 men jump out and head for the store, as they approach the store you can see them pulling masks over their faces, and the driver waits in the car out front.

They are now inside the store---it is unknown to you if they have any weapons, and your child is now inside with them.

You have your CCW and a cell phone plus whatever else you normally carry. Its your move.

#2 ·
First call my daughter and tell her to find a hiding place...out of the way...in a corner, make herself as "little and quite" as possible. Next call to the police...inform them. Does this Walgreen have a drive up? If so I would make my way to them and inform them. I don't think I would bust in. I would probably draw my weapon and station behind some cover as close to the front door as possible without being seen by the BG. If you could go in a back door...that might work, but being a drug store...I doubt if you could. Actions after that would be dictated by the actions of the BG.

#3 ·
Sitting here, Quarterbacking from the safty of my livingroom, Calling 911 and stationing myself close is the best course of action......just let it go down and standby to take whatever other action, if it becomes necessary.

Now emotionaly, my girl is in there, I may just want to get in there and secure my daughter. That, however, may just make the situation worse. Escalating a bad position would not be the most disciplened response.

#4 ·
I may get chastised for this, but I'm drawing my gun, covering it by taking off my jacket so no one can see, and I'm going in right then. I'll look like just another customer to the BG's.

If I have time for phone calls to warn her and notify the police, that's good. But I'm going in, period, and I'm not waiting. I'll pretend to be an unassuming customer right up until I do what needs to be done, whether that is finding her and taking her out the back, or removing the threat altogether.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I leave my daughter inside a store alone with armed BG's, regardless of whether it costs me my life or not. I'll have the element of surprise, and the element of determination. Protection of my family is my primary reason for being on this earth, and I'm not going to shy away from it because I might get hurt. Escalate the situation? If needed to save her life, you betcha.

I couldn't live with myself if I stayed outside calling the police, and my child was killed. I'm going in now, without hesitation.

Easy call.

#5 ·
Hopefully, grady, you have discussed this type of sisuation with your daughter....being in a place that is being robbed. This is a conversation that needs to be done especailly if you aren't with her. Going in as another customer is not such a bad idea...if it can be done, but I would still first call my daughter and give her a heads up and find out where she is...so if I did go in unnoticed I could go right to her.
I don't think busting through the door with gun drawn would be a good idea, but if you can come in under the "radar" and evaluate the sisuation...that would be good.

#6 ·
My kid is in there? I call 911...give address of location, description of car, license plate--and I'm going inside...I'll leave my phone on, connected to 911....find my kid and head out a fire/emergency door, alarms be damned, checking my 6 the whole time. If BGs have a problem with me leaving, I will let them know I disagree...and then reload.

Not realistic? Well, if it comes down to it--that's my plan. There is no way in he!! I'm leaving my kid in there to be a hostage/victim.

#9 ·
well not the smartest idea but i would probably call the police, grab my rifle out of the truck, and hope they come outside with their weapons. but with the local police responding as fast as they normaly do i prolly wouldn't have closed my trucks door before they arrive.

#10 ·
Goosebumps

Reading this gave me goosebumps because it reminded me of a case I know a little about. My agency responded to this call:

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?ID=3234

Some of my very good friends in the FD and ambulance company worked this call, I was cancelled, but talked to them later. The "rifle" was actualy a shotgun, and was found to be unloaded. Aparantly dad was minding his own business waiting for his kid to get off work, when he noticed suspicious behavior or got a "feeling" so he waited in the store instead of his car. He was shooting for his life regardless of whether or not the BG's gun was loaded, and he won.

So to answer your question. Think, move, and shoot.

#25 ·
Reading this gave me goosebumps because it reminded me of a case I know a little about. My agency responded to this call:

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?ID=3234

Some of my very good friends in the FD and ambulance company worked this call, I was cancelled, but talked to them later. The "rifle" was actualy a shotgun, and was found to be unloaded. Aparantly dad was minding his own business waiting for his kid to get off work, when he noticed suspicious behavior or got a "feeling" so he waited in the store instead of his car. He was shooting for his life regardless of whether or not the BG's gun was loaded, and he won.

So to answer your question. Think, move, and shoot.
omg - ditto with those goosebumps. I also would be: 911 + walk in acting like a condition white customer

#11 ·
Normally, be it anyone else I wouldn't go in, but with the scenario having a family member with a phone inside it's a whole different ballgame.

1. If she had a phone, I'd try to get some sort of warning in to let her know to hide.
2. Next call would be an open line to 911 with the phone in my pocket.
3. I'm going in as a prospective "customer" to take care of mine if need be.

