Orlando FL - fast food armed robbery the other night

This is a discussion on Orlando FL - fast food armed robbery the other night within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was reading the police blotter online and saw that a Wendy's on E. Colonial Drive got robbed the other night by 3 armed robbers ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orlando FL - fast food armed robbery the other night

I was reading the police blotter online and saw that a Wendy's on E. Colonial Drive got robbed the other night by 3 armed robbers and a getaway driver accomplice. Per the report, the 3 robbers came in with masks and armed with pistols (2) and one with a shotgun, getaway car with driver outside. At least no one was hurt. The report didn't make it clear whether or not the patrons were robbed also, or even if there were any patrons inside at the time.

This robbery occurred at 2:30am, but I don't see why it couldn't have happened any other time after dark. Other than not being there, would you be or how would you deal with the situation if you were sitting eating in the fast food joint when this happens? This has caused me to mull over a few things, a big one for me is that I just about never eat in fast food joints at least to sit down. Even if you were heavily armed with a powerful CCW and lots of rounds, if the bad guys get in the door and weapons up, it's too late for you or even Chuck Norris to do something about it, isn't it? Fortunately I've never been in a fast food place when anything bad even smelled like it might happen, the only tip I can think of is to keep a wary eye out including the parking lot, while standing in line to get my order and leave.

Any other tactical ideas or tips if you were to find yourself in the situation? Not being there when it goes down, i.e. bolting, seems best to me.

There have been other restaurant armed robberies in the Orlando area with the M.O. of 3-4 armed attackers who swarm in almost like a SWAT team. One gang of them included a taser in their loadout and they used it on the patrons as well as pistol-whipping someone they didn't think was forking over the loot fast enough. Not pleasant to think about but I thought was worth bringing up again.

I think that's the Wendy's we drove through while in Orlando for my daughters cheerleading competition. Scary thought!

Also scary thinking about 3 BG's rushing in, guns up, and getting the drop on you. Not much you can do (it looks like) except let it go down and hold your draw/fire unless it becomes necessary.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

neutralize the guy with the shotgun 1st...
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    Three against one is not good odds. And if the driver was watching the customers through the windows while talking to the 3 BGs on a cell phone, that could make things worse. Look for an exit. Try to be invisible. If you thought things were going to go bad, take down the guy with the shotgun first. After that, you will have to make decisions very fast.

no superheros here. take cover if possible,dail 911 if possible, and pray. from
    what i heard,playing hero there will more than likely get you killed.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    In LEO training they used to refer to "Tomestone Courage". You know, when your ego overloads your common sense and you think you are bullet proof. Such folks usually end up dead.

Three guys, guns up? Not good odds. If things start to go bad, you still have the advantage in that they do not know you are armed. And as others have said, go for the shotgunner first!

Getting into a shoot-out just because, is suicidal thinking. Just because you are armed doesn't always mean you will be able to draw.

With 3 in the store and one in the car, there is a good chance they have planned this out.

If it looks like they are going to take out witnesses, you have nothing to lose. Otherwise, I'd play it cool and quiet.

I try to avoid Wendys but I know where this one is. I agree w/ digitalexplr.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    In LEO training they used to refer to "Tomestone Courage". You know, when your ego overloads your common sense and you think you are bullet proof. Such folks usually end up dead.

Three guys, guns up? Not good odds. If things start to go bad, you still have the advantage in that they do not know you are armed. And as others have said, go for the shotgunner first!

Getting into a shoot-out just because, is suicidal thinking. Just because you are armed doesn't always mean you will be able to draw.

With 3 in the store and one in the car, there is a good chance they have planned this out.

If it looks like they are going to take out witnesses, you have nothing to lose. Otherwise, I'd play it cool and quiet.
    Sounds sensible to me. I'd love to have seen it coming enough in advance to bolt out the opposite side of the restaurant (assuming they all came in one way) and call 911 while high-tailing it out of there. Once they got the drop on you though, trying to keep a low profile and cooperating enough to not get shot sounds like the only feasible plan to make it out in one piece. With the exception as you state of it starts looking like they're going to get rid of witnesses, or if they're going to find out you're armed and will get violent with you when they find out, then going for broke and get as many of them as possible is the only thing left then.

Make yourself as small as possible, and wait for it to end.
    If you think they're about to start shooting, drop the shotgun 1st, then QUICKLY change location and drop the next closest threat.
    Make sure you're at least in concealment, if you can't find cover.

Perhaps toss a chair through a window to 1. create a distraction and 2..give yourself another exit if needed.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

This is one of those deals where I just don't place myself in a fast food restaurant at 02:30 dark in the morning with my wife, kids, or anyone else. If I'm out and about at that hour, it's drive through time. However, if I am in this situation, I'm flat on the floor underneath a bench or something with weapon drawn. If they start to come around to the customers to rob, then it's anything goes if I feel my life is in danger.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Distinguished Member
    Don't rock the boat, but if they start rocking it---- well help them sink it.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

I didn't think the 'dining area' was open at that time? Isn't it usually only the drive-thru that is open?

I'm probably 2-3 hours from Orlando...and the wife wants to go to a new store (IKEA) that has just opened up there...I dread the trip.
    I keep hearing of all kinds of crime down there...not anxious to go, but she making it difficult to say no!

This is just another example of the abundant supply of 'dirtbags' that roam that area...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Stirling XD View Post
    Three against one is not good odds. And if the driver was watching the customers through the windows while talking to the 3 BGs on a cell phone, that could make things worse. Look for an exit. Try to be invisible. If you thought things were going to go bad, take down the guy with the shotgun first. After that, you will have to make decisions very fast.
    +1

Do nothing to escalate things. If they escalate, move away from my loved ones (if they are with me) and start delivering accurate fire and hope for the best.

I work in McDonald's, and often I'm the only manager on duty, so if we get robbed I'll be the one dealing with it. Obviously, running the other way (my first choice in any situation like this) is not going to be an option. I've often considered what I would do in case this should happen. (I don't have a CCW yet, it's on the way, but a gun's only one tool in the toolbox, right? I also have knives, belts, shoelaces, 335 degree oil, etc.) Of course, our company policy is the standard "Stay calm, give them what they want" and I fully intend to do this, if it appears the BG just wants money. After all, it's not my money, and that's why the owner has insurance. If it appears that they're going to hurt someone (myself or someone else) however, then a little misdirection and all bets are off.

I have to quantify though, in my area we've never had (to the best of my knowledge) a multiple-assailant robbery in a fast food place. So I've always only considered only one BG as a threat. Now that I'm thinking about it, I realize it's foolish to limit myself, and need to considered multiple assailants. I don't think my strategy would change at all from 1 to 3 assailants. I would just have to consider if I did need to engage them, start evaluating them by threat level - and yes, in the scenario in the OP, definitely take out the shotgunner first.
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

Semper Vigilans et Paratus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links