Time for some refresher training w/ the wife...

This is a discussion on Time for some refresher training w/ the wife... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, guess the wife hasn't "absorbed" our discussions about potential situations in the house. Last night I was watching some football when some thing caught ...

Thread: Time for some refresher training w/ the wife...

Time for some refresher training w/ the wife...

Well, guess the wife hasn't "absorbed" our discussions about potential situations in the house.

Last night I was watching some football when some thing caught my eye out the window in the back yard. (thru a partially drawn blind....) I calmly go to the master BR, where the wife is watching a movie, with one of our ridgebacks on the bed with her, tell her I'm going to check it out and to stay put on the bed.

I grab the S&W and a mag light and quietly head out the front door, and around the back of the house. As I come around the back of the BR, what do I see? The wife has opened all the blinds (they had been closed, basically a full wall of floor to ceiling windows) and is standing in the fully lit room, nose against a window!

Turns out it was a false alarm, but boy did I have to control myself when I came back in and nicely explain why what she did was the worse possible thing...Maybe time for something more than "tabletop" drills we've done...

Anyone else "tested" they're significant other and been not so pleasantly surprised?

-KD

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Well, guess the wife hasn't "absorbed" our discussions about potential situations in the house.

Last night I was watching some football when some thing caught my eye out the window in the back yard. (thru a partially drawn blind....) I calmly go to the master BR, where the wife is watching a movie, with one of our ridgebacks on the bed with her, tell her I'm going to check it out and to stay put on the bed.

I grab the S&W and a mag light and quietly head out the front door, and around the back of the house. As I come around the back of the BR, what do I see? The wife has opened all the blinds (they had been closed, basically a full wall of floor to ceiling windows) and is standing in the fully lit room, nose against a window!

Turns out it was a false alarm, but boy did I have to control myself when I came back in and nicely explain why what she did was the worse possible thing...Maybe time for something more than "tabletop" drills we've done...

Anyone else "tested" they're significant other and been not so pleasantly surprised?

-KD
    Good going in not going nuts afterwards, wanting to is understandable but nothing good will come of it (ask me how I know!)

I've found the best thing, once my wife was willing to get some training, was to take a course with someone credible. IMO they usually say the same kinds of things I read here and there and would tell my wife anyway, but it makes a big difference credibility-wise when it comes from an ex-cop or instructor or the like rather than from me. Such a person will come across as much less critical of any misconceptions or mistakes also, which I think goes further towards correcting bad habits. I'm ex-military and prefer the fast and blunt approach to being told I'm doing something wrong, but most normal people prefer otherwise.

My wife and I woke up one night thinking we heard something downstairs. I grabbed my Hi-Power (this was before I got my XD45) and Maglight. Our upstairs hallway was a bridge that allowed me to cover both doors and the living room from above. I start flashing my light downstairs looking for anything out of the ordinary. I only flash the light for a second or two and then move. If anyone looks at the light, their night vision is gone and I'm not where they saw me last. My wife follows me out about 10 seconds later and turns on all of the upstairs lights hoping that will illuminate the downstairs as well. What she didn't think about was the fact that I was now silhouetted and a perfect target to anyone downstairs. In her defense, I hadn’t explained how to handle those situations and why. We have a better plan now.

I now look at lighting as an defensive tool that is nearly as important as the gun you choose. It should probably be discussed as it's own subject.

XS, I think you're hit the nail on the head - doesn't matter what the subject is, she has a strong tendency to not listen to me, but will take advice from others, even if they don't have the experience or credentials to back it up. Can't count know how many times I've dealt with this when on our boat, so I guess it shouldn't be a surprise...

It was just scarry to think what could have happened - she not only backlit herself, but literally moved from very good cover and put herself into what would have been my line of fire...

Anyone able to recommend a good "tactics" trainer in the Houston area?

My wife has been tested in a simular situation we had someone in our back yard. She hurded the youngin's to the bedroom and got the 911 thing started while I stood armed in the hallway (only way into the bedroom).

Personally I think you lost all tactical advantage by leaving your *castle*. You didn't know how many threats where outside or even their exact location. Those are things you can never be sure of. Hell they could of even gotten the drop on you. It would of been in your best intrest to find a location in the house were you have the ability to cover a large area with few ways in as possible.

-Alex

XS, I think you're hit the nail on the head - doesn't matter what the subject is, she has a strong tendency to not listen to me
    Someone please explain this to me.

A 'wife' who 'doesn't listen' to her husband.
    Makes no sense whatsoever. I'm dumbfounded.

Yeah, right.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    XS, I think you're hit the nail on the head - doesn't matter what the subject is, she has a strong tendency to not listen to me, but will take advice from others, even if they don't have the experience or credentials to back it up.
    I think its inherent in the gender. Mine won't listen and just ignores me. When she gets sick she won't go to the doctor but will go to work. One time she said she was sick and wasn't going to work. I then "forbid" her to go to the Dr. She was at his office within 3 hours.

Of course I'm a little headstrong myself.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Training time could be a life saver here.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

PS I think you need some refreshing training to keep your butt in the house.

What she did was pretty dumb, but you went out all alone...

I'm a big believer in defending my castle and not going on one-man patrols.

If I stay put in a good defensive position, the BG has to come to me and mine. When the LEOs do arrive, it will be a lot easier for them to mop up from the outside in.

Yeah, going outside wasn't necessarily the best option, but in our very small yard with a "L" shaped layout, it's actually pretty easy to clear visually from good cover.

All the "easy" entry points of the house are at the base of the "L", which is pretty much well lit from the light escaping the windows. I can clear from the top of the "upright" from good, dark cover, and work my way down to being able to fully observe the base of the "L" from a dark area behind brick...actually not a bad tactical position.

That said, if I KNEW someone was back there, I'd stay inside, especially since it will only take one good blow to knock out a glass door or full size window. But I'm not going to call 911 and hide inside for every little noise in the back yard, given that I haven't had or heard of any crime problems in our neighborhood in the 10+ years I've been here...

Links