Prowler cuts power... - Page 2

Prowler cuts power...

This is a discussion on Prowler cuts power... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Pete Zaria He went out the front door with his "baby eagle" .40 cal C&L, proceeded to "sneak" around the back, and ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Prowler cuts power...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    He went out the front door with his "baby eagle" .40 cal C&L, proceeded to "sneak" around the back, and caught the "BG" (it was, in fact, the same prolwer as before) beginning work on the back door with a crowbar. The "BG" ran at the shout of "FREEZE!". No shots were fired. Police were notified shortly afterwards.

How do you see it? How does the situation change if there had been family present in the house?
    Assume that you do have a cell phone.

If you waited inside, is B&E with a crowbar justification to shoot? If he successfully breeched the door, would you confront ("STOP OR ILL SHOOT") or shoot first and ask questions later?
    I think cutting my power, forcing my back door open with a crowbar, and entering is enough to be "in fear of my life" and I probably wouldn't wait to see if he wanted to borrow some sugar. But is it a legal shoot? Probably varies state by state.
    If I understand the scenario, you have a goblin who likely knows there is someone home (unless he is sitting in his house in the dark) and has the cojones to cut the power and break in!

If that is accurate, I suspect you are looking at more than a mere burglar. I would guess he is also armed and very dangerous.

Knowing that (and I think we have to always suspect that to be true), the world is safer without this piece of pond scum around. 2 COM and 1 H sounds like the best of options. OMO.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

911, then 00 and .45 if required, all from a place of concealment inside.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

If he's cut the power, he ain't there to to sell girl scout cookies.
    I'd bet "cut the phone lines" were next on his to do list
    then..enter the house and (he thought) do whatever he wanted to do
    Staying in the house would be the safest thing to do, but I don't know if it would be the "right" thing to do.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

VIP Member
    While I think the overall right answer is to wait inside and see what develops, I'm not so sure that is the safest thing--'cause then it is the two or three (if there's more than one) of you in the house; what if you lose the tactical advantage or the bg is faster. It might be hours till someone finds your battered bod.

My knee jerk (and proably not wise) reaction would be to get to a tactical postion outside; one from which I have an advantage and can also escape. Maybe let the bg in, and then slip off to a neighbors to call the cops.

Another option, not mentioned yet--bg at back patio door with crow bar; scoot out the front door and head for a neighbor's house. Sure bg will get in, but perhaps the pros will show up in time to grab him.

One thing for sure, the bg in this scenario is big trouble. Time for the auto-loader 12 gauge.

Prowler cuts power...

He had heard "ruckus" as he put it, at their back door, near the power meter a few minutes ago.

What would you do at this point, with the information given?
    I've been in such a situation before, where the "ruckus" ended up being the wind knocking over the lids to some trash cans in the area, simultaneous to power being doused at the house. Headed to the "safe" area and awaited confirmation of the "ruckus." As it wasn't a problem with intruders, in my case, I did not end up calling anyone.

However, in such a case where I could positively identify a "ruckus" by intruders, I likewise would make it to the "safe" area, call 911 for backup and then hunker down to await the intrusion.

If you waited inside, is B&E with a crowbar justification to shoot? If he successfully breeched the door ...
    BG with a weapon actively breaking into my home is a grave and immediate threat. I would absolutely disallow entry, using whatever means were required.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    My knee jerk (and proably not wise) reaction would be to get to a tactical postion outside; one from which I have an advantage and can also escape. Maybe let the bg in, and then slip off to a neighbors to call the cops.

Another option, not mentioned yet--bg at back patio door with crow bar; scoot out the front door and head for a neighbor's house. Sure bg will get in, but perhaps the pros will show up in time to grab him.
    As has been pointed out, what if the BG is not alone? He could have a buddy hiding in the front bushes waiting to be let in the front door.

You inside and behind cover, him outside trying to get in is the best and safest tactical advantage. Make 'em try to fight their way into your "castle."

Put the light on them as soon as they breach the doorway, then shoot to stop if they advance.

Also, arriving LEOs can better sort out who is who if you are inside and the BG is outside.

As I think about this, I realize that it brings up several issues for me.

I live in a house with a front door, garage door, and 4 sliding glass doors (1 to Fam. Rm., 1 to K, 1 to office, 1 to Master Bathroom shower). In addition, like many people today, 3 of our 4 phones are portables. No power, no phone. Only 1 (in the office) would work.

The 'power' is closest to MBa, and furthest from the garage. There is not a particularly 'safe' area in the house because of all the sliders.

Someone cutting our power and then attempting to enter our house would put us in big trouble and not many safe places. Cell phone and calling 911, and waiting to hear which door is used for entry would be the options. I'm not happy right now.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Maybe I am misinterpretting, but I am disturbed by this line of reasoning (also noted on other threads) that a justification on use of force is to prevent other crime(s) happening elsewhere (thus being a saviour of others). I sure hope that is not used as a defense...I believe you will lose in court...and borders on vigilantism (sp).

