Robbery going down with your kid inside

This is a discussion on Robbery going down with your kid inside within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You drop off your teen-age daughter at a CVS/Walgreen type store to pickup some OTC medications. You pull up to the front door and let ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Robbery going down with your kid inside

Distinguished Member

Robbery going down with your kid inside

You drop off your teen-age daughter at a CVS/Walgreen type store to pickup some OTC medications. You pull up to the front door and let her out. She has her cell phone, you tell her you will park the car and meet her inside. You watch her go in as you pull away.

Its the 1st Saturday after thanksgiving so the lots is full of shoppers, you find a empty stall, park and head for the store. The time is 4:00 pm, so lighting and visibility is good.

As you approach, your about 50 feet from the store front, a car pulls up fast and stops by the front doors. 2 men jump out and head for the store, as they approach the store you can see them pulling masks over their faces, and the driver waits in the car out front.

They are now inside the store---it is unknown to you if they have any weapons, and your child is now inside with them.

You have your CCW and a cell phone plus whatever else you normally carry. Its your move.
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

2. Remove Ads

First call my daughter and tell her to find a hiding place...out of the way...in a corner, make herself as "little and quite" as possible. Next call to the police...inform them. Does this Walgreen have a drive up? If so I would make my way to them and inform them. I don't think I would bust in. I would probably draw my weapon and station behind some cover as close to the front door as possible without being seen by the BG. If you could go in a back door...that might work, but being a drug store...I doubt if you could. Actions after that would be dictated by the actions of the BG.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Sitting here, Quarterbacking from the safty of my livingroom, Calling 911 and stationing myself close is the best course of action......just let it go down and standby to take whatever other action, if it becomes necessary.

Now emotionaly, my girl is in there, I may just want to get in there and secure my daughter. That, however, may just make the situation worse. Escalating a bad position would not be the most disciplened response.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I may get chastised for this, but I'm drawing my gun, covering it by taking off my jacket so no one can see, and I'm going in right then. I'll look like just another customer to the BG's.

If I have time for phone calls to warn her and notify the police, that's good. But I'm going in, period, and I'm not waiting. I'll pretend to be an unassuming customer right up until I do what needs to be done, whether that is finding her and taking her out the back, or removing the threat altogether.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I leave my daughter inside a store alone with armed BG's, regardless of whether it costs me my life or not. I'll have the element of surprise, and the element of determination. Protection of my family is my primary reason for being on this earth, and I'm not going to shy away from it because I might get hurt. Escalate the situation? If needed to save her life, you betcha.

I couldn't live with myself if I stayed outside calling the police, and my child was killed. I'm going in now, without hesitation.

Easy call.

Hopefully, grady, you have discussed this type of sisuation with your daughter....being in a place that is being robbed. This is a conversation that needs to be done especailly if you aren't with her. Going in as another customer is not such a bad idea...if it can be done, but I would still first call my daughter and give her a heads up and find out where she is...so if I did go in unnoticed I could go right to her.
    I don't think busting through the door with gun drawn would be a good idea, but if you can come in under the "radar" and evaluate the sisuation...that would be good.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

My kid is in there? I call 911...give address of location, description of car, license plate--and I'm going inside...I'll leave my phone on, connected to 911....find my kid and head out a fire/emergency door, alarms be damned, checking my 6 the whole time. If BGs have a problem with me leaving, I will let them know I disagree...and then reload.

Not realistic? Well, if it comes down to it--that's my plan. There is no way in he!! I'm leaving my kid in there to be a hostage/victim.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    My kid is in there? I call 911...give address of location, description of car, license plate--and I'm going inside...I'll leave my phone on, connected to 911....find my kid and head out a fire/emergency door, alarms be damned, checking my 6 the whole time. If BGs have a problem with me leaving, I will let them know I disagree...and then reload.

Not realistic? Well, if it comes down to it--that's my plan. There is no way in he!! I'm leaving my kid in there to be a hostage/victim.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    If BGs have a problem with me leaving, I will let them know I disagree...and then reload.
    That's a great quote.

well not the smartest idea but i would probably call the police, grab my rifle out of the truck, and hope they come outside with their weapons. but with the local police responding as fast as they normaly do i prolly wouldn't have closed my trucks door before they arrive.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Goosebumps

Reading this gave me goosebumps because it reminded me of a case I know a little about. My agency responded to this call:

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/infor...em.asp?ID=3234

Some of my very good friends in the FD and ambulance company worked this call, I was cancelled, but talked to them later. The "rifle" was actualy a shotgun, and was found to be unloaded. Aparantly dad was minding his own business waiting for his kid to get off work, when he noticed suspicious behavior or got a "feeling" so he waited in the store instead of his car. He was shooting for his life regardless of whether or not the BG's gun was loaded, and he won.

So to answer your question. Think, move, and shoot.

Normally, be it anyone else I wouldn't go in, but with the scenario having a family member with a phone inside it's a whole different ballgame.

1. If she had a phone, I'd try to get some sort of warning in to let her know to hide.
    2. Next call would be an open line to 911 with the phone in my pocket.
    3. I'm going in as a prospective "customer" to take care of mine if need be.

I think this type of scenario also shows the importance of preventative planning with the kids. In other words, make sure they know what to do if you give them a certain code word or something. It's also worthwhile to start working them in on keeping their phone's on VIBRATE. I know everyone likes all these newfangled ringtones they have these days, but they annoy me to begin with, let alone the idea that calling them inside to warn them to hide may well get them caught because of the audible ringtone.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

call 911. Give location, what is going on. Leave phone on in my pocket, then I'm going inside before it becomes a hostage situation when the cops arrive. I'm not drawing though, I'm walking in looking just like another customer, pretend to be another submissive sheep. They will be distracted enough. I can then play it as I see it, if I sense that I even need to draw I'll do it when they are looking elsewhere if at all possible, that should be the easy part.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

just another hitch to add - in Kansas Walgreens are posted non-concealed carry, so what if you dropped her off, and were waiting in the car(so as not to violate the signage) and you saw this going down...?
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

Quote Originally Posted by 2AMomma View Post
    just another hitch to add - in Kansas Walgreens are posted non-concealed carry, so what if you dropped her off, and were waiting in the car(so as not to violate the signage) and you saw this going down...?
    In such a situation, the anti sign doesn't mean a thing to me.

Well, I have some thoughts about the sign, but I can't post them here and still be abiding by forum rules.

sorry - just to clarify - our local Walgreens is posted, evidently it is not a corporate policy to post, just a local one...
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links