I think this type of scenario also shows the importance of preventative planning with the kids. In other words, make sure they know what to do if you give them a certain code word or something. It's also worthwhile to start working them in on keeping their phone's on VIBRATE. I know everyone likes all these newfangled ringtones they have these days, but they annoy me to begin with, let alone the idea that calling them inside to warn them to hide may well get them caught because of the audible ringtone.:icon_neutral:

#12 ·
call 911. Give location, what is going on. Leave phone on in my pocket, then I'm going inside before it becomes a hostage situation when the cops arrive. I'm not drawing though, I'm walking in looking just like another customer, pretend to be another submissive sheep. They will be distracted enough. I can then play it as I see it, if I sense that I even need to draw I'll do it when they are looking elsewhere if at all possible, that should be the easy part.

#13 ·
just another hitch to add - in Kansas Walgreens are posted non-concealed carry, so what if you dropped her off, and were waiting in the car(so as not to violate the signage) and you saw this going down...?

#15 ·
sorry - just to clarify - our local Walgreens is posted, evidently it is not a corporate policy to post, just a local one...

#18 ·
may get chastised for this, but I'm drawing my gun, covering it by taking off my jacket so no one can see, and I'm going in right then. I'll look like just another customer to the BG's.

If I have time for phone calls to warn her and notify the police, that's good. But I'm going in, period, and I'm not waiting. I'll pretend to be an unassuming customer right up until I do what needs to be done, whether that is finding her and taking her out the back, or removing the threat altogether.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I leave my daughter inside a store alone with armed BG's, regardless of whether it costs me my life or not. I'll have the element of surprise, and the element of determination. Protection of my family is my primary reason for being on this earth, and I'm not going to shy away from it because I might get hurt. Escalate the situation? If needed to save her life, you betcha.

I couldn't live with myself if I stayed outside calling the police, and my child was killed. I'm going in now, without hesitation.

Easy call

I have to agree with "grady" no way will i leave my baby boy & wife inside by themselves. I just could not live w/myself..........

#53 ·
From one versions of the story:

Arthur Hayhoe, the executive director of the Florida Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, said this case is "a tough call" for a group that favors strict gun laws.

He said he won't "second-guess" a parent defending his son, but Hayhoe is troubled with the second shooting. "It's still a shooting of an unarmed person, and that's always troubling." he said.

So you don’t have to ask if it is loaded but Arthur would rather you let the BG pick up the gun/rifle/shot gun before you shoot them to defend yourself otherwise it is not fair. . . :aargh4: UNBELIEVABLE!!!

#20 ·
Call my daughter and calmly tell her drop what she is doing and quietly leave the store immediately. Call 911 give info and discription of car and license plate#. Wait another 30 seconds. If daughter wasn't out I'm going in. If daughter came out we're leaving.

#21 ·
Wow. Unnerving scenario. I know what the smar thing to do is here, and that is what you guys are saying: call 911.

Not me, though, friends.

If either of my daughters is in there, I am, too. I'm not drawing just because I'm going in. But I AM going in there.

Beyond that, I really don't know what I'd do. It would just depend on how the situation develops.

#23 ·
I'm not waiting to use the phone...I'm going 'calmly' in after my family...I would try to get them out the back, but whatever happens, happens...
I've seen robbery vid's where the BG's turn their back on customers...big mistake in MY favor! This is either my chance gather family and escape out the back, or start putting out 'lights'...tricky call...damn, certainly not a situation I want to be involved in...

I don't want 'arriving police' to assume I'm part of the 'party'...I may call 911 if I can leave out the back with family in tow.

Tough scenario...

#26 ·
I'm going in as the unassuming customer... with my cellphone out calling my daughter. Having a conversation like where are you in the store, did you find the OTC meds you were looking for, etc. is not going to alert the BGs. Besides, they have to be aware with all the people that someone should be waltzing in at any given time. Once I cleared the BGs I can get down to the details with my daughter and have her exit the emergency door and wait by the car. Next call is 911 with the general description of the vehicle and its location.

At that point I would be making my way to the same exit as my daughter did to make sure she got out and leave the same way. The BGs will probably not be thinking straight and think the fire door alarm is a robbery alarm anyway and will probably leave right then and there.

On a side note I frequently have my little sisters in my car that are 15 and 12, respectively. I'm a volunteer firefighter and can be paged out at any time and I've already got them to the point of them asking me questions on what they should do if I'm paged-out for a fire call. Sometimes I'm taking them to the store, sometimes somewhere else and it's a good starting point for getting them to think of the what-ifs.

Cheers.

#27 ·
This goes against the "grain" of this thread but I would not go in.

Why would I want to escalate a "no shots fired" robbery in to a "shots fired" robbery? Chances are the robbery will go down with no shots fired. If that changes I will respond appropriately.

I would assess the situation and call 911. I would also be praying and making a plan for if the situation changed, (Actually I already have a plan). Something else to think about, in conversation with convicted robbers, they expect the first person to come in the door after them to be a Police Officer. Do you want to try to get to your Daughter now?

Biker :tumbleweed:

#29 ·
Something else to think about, in conversation with convicted robbers, they expect the first person to come in the door after them to be a Police Officer. Do you want to try to get to your Daughter now?