Rick
    I am sorry you feel this way, but you have the right to feel however you want about someone breaking into your house. You can call police, sit and eat cookies with them or whatever you want, not me.

In Texas I am well within my rights to put holes into you after you have or have not cut my power and are entering my house with a crow bar. If you have any questions about the law, your free to look it up, I will not loose in court. Vigilantism, no, I am not the one going out and looking to impart justice, I am in my home minding my own business. Anyone that needs to get into my house either has a key, or the code to my garage door, or my cell phone number. If your coming through a window, door or anyplace else without a key your up to no good, and I don't intend on discussing your intentions after you have broken into my house to see if you mean me harm or not.

Oh, and this is also a good reason to keep an old type phone in the house, that isn't cordless or reliant upon electricity. Ours is in the master bedroom, same place where most of the guns are. Cell phones are good for those that don't have the old type phone.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Yup, if it's dark and it's Texas, it's pretty much a legal shoot. Texas really gives the good guys a lot of latitude.

Not to mention that usually, if you hear about a home invasion on the news, quite frequently it ends up with a ventilated perpetrator. And never heard of a homeowner being charged.

Hell, we had a guy the other week shoot two burglars coming out of his NEIGHBORS house in BROAD DAYLIGHT. Shot them dead. Even told the 911 dispatcher he was gonna do it. And, believe it or not, he hasn't even been charged yet! Though even by Texas' 'good guy' friendly laws he's on shaky ground. But if it had been dark, there would be no question about legality. There is a thread about this somewhere. I posted the pertinent statute. It's pretty amazing really.

But, hopefully this gives the general idea of the view in Texas. Actually, in the 6 years I have been living in Texas, I have yet to hear about someone being prosecuted for shooting a BG.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    In Texas, yep, it is legal to shoot. It is your choice whether you give the warning of stop or I'll shoot, but that won't be heard at my house.

And yes,most times your better off staying inside your house instead of going outside to confront the BG.

Had he immediately called the police and waited inside to see if the BG was successful in his attempt to enter the house, the BG might be caught now or not able to continue his burglaries in the neighborhood.
    +1 in Texas there would be no problem with the BGs demise, after entering your home....day or night.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

I'd get to my safe zone within the house, call 911, and prepare my last method of defense. If a BG enters my home, he'll have holes in him.

The only real thing that has 'sparked my concern' with this thread is a few continually saying that he's breaking in with a crow bar, is that enough of a weapon? I used to think oh well, it's only a crow bar and as long as he's at a given distance I'm in no harm but the more I carry and friends of mine carry, I've learned a few things. You can have guns, multiple guns, all concealed and hidden away. While the BG may appear to only have a crow bar, he could also have a firearm. I'm not willing to take the risk, and I'm well within my legal right to carry out my method of defense.

So...too bad for the BG, he chose the wrong house to tamper with. I, as are most I believe, am not looking to kill someone. We all are just looking to stop a threat and protect our family and our lives. I'm not shooting to protect my neighbors or a house three blocks away from getting broken in to. I'm protecting myself from a potentially violent intruder in that flash of time I've got.
    "I play for keeps."

For me it would be difficult to do the all the right things ... stay in, cell call to the cops, barricade, defensive position, warn guy off, flash lights on door, etc etc.

My instincts are to extremely cautiously check it out and in this case if BG makes any kind of advance or threat, use the 44.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

that is a pretty weird story i must say. almost like something out of a hitchcock film.why would they cut the power? did the BG know someone was home or not?...strange
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

I have a question to ask..why did he cut the power? Did he know if someone was home? How would he see? Using a flashlight, depending on the home setup a flashlight moving around might be noticable from the outside. So did he have some type of night vision.

I'd have to think he knew someone was there and was ready for it. If it had been me he wouldnt have got any warning once he made it in my house, well if he had super hearing and hear my trigger break.

Someone jingles my door I'm ready to roll, reminds me of my ex wife now, we had some problems and she said she wasnt coming home that night, she called and i was like so were are you, said she was on the other end of the city and not coming home, well a few mins later i hear what sounded like the door being jiggled. I told her to be ready to call 911 not sure she heard me anyway, I moved to the hallway of our apartment, lets face it apartments are drywall so I figured take a stance and pop whoever comes through the door, well any way in she bops trying to surprise me she came home, well she was surprised when she was on the business end on my G19, her mouth was wide open. I told her just how stupid are you, was some good make up sex but we still wound up in divorce court hahah,the thing is i didnt get nervous and start shakin until after i sat down and put the gun up at the time it was going on i was focused on what was going on and ready to act...

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    As many have said... The real clincher is the fact that the power was cut.

Bottom line for me is family to safety, wife dials 911 and I await the BG. If he enters he wins the boobie prize and gets a double tap prize.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links