With the inmates in the house I worked, there were two flavors: those that would/had killed at the drop of a hat, and those that "unarsed the AO ASAP."

I would seriously contemplate going in. I would be reluctant to call my daughter, since one can assume a high pucker factor inside, if a robbery has just been announced, and the phone of a kid obviously under driving age starts to ring....where exactly are mom/dad, hmmm, oh, the parking lot. Maybe better, maybe worse.

Could panic the driver into leaving his buddies. You could get shot walking in. Walking in and breaking laterally would offer the BGs the front door as a ready bail-out, vs being driven into a corner of the stores trading shots with an unknown (you.)

Call 911. Good. But sirens can generate unintended consequeces as well. Is your child a better hostage than the old lady behind the counter?

Three BGs indicates at least some basic experience and planning. Most current robbery teams are violent, so....

One could of course, "approach as a regular customer", shoot the driver with a quick volley to the head & chest, and get under cover, and let the folks inside ponder what was going on...all the shooting and no sirens or squealing tires? More of an option in Colombia than Columbus, but the guys I knew would have gotten outside pretty fast, and scattered when they saw homie dead and no one around; wondering WTF was going on.:blink:

No really good answers. Call 911 or go in.

#31 ·
First, call 911!!!!!

Now, if this CVS is like most, the main cash register is in the front and the pharmacy is in the very back. If they are only hitting the store for the cash in the front, then they will be back out and gone by the time you've called 911.

More likely, they are after money and drugs, so one BG will have to control the front entrance, while the other goes to the very back of the store. Not a good situation for one armed citizen, particularly with a third BG just outside. Probably the best course is to stay close to the entrance without appearing to be anything more that just another shopper in condition white.

If the BGs come out without firing a shot, then just be a good witness. If shots are fired, then I would render their driver unable to drive or provide support to his buddies, and see what happens next. At that point, rushing in the door would probably be a bad move. It would either get you very dead or create a hostage situation with your daughter as hostage.

#32 ·
My kid is in there? I call 911...give address of location, description of car, license plate--and I'm going inside...I'll leave my phone on, connected to 911....find my kid and head out a fire/emergency door, alarms be damned, checking my 6 the whole time. If BGs have a problem with me leaving, I will let them know I disagree...and then reload.

Not realistic? Well, if it comes down to it--that's my plan. There is no way in he!! I'm leaving my kid in there to be a hostage/victim.

+2

#34 ·
No, I'm not trusting the BG's to "do the right thing".

Once my Daughter is inside the store with the BG's she no longer is my Daughter. She is a potential hostage and victim. Maybe you can't "turn it off" like that, but I can and have. My wife and I have had long talks regarding these type of scenarios due to my occupation and former occupation.

What I do know is that statistically I'm better off, and so is my Daughter, if I do not interject myself in to the scene. Like I said, this depends on if I hear shots being fired or not. If I do go in I fully expect to be in a gunfight and to probably die. Real life isn't the movies. As much as we want to play "Bruce Willis" or some other celluloid hero, it just isn't smart.

I will let the robbery go down and not alert the badguys to me or my family. If I hear shots fired then the gameplan has changed. For those of you advocating going in, how many of you have the "capability"?

Here's a little test for you:

3 Targets, 5 Yards, 7 Yards and 10 Yards, one to two yards between targets.
From the leather draw and place one shot in the head on each target
Total allowed time 4 seconds.

Did you get all head shots in the A Zone? You pass.
Did you miss, run out of time or hit the target outside the A Zone? You died, GAME OVER.

Before you go barging in to a situation you better know your capabilities and evaluate them honestly. Your life, or someone you love may depend on it.

#36 ·
No, I'm not trusting the BG's to "do the right thing".

Once my Daughter is inside the store with the BG's she no longer is my Daughter. She is a potential hostage and victim. Maybe you can't "turn it off" like that, but I can and have. My wife and I have had long talks regarding these type of scenarios due to my occupation and former occupation.

What I do know is that statistically I'm better off, and so is my Daughter, if I do not interject myself in to the scene. Like I said, this depends on if I hear shots being fired or not.

Before you go barging in to a situation you better know your capabilities and evaluate them honestly. Your life, or someone you love may depend on it.

Generally, I agree and do indeed understand (re, what I said: how "serious" the BGs appear to be.) Point being, if you hear shots, you're reeaally playing catch up.

#38 ·
:image035: Just a short statement , My kid or Grandkids. I am going in and try to look like i an a sheep. with (3) combat tours in cbt arms . I a better than even odds to get my kids out. At the very least unhurt,My life be damned.:tumbleweed:

#39 ·
I've been tested...and tried....so let's not go there....I've proven my capabilities....and can pull (and have pulled) the trigger when needed.

However, my goal is to get in, get my kid, and then get out ...if while I am in there they decide to start something, I'm still headed for an emergency exit....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.